Computer Glasses
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Computer Glasses

Hi guys,

Over the past few months I've been doing a lot less digital art because of the fact that the monitor on my iMac gives me a splitting headache if I stare at it too long and that makes digital art making rather unenjoyable. Rather than buying a new high-end monitor (that won't annihilate my eyeballs by shooting sunbeams at them) I've considered buying a pair of (also expensive but cheaper than the monitor) computer glasses, which supposedly protect your eyes from the fatigue that is caused by staring at a computer monitor. I was wondering if anyone here uses them and if so, do they work? And more importantly, do they alter your perception of colors or values in a way that would negatively impact your artwork?

This is an example of a pair: http://www.amazon.com/GUNNAR-Compute...mputer+glasses or http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Glass...bxgy_hi_text_z

What do you think?

Jake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you just need prescription corrective lenses (or a new prescription if you wear glasses) to relieve the strain of trying to focus on screen images that your unaided eye(s) just can’t sharpen. People are usually unaware of the early onset of deteriorating focusing ability.
    I have a pair of glasses that have lenses adjusted just for computer work (being over 40 I have presbyopia). No eye strain here, even panning across two large monitors.
    I personally wouldn’t get those contrast increasing yellow tinted glasses, especially as an illustrator.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have the opposite problem. My unaided eyes can only focus about 18" -- the exact distance of my monitor. Last time I had my eyes checked, he told me it was from decades of sitting in front of one. That it didn't mean my eyes were deteriorating, just that -- like everything else -- they don't flex so good any more.

Anyway, I guess I can understand how filtering glare might help, assuming you have an old-timey tube monitor with a glass front. But this bit "Not only do Sheer Vision products reduce glare and UV light intake, but our state of the art lenses ALSO reduce headaches that usually are caused by prolonged, unprotected exposure to the persistent onslaught of harmful rays from all computer monitors" sounds pretty snake-oily to me. "Harmful rays"? Like what?

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmful snakelightning rays of doom to be exact.. I agree with whoever said go get your eyes checked for prescription glasses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthonycarey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I own a pair of those glasses, and I'm trying to get into the practice of wearing them while working. The company I got mine from are Gunnar, and I'm not so sure that they work or not. I was advised that if getting into digital work, I should start wearing them to protect my eyes, So I figured I might as well.
    The Fatigue on the eyes may be less, but nothing like what They advertise. you will still need to blink, and eventually your eyes will get tired. When looking at games and the like I do notice a bit of an increase in color contrast, but I'm not sure how this effect may affect ones digital image creation.
    All in all, since I got them on sale for black friday, I'm not sure full how I'll feel about them in the long run. The way I figure it, If it's dealing with my eyes, It's better to be safe than sorry, but do they actually work? That i'm really kind of meh about.
    there may be some increase, but nothing substantial that i've noticed yet.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As for the prescription glasses idea, when using other monitors I feel no fatigue. It's the way the iMac's monitor shoots light out at your eyes that really bothers me. "Normal" monitors (with the mesh-type surface) don't bother me.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wear computer glasses. I have 2 pairs, one for home and one for the office. I use the anti glare ones at the office as I don't want to interfere with colour at home. Never worked on an iMac monitor, son I can't comment on that.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really want a nice IPS monitor. I painted on a 48 inch tv for a minute while my monitor was still in storage lol, had a very odd feeling to it. Like it was very pixelated but felt kinda free to just lay on the bed and paint.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthonycarey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We had a pair of computer glasses some 10-12 years ago back when we had a crt monitor at home. My mom made me wear them, she was very worried about me ruining my eyes. I didn't like wearing them since they were too big for me and back then I was not used to wearing glasses so they felt odd and the feeling of pads on the ridge of my nose made my head ache. Other than that I did not really feel like they improved anything not that I had any issues looking at the monitor without them even though I played Sims all day. They made things a little green looking. I don't know much about Mac monitors but maybe you can turn the brightness down a little?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.