W.I.P - Need blending, texturing, and coloring help
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: W.I.P - Need blending, texturing, and coloring help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

W.I.P - Need blending, texturing, and coloring help

Need help with coloring and blending this.. It looks like everything is smudgy and blurry.
    I dont even know what to do at this point, any tips or suggestions? How do I add texture? Those are jeans and the shoes are leather. Im just really lost at this point, any help will greatly be appreciated.

Heres the reference photo

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please any help is greatly appreciated..

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly you seem to be jumping way ahead of your own skills, nor are you following the ref very closely when it comes to the values.
    You should be practicing construction, form, values and anatomy and other fundamentals (along with having a solid underdrawing), trying to create jean textures is for much later. I mean props for actually having a ref, it's more than what most people do, but practicing with say, apples and other simpler objects would be better: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...inting-In-PS-2

Though, you get less blurry if you work with 100% opacity and with a sharp brush in large enough size. Also having larger contrasts between your values will create sharper edges.

Last edited by TinyBird; November 23rd, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color? Texture?
    What about the head and the hands? Will you still draw these?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Honestly you seem to be jumping way ahead of your own skills, nor are you following the ref very closely when it comes to the values.
    You should be practicing construction, form, values and anatomy and other fundamentals (along with having a solid underdrawing), trying to create jean textures is for much later. I mean props for actually having a ref, it's more than what most people do, but practicing with say, apples and other simpler objects would be better: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...inting-In-PS-2

Though, you get less blurry if you work with 100% opacity and with a sharp brush in large enough size. Also having larger contrasts between your values will create sharper edges.
    Yes, Im studying andrew loomis. I also try to understand color and stuff better. I do little things like this to check progress.. I guess I dont really know. But thanks man, I'll keep studying!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    Color? Texture?
    What about the head and the hands? Will you still draw these?
    not focused on that. This is just for practice, and no im not drawing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks man! I'll keep studying!

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saulstixx View Post
    If this is just for practice, then you really could have chosen a less crappy and grainy photo to draw from. I mean you can't even see any textures in the actual photo. There's a ton of higher quality stock photos of dudes with jeans floating around in the Google.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If this is just for practice, then you really could have chosen a less crappy and grainy photo to draw from. I mean you can't even see any textures in the actual photo. There's a ton of higher quality stock photos of dudes with jeans floating around in the Google.
    Well I thought this wouldve been cool to draw from. Like the pose and stuff, as I was going through I thought to myself "these dont look like jeans at all".. but thanks for the constructive crit. I'll keep studying man!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Brushes with low opacity are always going to give you a blurry, 'dirty' look. Used as a principle drawing tool, I mean -- towards the end of a drawing, a few low-opacity touches can be very useful.

I don't usually draw at 100% opacity, but more like 70-80%. Working with high opacity brushes, make sure you get in the habit of using the ALT key to quickly eyedropper a color from the canvas. You need to change color a lot when you use strong brushes.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saulstixx View Post
    If it's practice, then you should focus on the *method* - the process of making pictures and the technical parts of it. Yet you have jumped to painting before you had even a half of structural drawing done, and started with the foreground leaving the background blank. That's not process, that's random doodling. "I'll just slap out random crap" is not a good idea for practice.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    If it's practice, then you should focus on the *method* - the process of making pictures and the technical parts of it. Yet you have jumped to painting before you had even a half of structural drawing done, and started with the foreground leaving the background blank. That's not process, that's random doodling. "I'll just slap out random crap" is not a good idea for practice.
    I understand that. I dont have a process, and Im trying to find one. But how about some tips to help me improve? I agree with you 100% but thats not what I asked help for. I was not focused on finishing this what so ever, Im new with the tablet and im studying andrew loomis's books as someone requested I should. But ill keep what you said in consideration. Im putting away the tablet, and work solely in my sketchbook to focus on structure and the fundamentals. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The tip to focus on the method, and not to jump into detail or painting before you've got more general task solved wasn't enough of a tip to help you improve?..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.