Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Anti-drug-college-students

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Theres so much anger in what you and Kev write. Why is that?
    Because you're reading anger from 8-bit text? Did I curse? My tone is serious and sometimes a little curt, but not overtly belligerent.

You spit your words out, you posts are full of viciousness, rhetorical questions, it always sounds so shrill. Far too many explamation points, and instances of the exact misfiring sarcasm you say you dislike (for example at the end of your post Sketch.)
    Rhetorical questions are valid devices used in public discourse. They're not a sign of emotional instability. I didn't say I dislike sarcasm. I said the sarcasm was poorly-thought out.

OK, you dont like heroin and methamphetamine. Neither do I. Their ability to do harm is self evident. Im not advocating their use in any circumstances. Grouping those chemicals with things like mushrooms under the umbrella of DRUGS is absurd, soething we;ve already looked at in some depth.
    You don't have enough data on shrooms to properly judge whether or not they should not be grouped with those other drugs. 'Shrooms aren't that accessible or widely used. Alcohol is. Put people behind the wheel while on shrooms for decades and let me know how what happens. Put them in every grocery store, gas station, and liquor store. I'm pretty confident that no matter what you do, the drugs that hardly anyone does will be at the bottom of the list and the ones that everyone does will be at the top. And no, that's not me saying that every position on that chart is as tightly correlated to popularity.

You dont like hallucinogens. Again, OK, dont take em. Personally I think youre missing out, but its your choice. On the other hand, maybe your preconceptions and stories arent enough. in which case, why not try some and find out.
    Look, this isn't the first time we've had this conversation. It pops up regularly. This isn't the first time either of us have posted. If I "don't like" drugs then go read my posts in the previous threads. My tone is the way it is because of the selective language that you people are using. "You don't like heroin..." "You don't like hallucinogens." In case you don't realize it, you're reducing my arguments to personal bias. That I'm arguing against you because of a petty personal preference as opposed to a real argument of value and fact. Maybe it's an unconscious assumption.

LSD increases dopamine production and uptake in the brain. Brain activity under the influence of LSD closely resembles Schizophrenia. Forgive me if I don't take something that produces a schizoid event. Forgive me if I trust science over some guy on the internet who did LSD once so he truly knows what it's like. Being under the influence of drugs is being as biased as possible. How can you make an informed decisions about anything in such a condition? This mysticism surrounding drug use is problematic. So no, it's not that I don't like it. It's the chemical and biological consequences of ingesting it.

Im fascinated why in a subset of people, things like LSD cause them to flip out so fervently. As the guy Ferrera hates so much, Terrence McKenna once said
    I hate Terrence as much as one person can hate someone without meeting them. Leary too. They're pseudoscientists who created a religion around drug use. They're the homeopathic doctors of drugs. They're the creationists of pharmapsychology. They're the flat-earthers of enlightenment. They're the UFO experts of knowledge. They're the time-cube proponents of ontology.

Have some Hunter S Thompson:
    That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited by s.ketch; December 2nd, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Members who have read this thread: 2