Redoing my basics- is this the right way?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Redoing my basics- is this the right way?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Question Redoing my basics- is this the right way?

Hi! I've been around concept art for a few years and been looking at artists, seeing what they're studying,
    found out about Bridgman, Bammes, Loomis, Vilppu, etc and started studying anatomy and figure drawing
    after them. But I am at a point where I think that I rushed to much and my basics are to shaky.

So now I am getting back to the traditional pen and paper (I mainly sketch and draw using my wacom
    and photo references) and study the sphere, cube, cylinder, setting up my own light and still life composition,
    and after that, I intend to ask my friends to pose for me, so that I can draw the human figure as well. I think
    I neglected the importance of the real life model far enough. Translating 3D objects into a 2D drawing
    is not the same as 2D reference into 2D drawings, that finally got through my thick skull..

I thought of looking at Vilppu's lectures, but some have said he is good to work after a bit of practice
    because you need a certain way of thinking. And since I tried drawing after his lectures once, and stopped,
    I wonder if it's not to soon to start again? And just do the basic objects now, still life. I found Stan Prokopenkos
    videos on youtube so I thought giving them a try.

So I ask you guys, what is a good way to get solid basics? Just tell me what to do, and I'll do it. I want to get better!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Its not so much who you study, but how you study. To study something correctly you have to always focus on the outcome not the process or time spent.
    If you lack knowledge in perspective or color or lighting then isolate the problem to the best of your ability and then work on it until you can do it as well as the source material. Over and over until you have complete command and understanding. Then move on to the next aspect. What you will find is the knowledge is cumulative so that each subsequent endeavor is built onto the last and becomes easier because of it. Who you choose for your information isn't that important; if you like Loomis or Vilppu then go with those just stick with it and stay focused on learning things in sequence not in parallel.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.