Skin Rendering WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Skin Rendering WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skin Rendering WIP

okay, so this is still a work in progress. i posted this to get some feedback on the skin render. any tips on skin rendering/ anything you think i can do better with this? thanksName:  Black Widow.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  178.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use harder brushes, and an understanding of facial anatomy. Any chance of seeing a point of reference?

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, definitely...you need to get the forms worked out better before you worry about texture.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had no reference. I did this on thanksgiving, just to see how well I could blend the skin. ok, so I know the lips/ mouth area needs work. But what else? Also does the head look to big?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No reference...that's your problem.

Until you literally know the head/facial anatomy inside and out (I mean that literally; from the skull to the muscles to the skin), you really don't want to be attempting stuff like this (especially this close up and detailed) without a reference. ;-)

But yes, the face is slightly too small for the head. (Or the head too big for the face.)

I design for a living. I create art for fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't agree more; picture trying to draw a carburetor for an auto magazine's how-to section when you've never really opened your hood to look at one - you might get the general shape right but it will end up so distorted as to be useless. And if for your next attempt, and the next, you try again to draw it from imagination, all you are going to do is keep drawing weird distorted things without ever getting it right. The worst thing is that your hand will get used to drawing weird distorted things and it will be that much harder to re-train yourself to draw accurately. Do yourself a favour and learn to draw from reference accurately :-)

Cheers

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by justa View Post
    I couldn't agree more; picture trying to draw a carburetor for an auto magazine's how-to section when you've never really opened your hood to look at one - you might get the general shape right but it will end up so distorted as to be useless. And if for your next attempt, and the next, you try again to draw it from imagination, all you are going to do is keep drawing weird distorted things without ever getting it right. The worst thing is that your hand will get used to drawing weird distorted things and it will be that much harder to re-train yourself to draw accurately. Do yourself a favour and learn to draw from reference accurately :-)
    Couldn't have put it better.

I think there's a definite trend right now where not using reference is seen as some kind of accomplishment. But it won't get you very far, no further than having a few people exclaim "wow! No reference!?" It just won't improve your skills and it will reinforce bad habits. Once you've done tons of studies you can start attempting things without reference and then you will STILL get people noticing a million things wrong with it

You've obviously put effort into rendering the skin, and it's a good start as a rendering exercise. But the anatomy of the face needs real work. I get the sense you're thinking a lot about the individual features; eyes, mouth, nose; but aren't considering the overall structure of the head (with the skull inside it). The first thing I noticed was the cheeks - the distinction between light and shadow is very abrupt.
    There is a nice peaceful mood to this though - the expression is good and you're only going to get better with study.

I would suggest you draw a lot. From reference photos and from life. Look up Andrew Loomis if you haven't already. He made a brilliant system of constructing and understanding anatomy.
    Don't get caught up in details like texture until the groundwork is laid down right.

I hope I'm making sense!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.