how to let lose and just draw
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how to let lose and just draw

Recently I've been getting the feeling that what ever I'm drawing is wrong and I can't seem to just let lose and go. It's stopping any type of creativity from coming out, all I seem to be able to do are studies, but those start wearing me down after a while. I can grasp an idea of what I want to do, like right now I want to draw an interpretation of Capaneus (a titan who lies in Dante's 7th ring of hell forever blaspheming against god,laying on the burning plains being rained on by fire)

but I can't get past the rough sketch/idea, I start drawing and I think the anatomy is wrong,then the pose is too bland when I have those, then I haven't paid any attention to composition so he's just lying there in the center, I can't seem to let go and just start doodling him, I can't spontaneously decide to give him horns "just because I can."

I need to stop over thinking things.

I've tried to just let lose and doodle, but I get irritated by how pointless and un-amounting they are

anyone else gotten the same problem sometime, tips for overcoming it?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had that problem for a while. I made a thread about it too not so long ago. Great tips on it

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...red-Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "but I can't get past the rough sketch/idea, I start drawing and I think the anatomy is wrong,then the pose is too bland when I have those, then I haven't paid any attention to composition so he's just lying there in the center, I can't seem to let go and just start doodling him, I can't spontaneously decide to give him horns "just because I can.""

Sure you can. You just aren't allowing yourself to do that. Why not? What is so terrible about drawing out your initial idea and then grabbing a second piece of paper and giving him a more exciting pose, a better composition, some horns and a luxurious mustache while you're at it?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It is not uncommon to draw out multiple ideas.

The other thing is one part I remember very well in Don Seegmiller's books on painting digitally he often mentioned art has to go through an ugly phase. A lot of people see part of this phase, freak out and don't finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to hate redrawing the same idea. The key is to go into it with the mindset that you're going to do a number of studies for your idea first. Some artist force themselves to do 50 thumbnails before moving on to the next stage. Stop thinking that you're gonna try to draw it right the first time, and give yourself permission to develop your ideas. That takes the pressure off and makes the drawings better because you're not overthinking it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When that happends to me i just smoke a doobie bro.. Opens up the mind into a whole other world and lets me actually live inside the canvas.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aerisaxia View Post
    but I can't get past the rough sketch/idea, I start drawing and I think the anatomy is wrong,then the pose is too bland when I have those, then I haven't paid any attention to composition so he's just lying there in the center, I can't seem to let go and just start doodling him, I can't spontaneously decide to give him horns "just because I can."
    Well, honestly there's also the issue that sometimes beginners get way too excited on doing the classic "hundred horsemen fighting against a five headed dragon in the morning mist with Mount Doom spewing lava behind them and all this will be drawn in aerial three point perspective" before they're able to even draw one horse or human in any perspective and then get frustrated because it's just way too above their skill set and they're not getting the super pro quality out that they'd want. Challenge yourself, but also know your limits.
    I'm saying this because I can't find any of your art posts but I did find this:
    Quote Originally Posted by aerisaxia View Post
    I love art and like the never lacking majority of 16 year olds I want to be a concept artist.
    It may be easier to let loose if you choose a less specific and complicated theme than some specific demon with specific enough description that it causes you feel bad when you want to add horns on him. Just draw a demon and let loose all you want, and after you've gotten that out, think again the Capaneus image.

Last edited by TinyBird; November 23rd, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Taha-023 View Post
    When that happends to me i just smoke a doobie bro.. Opens up the mind into a whole other world and lets me actually live inside the canvas.
    I really don't think suggestive drug use to 16 year olds is the way to go here. I don't find it helpful nor practical in terms of improving a skill.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Damien Levs For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pick up James Gurney's "Imaginitive Realism". It is all about the illustration process and how to develop an image. Including how to use reference material and make your own small sets to help you visualize a scene.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 1