10 year old artist - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do we know that it's not your art and you're exploiting your daughter in the title to make cash on the side? Haha just kidding. I don't remember wanting to sell my stuff when I was 10, and I still don't. But that's pretty cool that she's making money and she's putting it to a good cause. Good for her.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by davidp
    To be honoust, who ever thought stuff like that was art needs shot, no offence to you are your daughter, it really gets me angry when people go for abstract art which is basically stuff i used to do when i started drawing, draw everything in the wrong perspective e.t.c if i give my daughter some watercolours she could do that exact thing, neither does it make her artistic or spastic, shes a kid. you actually think picassos's soul is in her or something ? she wont have a clue about art or what she is doing, its just idiots like you who think shit like this is art.

once again no beef, it just angers me with this stupidity, hmm lets take a picture of a bin, lets call it street art, 9999999 dollars... there is no need for it.

she isnt talented she is drawing crap that idiots like you have decided to call art.

someone buy the guy a drink ^-^ :beer:

sorry, but its all true. i hate this type of "art" 'cos it seems to me like you just chuck together some junky thing, think of some deep emotional explination for it and get a load of cash. and then theres people on here, the real artists, who spend hours and hours working so hard, barely able to get pennies. wtf man

anyway, i'm sure your daughter is very smart and clever etc. but be carefull, if you keep telling her she's talented and special or whatever, she could become big headed or something. not trying to tell you how to be a father or anything, just speaking my mind ^-^

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Picasso has amazing work aside from his abstract work. And his abstract work has deep meaning that can be disected over and over. They all have a purpose and a meaning. No offense but from what I see here is random colors and objects slapped onto a piece of paper. I'm not asking your girl to be a Picasso at age 10, and I find it wonderful that she likes art. I'm only questioning the people who are buying her stuff[edit- main bidder is "flyingonmybroomtostarbucks", this guy's gotta be crazy...], and you for selling it. I don't think age 10 is a wonderful time to introduce your daughter to the selling of art, it's not as easy when you're older. Rather, she should just be enjoying creating her artwork right now. I also don't think its' right to make money from something like this when there are plenty of real artists struggling every day who don't have 2 pennies to rub together.

[edit- Maybe I'm pissed off because this is the kinda stuff that wins national awards at my school while the people who have worked their asses off drawing from observation and tackling their weaknesses get nothing.]

Last edited by dakoscwash; July 2nd, 2004 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honoust, who ever thought stuff like that was art needs shot, no offence to you are your daughter, it really gets me angry when people go for abstract art which is basically stuff i used to do when i started drawing, draw everything in the wrong perspective e.t.c if i give my daughter some watercolours she could do that exact thing, neither does it make her artistic or spastic, shes a kid. you actually think picassos's soul is in her or something ? she wont have a clue about art or what she is doing, its just idiots like you who think shit like this is art.

once again no beef, it just angers me with this stupidity, hmm lets take a picture of a bin, lets call it street art, 9999999 dollars... there is no need for it.

she isnt talented she is drawing crap that idiots like you have decided to call art.
    Well put my man., I just didn't say that because I'm not sure if that would get me in trouble for not always giving positive comments.
    I think abstract stuff is crap too. My art teacher is ilke that and it drives me insane. I'll draw a perfect head and she doesn't appreciate it, then I draw some lopsided line and she thinks it's beautiful. I went to her house to pick up some supplies one time and she had a 6'x6' poster of JUST grey paint on her wall. She said it was her favorite painting of all time... I just dont find that stuff appealing at all. ANd sure it may express "feeling" to the artist, but to many others it's nothing more than paint, except the true abstractionists who i guess can appreciate it. So it's good for them.

I bet if your daughter simply took paint and applied it with a ball of shaved pubes taped to a stick you would also say it's beautiful and she's so skilled. But that's of course your own daughters work and parents arel ike that. However, I dont see how you can say "maybe youre mad because you aren't as talented..." that makes no sense to me. Firstly that didn't involve any skill at all... Set up some apples and fruit on a folded cloth and have her paint that, then come back and say it. It's good and all that you are supporting your daughter, but comign online and telling people they are probably mad because they dont have as much skill as her (when obviously they have more)... and also saying that painting involved much skill, i think that's bull.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These criticisms aren't exactly constructive guys.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh...this girl is 10 years old, guys.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So what if she is 10? If that was an anatomically correct painting of a person, with acceptably aesthetic features, then I would be impressed, and might consider that high bid to be sane. But as it stands, its just lines on paper, which isn't hard to do, and shows no skill. Hell, I was doing equal work when I was 6, but that doesn't mean I had any worthwhile skills. Couldn't draw anatomy, couldn't paint anywhere near realistically, knew nothing about perspective, etc etc. (on the plus side, I was way ahead of the other kids cause I didn't use stick figures :clapping2 ) I had one of my abstract things from "art" class in a school show, but that doesn't mean anything aside from the fact that I was being humored. Post some of your daughters non abstract works and then we will see whether she has real art talent. Abstract of this low quality cannot show a person's skill. Perhaps if there was more time invested like in Picasso's work, but as it stands, I am not impressed.

As for the sale, I don't think it would hurt if you handle it correctly. Just don't let her get a big ego and become one of those art snobs who think its not worth anything unless its smeared in dung (or something sufficiently modern-artish).

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IT is hurting people when he beleives she is more talented than the REAL artists on here, who spend years developing there skills, to do what?, find out it was all a waste of time because IDIOTS beleive drawing crap is art.

Look on the bright side, atleast he's got drink mony for the weekend :funny:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! There really are some tight asses here on CA!
    Burn the 10 year old, she's making more money than you!

Shit ... this thread makes me sick.

quagmire36 - I think what you're doing for your daughter is admirable. If only all parents could be as supportive of thier children's dreams and interests. Maybe ... just maybe you'd have more positive and inspiring people in the world.

Maybe less of the people who'd berate a child for having an interest and wanting to share her talents with others who appreciate it. And I'm sure she's going to have all kinds of problems later in life because she learned at age 10 the basic principles of marketing (sarchasm).

Whatever ... bunch of :baby s here if you ask me.

[edit]Oh ... forgot to mention. I like the painting. It has good colors and a nice whimsical feeling to it. Makes you happy just looking at it. True, it's not master work, nor pro level abstract ... but who cares. It's a very nice creative piece for age 10. I'd be pretty proud of my daughter too if she did something like this. Keep telling her she's talented and anything is possible if she believes in it strongly enough.[/edit]

Last edited by Kirt; July 3rd, 2004 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe I share similar opinions with Kirt and Troy. The little girl loves what shes doing. Pull your heads out of your asses.

Ho hum!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree and disagree to some things said and I for the record I am Mom, I'm not sure how it got to be that I was Dad, maybe just an assumption. You are all entitled to your opinions and I find some of the responses quite entertaining. I am not going to expect that everyone will agree, to each his own.

I too, completely agree and think the bidders are completely crazy & insane! I myself would not bid on a painting on poster board and as said before this was "supposed" to be a learning experience on why she shouldn't sell her art, but guess what...it backfired, and now a whole bunch of sick kids are going to benefit because of it. (the assumption davidp made that I will "drink" away the money is hysterical).

In the next day or two, I will upload some of her other drawings where she actually was drawing sketches and not just painting abstract lines and colors. I am sorry that some adults may be offended/upset that a 10 year old is selling a painting, but unfortunately that is life, suck it up and deal with it. And, yes, my opinion is definitely rose colored as it should be, I'm her mother.

IT is hurting people when he beleives she is more talented than the REAL artists on here, who spend years developing there skills, to do what?, find out it was all a waste of time because IDIOTS beleive drawing crap is art.
    Just for argumentative sake davidp, what is your definition of a "Real" artist? As for years of drawing to develop her skills, she has been drawing since she was able to hold a crayon so that is about 10 years, and is getting better and learning more skills and techniques everyday. And just because others have different opions than you, does not make them idiots otherwise you would be an idiot yourself based on that logic alone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, let's see now, I have been following this topic since the beginning. I strongly believe that this thread is NOT about what real art is or the fact that the painter is a 10 year old.

quagmire36, your first post started this thread, you have 7 posts in all on this forum so far ...

Guys and gals in CA, I think quagmire36 just found this art forum, decided to register and give this art sale on e-bay a little push because I simply can't see another reason for posting this topic.

Hope you're able to sell this art quagmire36, there's only like 1h and 32 mins left. (I personally won't be surprised if quagmire36 dissappears from this forum after that time frame or she may stay just to sell more stuff I don't know).

In case anybody is wondering where I'm coming from, I performed a little google search with the name quagmire36, it returned this:

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAP...rid=quagmire36

From the "About Me" section reads:

"My name is Nicole and I am hooked on Ebay..."

"...I started selling odds and ends around the house instead of having a garage sale and found there is money to be made on Ebay! Now I am selling so that I can spend less time working outside of our home and more time with my family..."

"...This Ebay account was my husband's and I have sort of taken over it now that I am hooked."

http://dart.fine-art.com/aqd-asp-im_87229-buy-m.htm

I also found that she has posted on this other website, d'ART Fine Art Community to push her daughter's art, might I add that there are NO replies on this site.

People, simply put this was all about the money. Let's put an end to this NOW!

Sincerely,

LL

[Edit: Maybe all this drama and bs can be avoided all together with a "sell you art, stuff, crap" section.]

Last edited by mogando25; July 3rd, 2004 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree :o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, I don't even know if the people who are saying negative comments simply because of your daughters art alone, it might be because of waht you said afterwards. For me, if I would have read your first post alone, aside from the thought of just advertising (magando's theory) your work, I would have been happy for the girl and thought it was cool you do that. However each post you made I felt like that less and less, especially after you said "maybe youre just mad because she has more talent than you." That just reminds me of somethign a soccer mom would say. After that I could care less about your daughters art. I could be wrong, but i doubt a lot of people still would have said such negative things had you only posted once or not posted bragging or sounding arrogant. Actually I just looked now at your first post and the fact that you emphasize so much that she's getting bids seems pathetic too, imo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    money is the root of all evil

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Picasso was a prodigy who could draw and paint realistically, better than his father(a reknowned artist) causing his father to eventually symbollically give him his paintbrush and give up painting altogether. His abstracts have very strong meaning and come from years of practise.

I will not give my actual opinion because I think quagmire is either trolling the boards or is clueless as to why this would upset people. The second reason is that I think the repliers have kept this thread alive way too long as far as what it should have been. These boards don't show very many other 10 year old "abstract paintings", as a result this thread shouldn't even exist/no one should have let it escalate to this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im setting up an ebay account today and im gonna pretend to be posting a 6 year olds painting. Seems like an easy way to make quick bucks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have nothing against your daughter like is said, she draws. good for her.

but the problem i clearly stated was why people think paint randomly plotted on a canvass in different shapes and lines is called art, same goes for most of the abstract i have saw. to be abstract, lines on paper or pictures of garbage bins arent art there just a poor excuse for people either wanting to think there different starting new shitty art trends.

by the TALENTED people on here, i ment the people on here who put time and effort into anatomy e.t.c to be fucked over by some idiot who has a drawing of a bin with a plastic duck ontop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSpruceMoose
    Picasso was a prodigy who could draw and paint realistically, better than his father(a reknowned artist) causing his father to eventually symbollically give him his paintbrush and give up painting altogether. His abstracts have very strong meaning and come from years of practise.
    Edit: Er. I believed that fake thing a little to quickly. The "disparity" between the drawings from year to the next year is actually because those are bargue drawings. MindCandyMan is a good example of the things you can do that quickly.

-toasty

Last edited by wassermelone; July 4th, 2004 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really? Haha, they still are teaching that in school. Well, I hope the point I stated is still somewhat valid. The point is Picasso worked VERY hard at his art, he did not do quick and random paintings without study, but looked at what he liked in his different phases of art and slowly developed them into an interesting form of art. Of course I always liked Braque's work better. Picasso did a lot of things, even branching into sculpture and for that I respect his work, but Braque was able to truly take cubism to its purist state.

I honestly did not know Picasso's "prodigy" was a myth, and apologize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    toaster you are awesome. Have you even seen any of picassos non abstract stuff. He drew and painted better than most people on here.

If spooge demon did that im sure everyone would be drooling all over it.

Last edited by winjer; July 4th, 2004 at 11:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If mom can instill a fire for art in her daughter...kudos, hopefully the young
    girl will grow up to really understand what she wants to say with her artwork. I do think mom sounds like a religious zealot when talking about her child, and I don't mean to "question your parenting", but there are some really fucked up people in this world that do fucked up things...even to their kids. I think it's OK to question, as long we are not holding torches and pitchforks when we do so. :rambo: One last comment...I think that if this wasn't prefaced with a "look at what my 10 year old did", the comments would prolly be worse, what ten year old can paint in any other way than abstract? If you want to post kiddie art, that's fine, but who cares if someone wants to buy it, someone will buy anything, especially if it says it was done by a ten year old girl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frazetta could paint realistically by age 8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, they sell art by cats and dogs and monkeys, people pay for them, not because they are good, because of the novelty of having something on your wall by a cat/dog/monkey, or in this case, 10 year old girl. It's nothing to get upset about, but I think this is what people mean by 'real' artists.

Also, I think if the only reason you joined CA.org is to push your daughter's art and support your ebay addiction, get the hell off our forum.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has really brought the crazy people out of the woodwork.

How in the hell do you find so many damn conspiracy theories in a 10 year old girls art, and thier parent posting about it?

Wait...I'm catching on....are you all 12 years old?

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like alot of abstract art :emb:

Also, I hear that Quagmire36 is pushing her daughters artistic abilities so that she is more attractive for sale in an online auction. The profits from this will be used to feed her insatiable appetite for the flesh of baby seals. Seriously.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, its a 10 year old kid. Do you expect her dad to tell her "Its pure shit! You call that REAL art?!". No, she would never draw again if he did.

I'm not a fan of abstract art, but maybe I'm missing out on something. I'm not going to sit here and bitch about it not being real art, when I don't even know what it is and how its made. Hell, if you ask me to put expressive lines on paper, I wouldn't know what to do. Much less with color. I know that we're very literal people. We try to perfect the art of exactness and making our art believeable. So the last thing we'd know about is abstract art.

David, you really remind me of one of those guys from the KKK. You're preaching, "Our art(race) is the best! The abstract art is (blacks are) shit! Its (They're) not real art (people)!". You go ignorance crusader!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahah, the kkk!

this art is just too controversial for my eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Idiots wannabe art critics

I don't know or care if a ten year old painted these. They are not bad imhop. All you guys who think art revolves around realism are just plain ignorant. Whether it's abstract, realistic, contemporary..or just graphic design,...it's all art.

Stop bashing this guy's (or his daughter's) work, becuase you guys are sounding like a bunch of pretentious assholes.

Alot of you seem to have a problem w/ artist making lots of money for just "whipping out" some art. What is wrong with that? Especially if it comes out great? That's what proffesionals do you morons!

All your anger is comming out of jealously. Grow up and get you heads out of the ground. You or your art will never amount to anything with these screwed up attitudes.

Last edited by otis; July 4th, 2004 at 03:53 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread is a whole lot of bla bla and full of blabbing...

move on ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.