Portfolio Level
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio Level

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Level

Hey,
    I was wondering; how good does a portfolio have to be to get into an art school?
    I'm not really skilled at all right now, but I was wondering for the future.
    I mean, do you have to be at a professional level? That seems like it would defeat the purpose of going to art school.
    What is the average skill level of people applying to art schools?

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering; how good does a portfolio have to be to get into an art school?
    Not very. (But, if you want to get scholarships, very. The tuition of the many funds the scholarships of the few. Which do you want to be?)

I mean, do you have to be at a professional level?
    Absolutely not.

That seems like it would defeat the purpose of going to art school.
    Exactly.

What is the average skill level of people applying to art schools?
    Average.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try, but don't get too caught up in creating the portfolio. you need to at least apply, and try. As the adage goes, "the only way to guarantee a loss, is never to play at all".

of course the better you are, the better for you. most schools show you the best portfolios as examples of what they want. I've heard that some schools use work that their current students are doing, and you sometimes aren't even seeing the entrance portfolios (if that's true, that sounds a bit unethical though). anyway, often a school shows the best work as exapmles, so that they look better over all.
    "you're only as strong as your weakest link" applies to the colleges as well as your own personal portfolio.

but basically read Elwell's answer. everything you need to know is right there.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Not very. (But, if you want to get scholarships, very. The tuition of the many funds the scholarships of the few. Which do you want to be?)

Absolutely not.

Exactly.

Average.
    I actually found out that GPA and low EFC will give you much more in the way of scholarships than portfolio. You need all three really for anything 75% tuition and above. Source: I've talked to admissions directors in a couple of big-name art schools. A good portfolio alone won't net you that much.

I was judged to have a 'superior quality portfolio' (oh my god that's so far from the truth but I'll take it) at two top schools and was given about 1/8 tuition off at both. A friend of mine, who was judged to have an average portfolio, received about 6/8 tuition (around 25k a year) simply from GPA and high need from both. Seems fairly consistent in the way they hand out scholarships and trust me -- your portfolio only gets you so much.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:00 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.
    Interesting, they probably see GPA as representative of responsibility.

Members who have read this thread: 1