The Nectar Creeper [WIP]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Nectar Creeper [WIP]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Nectar Creeper [WIP]

Just really starting using digital tools, constructive crits welcome & embraced!
    I've set myself the challenge of doing this finished challenge over on cghub (http:///forum/showthread.php?t=11830).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I more detailed sketch would do a lot of good here.

At the moment we're looking at a mix of octopus and a spider with 4 legs sniffing a flower. There isn't much to take in. The scale seems to be nonexistent and we have no way to tell whether it's a huge creature or a tiny insect. The composition is scewed and feels unbalanced. There is something incredibly wrong with the insect's legs, have you looked at any insects for reference? There is a sense of space however, with the trees in the background lighter. This is good. Basicaly, at the moment there is too little in the image to be able to give any constructive critique.

Good points to start with would be to gather reference on insects and how their legs work. Also, where are his right legs? Gather reference on how the head is contructed.

The flower is cool thought. I like the flower.

Blog - Check it out. It's fun.

Sketchbook - I should really update more often.

Portfolio - The most fun of them all.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoolhoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoolhoo View Post
    I more detailed sketch would do a lot of good here.

At the moment we're looking at a mix of octopus and a spider with 4 legs sniffing a flower. There isn't much to take in. The scale seems to be nonexistent and we have no way to tell whether it's a huge creature or a tiny insect. The composition is scewed and feels unbalanced. There is something incredibly wrong with the insect's legs, have you looked at any insects for reference? There is a sense of space however, with the trees in the background lighter. This is good. Basicaly, at the moment there is too little in the image to be able to give any constructive critique.

Good points to start with would be to gather reference on insects and how their legs work. Also, where are his right legs? Gather reference on how the head is contructed.

The flower is cool thought. I like the flower.
    Thanks, yeah i've done some insect studies but i've not really applied them have i. I'm gonna take the design of the insect back out and redo it. It's supposed to be a small insect but my perspective makes it seem rather large. But for you posted i'd do some of the colouring so i'll post it anyway because that's an aspect i very much struggle with.

Back to the drawing board, i might change the whole image because i don't know how to get a sense of scale from this perspective, as the creature is supposed to be small!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Thanks for the pointers Thoolhoo i've tried to redesign the creature and the whole image really.

Edit: Some back story incase anyones interested in the direction i'm going to take this.

This insect would be found in some sort of alien forest the forest grows through some strange nutrients in the ground, the ground might glow, almost a radioactive green colour. The plants that my insect is about to feed off also have this slight glow and the insect to survive requires this resource so the areas that aren't covered by it's outer shell will glow because of this substance going through its body after past feedings. The shell or exo-skeleton of the insect protects it from the spikes on the plant.

Last edited by Katastrophi; November 30th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just minor changes really now for this, i'm not learning much of this painting anymore i need to go back and do lots of practice on actually drawing texture and colouring observation. Gonna go back to drawing still livess i think. haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.