I'm not good with titles either
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm not good with titles either

Hello everyone. I skipped that introduction part of the forum, mostly because I'm not the must-have-lots-of-posts kind of guy and partially because I'm not that good when it comes to talking about myself. Not much to say, there's some stuff about me on my profile.

Anyways, I've been lurking on these forum for a while now and I must say, you really seem like a cool bunch. I was tempted to make a thread, ask for critique (which I'm obviously doing right now) but I thought that my drawings were not worth it yet. Mainly because I'm doing just sketches for now. Today I've decided to make a thread and present some stuff from my sketch book (newer pieces, older ones are on my dA profile) in hopes of getting some constructive critique and advices.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  104.9 KB

And for the end, here's my first (and so far, last attempt) at adding value to a sketch.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  92.2 KB

I really prefer when someone who knows about this stuff more than me, points out my mistakes and gives a good advice over getting a comment such as: "wow that's perfect", while I myself feel that something is wrong with the drawing and can't figure out what. Make's me uncomfortable.

Being unemployed and low on resources (in form of money) I decided to educate myself. I always loved art and drawing but it's only up until recently (about 5 months ago) that I took it more seriously. Lately, I've been trying to figure out how the "colors work" and all that, but I think the best idea would be to put that aside for some time and focus on perspective, proportions, composition and such.

All of these are my personal concepts/designs.

Aside from this stuff, I've been also doing a lot of raw basics including: simple shapes in 1,2 and 3 point perspective, curved lines and surfaces and such. I started with pencil and paper (I still do basics on paper) and later gave Battlefield 3 for Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. My friend saw no further use for it since he switched to "street art" but wanted to play that game so he was willing to trade.

My sketchbook. Let me show you it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome!

Straight off the bat, we would absolutely love to see more and more detailed stuff. These are just sketches and not a lot can be said about them. They are sketches. You mentioned perspective - keep practicing it. If you spend even an hour or two drawing every day your skill will rocket.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Blog - Check it out. It's fun.

Sketchbook - I should really update more often.

Portfolio - The most fun of them all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked the 3rd sketch!
    Though didn't get the 1st one??
    so the only thing you need to work on is your finishing and you need to be clear on your concept!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @aaron2 - Thanks man. Well the first one is actually a really really rough sketch that I did in a rush just to capture the idea.

So yesterday I decided to take one of these sketches and do some detailing. Here's my work so far:

Name:  MSQT WIP 2.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  48.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumping this thread. I would like some crits or an advice/suggestion on what to do next here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  42F.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  108.3 KB

Well, no one said anything about the line art so I tried tome colors.

As usually, because of my lacking skills, it didn't turn out as I wanted/expected it to. I'm hoping for some comments here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not at my ease with mechanic stuff, but the line look ok... You're main problem here are sharpness of colors and general texture understanding: everything is smooth and not following any of the suggested angles, like it's made with paper and cardboard.
    It's made of metal, so you can really go with strong light, definite shadows and spot and other reflection...

First, try to define where your light come from, then put the shadows accroding to that direction and ad the spotlight on the angles... You may be more confortable by doing volumes with gray value and then colors overlay.

Mechanics part and robots are not easy to do because everything need to be precise, but I'm sure you can do it nicely !

edit : ah, maybe something a little odd, I'm not sure the leg on the right is at good size, maybe a perspective distortion but it doen't look to be part of the same model and is very small compare to the other ?

Last edited by Griffonnage; December 11th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean. Thank you very much!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.