Art: Crysis inspired apocalypse environment - need crits
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Crysis inspired apocalypse environment - need crits

I did this to work on my portfolio and put in about 7 solid days.

Looked at it so long I've lost all objectivity.

Was rendered in 3ds max and then painted over.

So I'm trying to get into movie/game concept environment design and so need crits based on that. I usually know if I like a piece or if it's good but I'm not sure with this. Some balanced crits would be very much appreciated (i.e. where it's going right as well as going wrong).

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi can I first just say that this is a great image. Well done!
    I assume you used photoshop? My critique will be geared towards photoshop.
    I like how you considered perspective before you started painting by using the 3d software, as a result everything in the scene has visual weight and looks correct. I also like the lighting and colors you have used. The areas of light and dark are very clear as are the material properties (specular highlight on the water) and it helps make the image very believable. I have a pretty good sense of what is going on in the scene and overall I feel my eye being drawn to the two guys standing by the fire. This is thanks to a couple of visual cues dotted around the scene which point back towards the fire.
    I think you could improve the image by applying some adjustment layers masked with a circular gradient towards your focal area. This means you can really draw the eye to the focal point using chroma contrast without upsetting the local color relationships. I recommend setting up vibrance and brightness/contrast layers then mask them with a black gradient set to reverse mode. I do this quite a lot to punch up my focal areas and it makes a big difference for me.
    You could also try detailing out the middle ground a bit more and perhaps blur out the edges in the background to really sell the sense of depth.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    7 days? I would rather punch me in my face... The image is not so ok because the composition is ambiguous. You have that small detail about two guys in an angle with a firecamp that's taking the attention and then SO MUCH detail all over the background... if that was your subject i would had put it a little bit higher and i would had focused my details on that. But you have again placed the same amount of details all over the place, even in spot that's not supposed to look so detailed at that distance. I don't know where to look man, really. The effort is fantastic, i don't mean that you have done a bad job rendering the thing but you have lost the subject.

If you want to enter in this industry you have to cut down your production time a lot, 1 or 2 pieces for a day of work would be good, so you need to learn where to put your details and how to appeal your clients.

Actually you know, if you want to make some practice in a true production pipeline send me a message, i'm working into a very nice project and you may be very interested if you have to work on your portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses! (for some reason I didn't get notified of them until january!).

I think you're dead right, Hitsu, on two points: detail and time management. Lately I've been working on speed-painting. But I can't get fast until I can master some of the basics.

Here are two newer versions of the above:

The above has a more knocked-back background (and midground).

And obviously I've taken it even further in this one. But maybe too far?

And this is a speed painting I did recently to prove I could be somewhat fast. Few hours in photoshop:

Need to do a LOT more of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses! (for some reason I didn't get notified of them until january!).

I think you're dead right, Hitsu, on two points: detail and time management. Lately I've been working on speed-painting. But I can't get fast until I can master some of the basics.

Here are two newer versions of the above:

The above has a more knocked-back background (and midground).

And obviously I've taken it even further in this one. But maybe too far?

And this is a speed painting I did recently to prove I could be somewhat fast. Few hours in photoshop:

Need to do a LOT more of these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one is really good but a few hours isn't exactly "speed" painting XD maybe under 30 minutes or 1 hour maximum for the most complex stuff, that would help you much more to concentrate on the important stuff. If you have less than 30 minutes you can only focus on composition and values, nothing else.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.