micro-composition?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

micro-composition?

So I came across this term while searching info on photography and composition. Micro-composition. Actually I saw it mentioned multiple times but only mentioned in passing and never explained in depth.
    Apparently it's similar to layering, but I'm not all that familiar with that term either.

Could someone explain to me what exactly is micro-composition and how can one use it to plan better compositions?

Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Search for the term 'thumbnails'. It's getting the composition down small so it works before filling in any detail.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Micro composition is the new black in photography. It is basically the old idea of having an image work on a number of levels visually but hold together as a single idea. If done right you add an extra layer of complexity to a piece. Examples in painting would be impasto, brush calligraphy, surface texture of elements and abstract design. These should be visible when searched for in a piece but become invisible or secondary when the piece is viewed as a whole. If the inclusion of these extra areas of interest detract from the overall tone of the piece then their addition has failed to be effective.

Last edited by dpaint; November 25th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.