Art: "Snacking Intelligence" - Character Concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Snacking Intelligence" - Character Concept

A forest spirit taking her day off snacking on some tasty human intelligence. Intelligence takes the form of tiny beads, stolen and caught with nets by servant spirits. Humans in return want to steal the spirits' powers, so it's Fairtrade.

Developed during a character concept workshop at school, in Photoshop, fall 2012.

Name:  diplomaten_small2.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  415.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the mask in the design and the story, seems very cool.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the flat shading on this one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you could see it was wearing a mask! It's nice to hear that the story seems interesting to you. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! I like working with "graphical" shading. I find it a nice way to get drama into the picture. The only thing is that you got to know what colors to use then because of the prominent patches of color. It helped having a palette for this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool! You should do more of these! I mean this picture alone is a short story, how about creating more stories like this, maybe even as a setting or something. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Thank you. I'd really like to. Will look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could make it an ongoing thing. So here you have the spirit eating the beads. In the next one you could have one in which yo show how the spirit harvests the beads. Maybe one of scared humans at home, trying to prevent the spirit from coming in. Another one with villages seeking to attack the woods because of those spirits, etc etc etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefmanovic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so happy you got my concept right! Yes, I really could develope more pictures around this - you got very nice and accurate suggestions of them. As a project in school we actually developed "cultures" that involved thinking up background stories and other peoples, wants and needs that are really alot similar to your suggestions above: the scared humans hunting spirits and such. I might just try develop it some more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg omg omg! (yes, you got me giggling like a schoolgirl now) You guys have to develop cultures at school? What do you study that you can do this? Sounds very interesting!

I've been trying to work a bit on creating a background setting based on many short stories (max 1000 words) put together. Each of these stories would be a totally unique thing taken from a totally different point of view. But they're all connected. So part 1 is about an offices leading his men to a suicidal battle, the second story is a found audio recording from a soldier who is thinking of deserting (part 2 is a prequel to part 1). Part 3 will be another point of view, etc etc etc.

Lately I've been trying to combine this with some of the cities I've been drawing (check my sketchbook for that), but it seems they have a bigger influence on the stories rather than the stories on the designs..

But ok, back on topic! I'm very curious to see how you'll develop your concept further. If you need a writer by then, let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, why must it be so hard combining text with image? It's something I got to learn. There is so much in the angle, colors, artstyle, textures and overall items in the scene that set a mood and brings the concept to life and there is so much in a written word that can be hard to capture.

My dad's working on a short story (that doesn't stop getting longer!) and he wants me and my sister illustrating it. It won't be too hard but it won't be easy. He's written illustration notes and I don't know how I'll be able to follow them right! Words and pictures don't work the same, still they sometimes have to. The trick is to make the two mediums compliment each other.

Wow! Good luck with your writing. I'd really like to write my own stories someday. I've started writing on so many but they always end up bad. I'll be sure to contact you if I ever need a writer! ^^

Ps. I attend Blekinge Institute of Techology where I study game graphics. It's really fun! (Very hard for me at the same time) I think I'd rather now in second thought study animation, but there's so much to learn in gaming that's cool and worth trying out.

Members who have read this thread: 2