10 year old artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow 10 year old artist

my daughter is a very talented girl. she is currently selling her first painting on ebay and is getting bids!!! she is only 10 and is entering grade 6 this fall. she paints abstract, draws animals, animations and scenic pictures. if you would like to view her work visit
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I really like this! It has good balance and colors, confident brush strokes.
    I remember reading a story about an art show that awarded its grand prize to a girl who was 4-5 yrs old. Except the judges thought the painting was by an adult and were pretty embarassed when they found out her real age.

cool!
    emily

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since she's 10, good for her.

Hopefully when she's 20 she'll be learning to REALLY paint.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really paint? this looks like real paint to me.

I'll be honest, I was expecting stick figures or whatever, maybe a 5 dollar bid, but I was wrong and apoligize for that. This is some great work, and I would not mind hanging these works in my apartment. It's good to know that you support your daugther's interest and activities, keep at it and best of luck for her.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kind words. as with anything, art..music...personal looks... or whatever...there is always going to be people who either like it or don't like it. i don't mind the comments as we all have our individual opinions.

sarah hasn't taken any lessons of any kind yet. we are putting her in lessons through simon fraser university this summer. with the money she gets from the sale of her painting, she is buying some canvas and proper paints.

she did this painting at school during "art" which took her about 10 minutes to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it good to start early but i dont see why your selling the painting on ebay. my mom saved all the "art" i did as a child and would never dare to sell what i did. to me its seems like any kid can paint abstract paintings. im not trying to be an ass about this but let a kid be a kid, ya let her paint if she wants to and buy her art supplies when she wants them but why sell it? you should save and charish these things. i dunno i guess i dont like the idea of a child artist selling their art. its not like she made the painting to sell it right?

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually she did make it to sell it. She has been bugging me for over a year to "let" her sell her artwork on ebay or anywhere else for that matter. So finally i gave in. I have kept ALL her artwork in a box and will never let go of it. I don't want to let go of any of her art work, not even this one, but then I'm sure every mom is like that. She paints because she wants to, she truly enjoys it, we don't force her to do anything she doesn't want to do, with exception to cleaning her room and taking her dishes she ate from, to the sink.
    Could you imagine what you are implying we are doing? Like we chain her to the table and say...no Sarah...you can't have lunch until you finish the painting, so mama can make a buck on ebay....pullease. She can use "her" ebay money for whatever she wants...candy...toys...she wants to buy paint supplies because she wants too. I have offered to buy her canvas, and acrylics, oils but she is determined to buy it herself.
    And what is wrong with teaching the value of earning & spending to a preteen (she will be 11 in september). Too many kids are just being handed everything they want and have no respect for anything.

I don't know..you can criticize the art, as you are entitled to you opinion. But when you start knocking me as a parent, that is when I draw the line.

OR Maybe you are just jealous that she has more talent than you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gr8100, look dude, when you can't tell a "10 year old with no art lessons" painting from a 50 year old "accomplished abstract painter"'s painting...well...I think that says something. (I'm not dissing the little girl, I'm dissing abstract art). Who said it wasn't real paint? Maybe you've heard of Rembrandt? I meant hopefully when she is 20 she'll be learning how to paint like Rembrant (or the thousands of other great non-abstract painters). Either you're being an ass, or you are too stupid to understand implied english.

|ntern- you've got a good point. Art can be expensive though, and if this little girl is going to make some art to help pay for herself to make more art...well...there's nothing wrong with youthful entrepreneur...ial...ship.....

i've got nothing bad to say about the little girl or her painting. good for you for encouraging her with art...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire36
    This made me laugh

I'm still laughing while typing this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack42,

My initial post wasn't to belittle your response in any way, just my 2 cents on it. I understand why you stand behind your statements, and i respect that. Abstract art can be a touchy subject, some create it using unorthodox methods, while othes actually have a purpose. Nonetheless, it's a personal belief as to what is acceptable, and what isn't. I'm sorry we don't see eye to eye on it, but I'm sure there is no need for name calling. I'll leave it at that.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah

done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAH! this made me gigle :fruit: :fruit:

well as i said before i was trying to be an ass and im not knocking you as a parent. Infact i think its awesome that you are supporting her, but at 10 i wouldn't think its the best thing to have her start selling her art work. especially on ebay. Maybe sell it to family or close freinds but ebay just doent sould like that smart of a choice.

Actually she did make it to sell it. She has been bugging me for over a year to "let" her sell her artwork on ebay or anywhere else for that matter.
    i also think its fishy that she made thie piece to sell it. i mean think about it, at 10yrs old she wants to sell her art on i dunno, ive always made art cus i like it, not because of the $$, the $$ is just a bonus

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what your morals are or what your opinions on selling art for money is, but I think ebay-ing your daughter's art is sending her the wrong message. She may want to sell her art, but if I was you, I wouldn't let her. In my opinion, she shouldn't sell her art because she is thinking, "Since I make good art, I get money as a reward." Wouldn't it be better if she thought, "Mom and dad say that I'm good, and I think my painting is good, maybe I should learn more because this is fun." At her age, her mind shouldn't be filled with the ideas of greed, she is too young to start worrying about making money from her talent. If money gets involved with her art, it may get a little complicated. Maybe she might start bragging to her friends about how she makes money off of her art, because she feels that she has accomplished more. Or what if her next painting that she sells doesn't get any bids? Think about what will happen to her self-esteem then. Money won't always be there as a encouragement for making good art, but I'm sure that you will be, as a dedicated parent.

By the way, I really don't hope that you've been giving her special attention since she has been making bids on her art. I didn't see you making topics about how good she was before her auction.

And tell her that she has much talent for her age and that the people from ca.org say keep up the good work.
    **Edit**
    Also, there are many ways for her to learn the value of a dollar. How about getting her to walk the dog, mow the yard, wash the car, like every kid in America that has decent parents (I had to do that stuff without pay, it was expected of me because I had a home, food and clothes but I'm just going to leave that subject alone).

Last edited by AnarchyAo2; June 30th, 2004 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww c'mon. lighten up ya'll. it looks like quagmire wanted to share cuz he/she (sorry, couldn't tell from the posts, or maybe just wasn't looking) is proud of his/her daughters art and wanted to share. that's it, end of story. she's 10, any in depth discussion about the consequences of her selling her art on ebay is a little silly imo. let her have her fun. but what do I know right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm only 17 years old, I have no experience with children, but I think its safe to say that every possible problem (especially with children) should be addressed and solved. And from the way this parent sounds, it seems like he(lets just assume its a he) is a good guy and wants to have a real good kid, and that is founded by morals and encouragement and in our day and age, money doesn't provide either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I posted the initial thread as I was very excited for my daughter and extremely proud of her talent. I'm sure most artists would be just thrilled to sell a piece of their work, isn't that most artists dream? My daughter's dream is to grow up and be an artist..not a doctor..not a lawyer...but an artist. Is ebay the best avenue for her to put her art? Um, no I agree that it isn't. I agreed to put it on as a learning lesson to her that money isn't everything as I ASSUMED nobody would bid on a 10 year old's school art on poster paper. Little did I know that it would take off with bids and go as high as it is now. I can appreciate everyone's opinion and it is interesting to read them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sarah just came home from her last day of grade 5 and said they had a discusison in class about the art sale. she said instead of buying art supplies for herself, she wants to give supplies to the kids in the cancer unit at our children's hospital so they are not bored while they have to stay there. I think she has the right idea.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i think its great that your daughter is making some money from doing something she loves and using the money to persue it further!

im almost twice her age and i pretty much have to pay people to take my work

also good for you for supporting your daughter and encouraging her to do well, my parents never did that.. it was all "get a job!" "cut your hair!" "damn hippy painter, get a real career!" lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that is my parents mentality too...they think we should discourage the paint and mold her to be something they want...anything other that art

we let her know, she can be whatever she wants to be as long as it is legal and she is happy doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She's already made more money in art than I have. Congrats, heh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great Idea

I wish my parents did that for me! It would have given me alot of motivation. Not that history math and english teachers are not enough motivation to draw in class. But heck I should get off my butt and do that myself. Would be great to follow her progress.
    I am impressed with her work. and your recognition of it as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!! Youre daughter is good!! Really good! For a 10 year old!! When I was 10,I was drawing Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon characters, who look very deformed in a non artistic way or a way I didnt want it to turn out. I mean wow...abstract art like that...man. Thats really good. Even though she does want you to sell it, you still have pictures right? Cause thats another way of preserving it, you may not have the originals but you have some type of picture or reminder of it.
    I cant bring myself to sell my originals. As much as I seem to hate my old drawings, I keep em anyway. I already lost most of what I drew when I was younger. Alot of mom's are like that, hehe preserving the works. My mom told me to keep my old stuff too, cause one day i'll probably want to look back.
    Preteens do dishout money pretty fast. -.- Still need to stop that. Haha.

Last edited by Dished; June 30th, 2004 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha, ha, everyone has parenting advice to give

I think it's fine to sell her work as long as it's self-motivated.
    It's a great way to learn about how money works in the real world.

When I was in 6th grade, someone offered to buy one of my paintings for $100. I turned that person down because at the time I couldn't bear to part with my work. It gave me a little boost of self confidence to think that somebody wanted my work, and my self-esteem wasn't damaged when I didn't get a similar offer until many years later . . .

So, good for her. Hope she's having fun.
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember attempting abstract back in the day (around your daughters age), I never found it that exciting.

I actually drew monsters, demons and horrific scenes when I was that age, I pelted them out every day, it was so much fun (trust me, I was a morbid child but I had good intentions ).

If it makes her happy, that's all that counts I guess.

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.
    -- Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work from your daughter, quagmire. She seems very talented in art and colors. Nothing wrong with selling her artwork at her age. I did that around that age too (but much cheaper though, lol) and I've yet to become obsessed with money or commit any crimes. Hope you'll continue encouraging her in art.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think that sounds pretty arrogant.

I don't know..you can criticize the art, as you are entitled to you opinion. But when you start knocking me as a parent, that is when I draw the line.
    I don't see how |NTeRN was "knocking" on you as a parent, he just simply stated his opinion; he didn't call you names or anything. I agree with him, but am I knocking on you? No.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what all the fuss is about...
    To me, they seem pretty normal for a 10 year old, but if you can sell them to make some children happy then thats good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevay
    I actually drew monsters, demons and horrific scenes when I was that age, I pelted them out every day, it was so much fun (trust me, I was a morbid child but I had good intentions ).
    Hahaha me too. The earliest drawings I remember were me drawing vampires.lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    Since she's 10, good for her.

Hopefully when she's 20 she'll be learning to REALLY paint.
    Hahahhahahahahahahahahah.

I'm sorry..That was very funny.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honoust, who ever thought stuff like that was art needs shot, no offence to you are your daughter, it really gets me angry when people go for abstract art which is basically stuff i used to do when i started drawing, draw everything in the wrong perspective e.t.c if i give my daughter some watercolours she could do that exact thing, neither does it make her artistic or spastic, shes a kid. you actually think picassos's soul is in her or something ? she wont have a clue about art or what she is doing, its just idiots like you who think shit like this is art.

once again no beef, it just angers me with this stupidity, hmm lets take a picture of a bin, lets call it street art, 9999999 dollars... there is no need for it.

she isnt talented she is drawing crap that idiots like you have decided to call art.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.