Art: Ejiwa Ebenebe - Illustration Portfolio 2012

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ejiwa Ebenebe - Illustration Portfolio 2012

Hello everyone! Honestly I don't really have much to say. I would just like to get an honest critique of my work thus far As my title suggests I'm interested in illustration and I'd like to know what I should be improving. Feel free to check out more of my work here: Peppermint-Pinwheel Thanks in advance!

Name:  pepper_ablaze_brighter.png
Views: 1195
Size:  1.26 MB

Name:  illumination_small.png
Views: 1181
Size:  1.39 MB

Name:  ejiwa_ebenebe_orial_3DTOTAL.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  255.0 KB

Name:  web_2012_01_11_01_smaller.png
Views: 1164
Size:  948.1 KB

Name:  mother_earth_small_ejiwa_ebenebe.png
Views: 1172
Size:  960.9 KB

Name:  beneath_the_rising_sun.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  404.1 KB

Last edited by Pepperwheel; November 29th, 2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Resized Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember seeing your work before! (: I think since you're interested in illustration you might try doing more pieces with more of an event taking place in them. Right now you have portraits of several interesting characters, but there's not much range in subject matter. I like that you have some really stylised work along with more painterly pieces, but I think you might experiment even further with style, or medium. The most important thing for your portfolio, in my opinion, would be to add in some pieces that are totally different from these.

edit- Hitsu makes some really good points! So I think my opinion is more relevant when applying to a college rather than for a job, since I've heard colleges really want to see variety and that you have a wide range of strengths.

Last edited by erysium; December 6th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to erysium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a nice clean illustration style, that I think is popular right now. I agree with the comment erysium made above. I would like to see more story in your work (I'd like to see more in my own as well... working on it.). I think that when artists start drawing we tend to put all kinds of ideas and stories down on paper, but as we try to improve our techniques we tend to think more about the presentation and less about the content. Eventually we realizes that all we ever draw are posed hollow characters. It is the story that gives the illustration life. All of the little details in the story add up into a compelling whole in the final image.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't agree with Erysium (sorry miss) when she says that you have to put some different work on you portfolio cause continuity is really important for illustration career, obviously because your clients have to be sure that you will deliver the exact quality that you're showing off on those images, if you have one picture in there that's different in style they'll get confused and they will start to think if you're achieving your results by lucky or something.

Although i totally agree with Shorinji_Knight about the fact that an illustration is a piece of story, the most successful illustrators out there are always telling a story when they draw something because if you do a picture that can make your viewers think about what's going on in a good way you're sure that piece is going to be remembered instead of being just a subject because you had to draw something in your illustrations.

Anyway i really like your simply and cartoonish style, very effective and aims straight to the matter, the problem is there's no matter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much everyone! (Hello erysium ) I totally understand all of your points regarding story and content; It's something I'm definitely aware of and currently working on correcting. I definitely want to get away from the empty, pointless character feel... As you said Hitsu, there is no substance to my work. I will make sure to update soon with better, improved pieces! Thanks so much again, please keep the crits coming It's great to hear them; very motivating!

Oh I have a question, sometimes my pieces are aimed more at creating a mood or a feeling than a story. Would that be considered fine art instead? In that case should I be splitting those off from my illustration portfolio?

Last edited by Pepperwheel; December 7th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, because mood is part of a story. In the concept art - entertainment field mood paintings are used to establish general colors and aspect of an environment but in the illustration side more often they can tell exactly what's going on and the most beautiful illustrations are done for this purpose. To make you an example one of the best illustrators i can remember that uses the same principle in his work is John Avon.

So yeah... keep them in your portfolio.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That makes sense, thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really love the styles u put into ur illustration. each one got a unique and different and totally cool aura and feel to them.
    i especielly like the one with the girl in the water and the one with the tree head girl.
    i think you are really good at drawing girls n thats probably why i see you do those alot, but i kinda wish there where different subject matters to view thou.
    it gets alittle repetitive to see girls after girls, with the bird an exception. maybe more creatures or places? haha

Fishness for Fishess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your style clearly indicates that you have what it takes to pursue a career. I wouldn't worry so much about "creating" stories for your work. Illustrators are usually hired to demonstrate stories written by others.
    My advice is to simply begin illustrating stories that "others" have written. I believe that by illustrating stories others have written, you will naturally see more narrative story-telling showing up in your layouts. You can re-imagine classic tales, or partner with friends who write. Or you can scour the net for writers seeking illustrators, and make an arrangement to split profits with a writer who is just starting out like you.
    You may end up with little to no money (at first) but it's a good way to quickly build a portfolio addressing all of the issues suggested.
    (I actually began my career by contributing flyer-art for my favorite bands) ; )

Right now your work is sufficient enough to move forward. You have imaginative ideas and a unique point of view. A lot of your learning will come from on the job training, and studying masters. Also, constantly sketching friends and family will strengthen your "faces".
    You seem to have a passion for fantasy and fairytales. Unless you want to promote toothpaste and corporations, you might wish to keep fantasy the focus of your portfolio, and not waiver. Children's storybooks seem to be your market. Perhaps animation as well.
    Keep at it. You have a bright future ahead!

Members who have read this thread: 1