Fine Arts Senior Solo Show.... Lost :(
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fine Arts Senior Solo Show.... Lost :(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fine Arts Senior Solo Show.... Lost :(

For a bach. of arts, I need to have my own senior show. I do a few different mediums, but primarily ceramics and oil painting.

Im having issues though..... Because I love ceramics so very much... but I dont see myself going anywhere with it after school since it is so expensive.... But I do want to at least have a few pieces in my senior show.

As for painting, everyone thinks Im going to have oil paintings and all that only. My issue is though, Im so lost on a subject for my senior show.... I cant nail down exactly what I want my show to be about and what style.

I feel as though I havent developed my own style yet. My painting professor is from moscow, and shes about 70? Shes very VERY into abstract and so on, and I never have been a big abstract artist. Shes teaches that its about the painting itself ( texture , brush stroke ) etc rather than the subject matter.

I feel that Im better at figurative paintings, portraits, painting from life etc. But maybe thats just because I havent dived into abstract much?

My previous friends have had big shows, one was a big political and had ( deep meanings ) behind each painting .. lul... My other friends did nature stuff and turned nature abstract.

Im just confused and lost and have no idea how to nail down a solid theme/idea for my show and what style

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is YOUR show, you should do the kind of work YOU like to do. After all this is basically advertising for what you'll be doing after school. Which is presumably going to be YOUR work, not your teacher's work, and not your friends' work.

So instead of thinking over what your teacher likes or what your friends did, maybe you should spend more time brainstorming on what it is you're really interested in.

Also, I don't know if a theme is required, but if it isn't, what would be wrong with simply assembling a collection of your best pieces?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner T View Post
    As for painting, everyone thinks Im going to have oil paintings and all that only. My issue is though, Im so lost on a subject for my senior show.... I cant nail down exactly what I want my show to be about and what style.

Im just confused and lost and have no idea how to nail down a solid theme/idea for my show and what style
    This does not bode well. I don't mean to be overly blunt about it but how can one earn a B.A. degree lacking the basic premise of art making...which is statement and having something to say?

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    This does not bode well. I don't mean to be overly blunt about it but how can one earn a B.A. degree lacking the basic premise of art making...which is statement and having something to say?
    By doing exactly what the teacher asks for? Sometimes the assignments are so targeted, you don't even have to think about what what it is you actually WANT to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    By doing exactly what the teacher asks for? Sometimes the assignments are so targeted, you don't even have to think about what what it is you actually WANT to do.
    Your first thought should ALWAYS be what you WANT to do. Otherwise what's the point?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do what excites you and then find a way to spin it. Your style and interests are going to change over time anyway, so just pick something you're genuinely interested in and if people don't like it, don't worry. Keep doing what interests you and find a way to craft better bullshit to support it.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the responses

I mean there are alot of things I love to paint and create. But Im not like alot of artists were I have this deep philosophical meaning behind each piece.... maybe I just liked those colors? Maybe I just liked to paint a nude female? Do I need a message/meaning behind each piece!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not try closing your eyes, and letting your mind drift. What do you like, I mean REALLY like.
    Make images of that. what ever it may be.
    If you like the nude figure, do the nude figure. If you like colors, focus on color.

If you want to send a message, send a message.

Think of it like music. There are some bands, that make rock operas with each album, each telling a story. Then look at a lot of punk bands and folk musicians, who spout political messages, and try to change the world. Then there are the bands that focus on sex and sensuality. some music which is all about making noise, some that is just to dance to (the equivalent of just to look at).
    If you wrote poetry, what would it be about?
    Can you tell a story with a piece?

I'd say, if you want to, or need to make a theme, think of a chapter in your life. be it school, a relationship, a trip to the store, a political event, something you feel strongly about, because you cared, or it was/is a part of yourself. Take this premise, and tell stories with your creations.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the responses

I mean there are alot of things I love to paint and create. But Im not like alot of artists were I have this deep philosophical meaning behind each piece.... maybe I just liked those colors? Maybe I just liked to paint a nude female? Do I need a message/meaning behind each piece!?
    You have to make some sort of emotional connection with your audience or else they aren't going to see any reason to come and look at your stuff over staying home and watching TV. It's helpful if you have something to tell people about your art that they are going to remember. And let's face it, "I like boobs" might be funny, but it doesn't exactly stick in the mind.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the responses

Of course you don't need some kind of deep philosophical meaning behind everything you do...but you ought to at least know what you're trying to say. I like these colors is perfectly valid. What if you were a writer? You'd just write a bunch of stuff? Disconnected sentences...maybe some vocabulary...copy out of the phone book?

Sorry, it's just to me communication and statement are the core of art or creative endeavor...asking others what you should say or do is the antithesis of art for me.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could always do a series about this... Your confusion on where your going and finding your place in the art world?

MY SKETCHBOOK

Sketchbook Support Group!
    JTAART
    M-MIN
    KASHMIR

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, you don't have to brainstorm (overthink) the philosophical bullshit behind everything you do as an artist. The biggest philosophers in Asian art painted fish. And flowers. Don't think, just paint. Or make ceramics. Do what you really love, and let other people contemplate the meaning of it. And Ceramics is fine art. It's not the medium, it's the thought and care invested.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.