Sketchbook: Sketches with swiftmus
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketches with swiftmus

Hello CA, it's been a very long time since I last posted here, I'd say around about 2007 or so. Back then I was just a kid with delusions, of course my family would tell me my drawings were good and from my young point of view they did look ok, so it always frustrated me that my drawings were not good enough. Anyway, long story short I took art at GCSE and hated it, I stopped drawing altogether after that for a couple years or so.
    Last year I started university at Reading doing chemistry, and found myself yearning for some sketching and so I started drawing again, quite infrequently but still, nowadays I just find a reference photo and draw from it. I have 3 pictures actually on my computer and so I can post them here.
    I apologise for the poor quality of the images, I don't have a scanner and so these were taken using my phone camera.

These drawings were originally uploaded to facebook which is why I have them available to post here, I'll link the references under each image:
    Name:  Drawing_BlackWidow_small.png
Views: 243
Size:  621.4 KB

Black Widow from the Avengers (ref: http://i.imgur.com/zmOKA.jpg)

Name:  Drawing_KarenGillan_small.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  71.0 KB

The lovely Karen Gillan (ref: http://i.imgur.com/bk9gv.jpg)

Name:  Drawing_EmilyB_small.png
Views: 200
Size:  458.2 KB

The lovelier Emily Browning :3 (ref: http://i.imgur.com/F2CMe.jpg)

Drawing is very much just a hobby these days for me, but I would like to continue to improve, even if I do spend the rest of my artistic life just copying from photos. For christmas I'm planning on getting a graphics tablet, currently looking at the Wacom Bamboo available on amazon but if anyone has any recommendations I'd certainly be interested, really looking for something to enable me to take my sketching directly onto the computer, as much as I love my Moleskine sketchbook it'll be more convenient for me.
    Thanks for taking the time to look and I hope no-one remembers me from last time I was on here!

Last edited by Swift (BM); November 25th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's another sketch that I'm pretty happy with, from a while before the 3 I've posted so far:

Name:  Drawing_EmilyB2_Small.png
Views: 99
Size:  747.0 KB

More Emily Browning (ref: http://i.imgur.com/lHryx.jpg)

I think the expression was captured reasonably well in this one.

One of the main issues I've found is effectively drawing the nose/lips, I use a mechanical pencil exclusively but this can sometimes make it difficult to draw in these features, noses in particular as they don't have defined outlines, rather just a gradient of shadow to show where it lifts from the rest of the face. I believe I'm improving as per my newest images but this is definitely something I want to improve on.
    Let me know what you guys think, c&c would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Hello there,
    I got the Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for christmas, haven't done an awful lot with it yet but I'm pretty much used to the feel of it now and looking forward to getting into some digital art, particularly working with colour, something I've not done in a very long time. I bought a book by Gary Tonge which has some useful advice, found it quite helpful so far. Program-wise I've tried Artrage 2.6 which came with the tablet, need a bit more practice with that one, as well as some work in gimp (the book uses photoshop which I don't have, but gimp seems ok for now). This is my first product, painted in gimp, pretty simple techniques and I'm pretty happy with this:

Name:  Galaxy.png
Views: 111
Size:  1.18 MB

Any advices/hints/tips etc would be appreciated
    Also, is it possible to change which image is the thumbnail for my thread or is it just the first image in the original post?

'til next time, thanks for reading,
    swiftmus

Members who have read this thread: 1