Sky Fall Fan Poster
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sky Fall Fan Poster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sky Fall Fan Poster

First off this is a TIGHT sketch, so have your guns locked and loaded, spare nothing. i need all the crits I can get.

My goal with this project was to utilize line art to create a sense of "depth" (for the first time). I concentrated on lines in such a manner because I have seen such horrible art that utilizes "line art" (anime, fan art etc.). I kept hard thick lines closer to the viewer. Any info on LINES or books that use LINES, I would most certainly LOVE.

Second if you have ever seen the Great Gatsby book cover (http://www.sc.edu/fitzgerald/essays/eyes/cugat_10.jpeg) my finished product with resemble it vaguely enough that it would remind you of it.

Third, and final issue that I wish to address is my love and ignorance for composition. I have a rough idea on how composition works (loomis), so I have before 4 rough ideas cropped in photoshop using the thirds grid.

If you have seen Skyfall then this poster will make sense. I cant remember if she was blind folded or not. And I want to have a tag line quoting something that the bad guy said along the lines of "Here come your lovers" and "Where has your youth gone Mr. Bond?".

The tags would be so menacing that i could have them ABOVE the image, like some horror movies do. But I want everyone to let me know what they think. (We can just call them 1 2 3 and 4)

Name:  Skyfall Crop 2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  427.9 KBName:  Skyfall Crop 2.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  427.9 KBName:  Skyfall Crop 1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  232.9 KBName:  Skyfall Crop 3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  261.3 KBName:  Skfall Crop 4.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  271.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd strongly recommend doing some sketches from reference of her and get the likeness closer (character name Sévérine, actress name Bérénice Lim Marlohe).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kolbenito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd strongly recommend that you draw the head first, alone, without the hair. Then draw the hair on top, probably as solid 'ribbons' of graphite, like with the side of the pencil. Then trace the result onto a good quality tracing paper to get your linework. After that, there are many ways to transfer the final linework to a piece of illustration board or Bristol board.

You'd be amazed at the multiple stages and complex techniques that some pros come up with to get the job done, especially in traditional media.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea good idea. no matter how many times I draw faces I still have tons of trouble getting them down solid. I have 1 primary reference photo, and i morphed the eyes and the lips to match the emotion, her face is pretty washed in the reference, no shadows. so yea, this was my best shot.

this was my reference photo.
    http://rsanews.com/news/wp-content/u...ce-Marlohe.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check for distortion once in a while - by flipping your paper over and holding it against the light. Her face is seriously skewed.

If you're after non-anime lineart, I have a few recommendations for you:

Arthur Rackham
    Alfons Mucha
    Enrico Marini
    Not into comics at all? Try Beardsley.

To pull off a lineart style, just as with a more form-defined one, you need a very strong sense of composition and line weight. In your hair especially, it's not working at all. Look at what Mucha does with hair, and see how more elegantly it looks when he handles the strands.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.