Armored Guard Sketch
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Armored Guard Sketch

Hello there, excuse my inproper use of the english language

I know that most of the artworks submitted here are far beyond my one in progress but i decided to ask for some critique/suggestions before i go more in detail.
    I started studying human anatomy recently and i can apply perspective on most things but in this case i am still not sure about the proportions and perspective issues

To the idea: i wanted to create a armored guard who is a man of sturdy build but also to appear fast and agile if you understand what i mean. I tried to achieve a firm pose which still is dynamic in a way.

So if anyone here is able to sacrifiy his time for me, i will appreciate everything what will help me advance, so don't hold back

Name:  armorguy2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  508.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi vincecg.
    I think the legs are really short or at least look that way (i'm not sure because of the piece of clothe). Legs should be about the height of torso + head if I'm not mistaken.
    The position of the feet seems good to me, but the relationship between torso and legs seems a bit odd to me. Maybe you should try to place the basic axis of the body (a line between the shoulder, one for the hips - I think they should be parallel in that sort of position- and one from head to hips), I often feel some mistake in the basic construction make a position look odd.

I'm no professional so if anyone think some stuf I said is actually totally wrong don't hesitate to correct me ^^ .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    His center of gravity is off. Given him poofy pants makes his legs look fat. Compared to his arms the thighs look oversized.

It is unclear what his left hand is doing. The neck is too long. It would seem as if you were drawing the armor at the same time as the body. If this is this case, I would suggest drawing the body first and then drawing the armor on top of it.

Joining you in the ABCs of faith: Action, Belief and Confidence
    My web comics
    Just Create - my blog about how to create comic books
    YouTube Tutorials and stuff

Howard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you guys for your input, i tried to correct what you said.
    i will spend some more time on pose but here is my revised version for now:

Name:  armorguyrevise.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  313.2 KB

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude still has a pretty long neck (and his hands are really tiny and his feet aren't in perspective, get a proper ref of a human), and the armor doesn't look... armor-y. Like it pretty much looks like his whole clavicle-chest muscle area is naked since armor generally doesn't have body shapes done in it (unless it's done for the whole chest plate for decoration purposes, for example) and I have a hard time believing that the shoulder armors are connected in any way and they also look like they're going to stab the guy's neck if he lifts an arm.
    Overall I really can't tell apart what's supposed to be armor and what not (like the chest, and the leg armor could just as easily be armor or leather decorations of the shoes) and what the parts of the armor are and what connects where etc etc...
    Like thing how the guy actually takes that thing off and what parts it's made of to get it on him.
    Also where are his upper leg armor?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know it this can help you somehow, but I just did a quick setup to the right so you can see better what I would want to warn you about. First not saying that mine is better but, you should try to check his anatomy, pose and perspective. I agree with what most people are telling you, the neck, arms, feet really look stiff and not proportioned.

Don't be discourage though, just try to practice everyday fast figure drawing sketching and pose, and some perspective grid setup and in some weeks you can improve a lot. An extra advice is that It's best to do a lot of fast sketches and studies before jumping over to defining the character. I know this is not a critique to your design but just wanted to try to advice you so , sorry for the offtopic.

Here's a quick pose example, again not saying is better than yours, but just trying to help you or show you some variation to give ideas.

Cheers and keep working hard!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Study armor the same you would any other subject. A poor understanding of armor leads to poor design, the same way a poor understanding of anatomy will lead to wonky figures.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do a google image search on the work of "Angus McBride" an awful lot of his work for the osprey men at arm series of books were in similar poses to this and his work will make good study material for you.

all the best with the work.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.