Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Nandos' sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nandos' sketchbook

Hello everyone.

Little something about myself first:

My name is Mika and I come from Finland. I am studying at Digital Arts and Entertainment program in Belgium to become a technical artist. I am currently here as an Erasmus student, following mostly first year classes. But if everything goes well, I'm planning to enroll as a regular international student next academic year. I am interested in 3D modeling and animation, and digital painting. I'm also trying to get better in drawing. I hope that creating this sketchbook will help me to get a little bit more disciplined, but also improve my skills over time. So your comments, feedback, and advice are more than welcome here

The idea to create this sketchbook came from my Pre-production teacher while we were painting fruits in class. So here are my two pieces

They both took approximately 2 hours to paint. I'm not very satisfied with cast shadows, they were the hardest parts to make and I think it shows.

Last edited by Nandos; November 24th, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Mika, welcome to the boards!

In both of the paintings you're missing some shading principles. This is easily checked by adding a black layer on top of all the other layers and turning its blending style on Hue. See the example below;
    Name:  comments.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  19.0 KB
    You will notice that you almost have the same value for each change in plane. I can see that you're thinking of a highlight and reflect light which is good. Now try to get the core shadow and occlusion shadow back in it.

Something about the shadows; those won't be black or grey. Try to blend some color of your fruit in it. The further away it gets from the object, the softer the edge and lighter the shadow will be. The occlusion shadow will be the darkest part of the cast shadow. It's there were the two objects (fruit and table) meet.
    A tip for the final touches. Erase softly some outer edges (with a mask i.e) so the edges gets softer. This way you will get the feeling the form is rolling/turning away.

Good luck and have fun!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback Lyno!

I took those things into consideration and improved the orange a little. It definitely has a more round feeling now. I also made another apple study, this one a bit faster, trying to get values more correct.

The last picture is a couple of quick shading tests. I wanted to experience a little bit before starting to make the real version for a school assignment. I will probably make few more. The design and lineart of the robot was done by one of my Pre-production teachers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some recent studies I made. The old woman and the armor I painted from photographs and the bananas are painted from life. I will try to update this sketchbook more often from here on

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool studies! Too bad that you've been gone for so long . I hope that you will keep updating more now ^^. Looking forward to it!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mrkolsyrad. This is a small update, but I want to keep my word on more regular updating. So, two more photo studies and few underway. But they will have to wait until I'm done with exams

Attached Images Attached Images    

Members who have read this thread: 12