Still Life Painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still Life Painting

I've been picking away at this for a little while now. My main issue is that the router seems to look muddy no matter how I paint it. It's supposed to be a hard plastic but it looks like a completely different texture. I'm also worried about how well the transparency of the keychain edge reads. Any obvious problems that you guys can spot?
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  46.1 KB

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that strikes me is...aiiiiii, you've run off the page! Now, that's a tragedy on paper, but this is digital, so let's just tack some more electrons on the bottom.

The second thing is the composition. I'll fill in what I take to be the main objects. Which actually can be a good place to start with a still life -- it lets you view the composition in the rough, and it gives all the objects a common background color. That'll peek through a little and make them all look like they belong together.

Name:  thumbz.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  22.4 KB

That's not really cohering all that well as a composition. Maybe eight objects is too much to deal with at once. Perhaps two or three? Or sometimes, it helps your visualization to draw a rectangular frame inside the image and place your composition relative to that.

What you're hoping to get is that silhouette shape doing something interesting. If you draw one object, you can plop it in the middle, concentrate on rendering that object and not worry about anything else. The moment you have more than one, you have to think about how those objects relate to each other and the page.

Oh, for your specific questions -- a router is an essentially boring object. It's hard to draw boring objects! Some people can do a cracking job of rendering anything; I'm not one of those people. I have to draw things I find intrinsically interesting to look at.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptime View Post
    My main issue is that the router seems to look muddy no matter how I paint it.
    It looks muddy because you are trying to paint it alone. Colors make no sense in isolation; you can make red or blue look white if the colors around it are chosen just so. To make an object look right, you need to start with its environment - but you are trying to paint it into an off-white flat backdrop. Of course it's going to look wrong.

Start with the background, not the foreground. And work on all parts of the picture together. It's not useful to paint the keys in high detail but ignore the rest; you are guaranteed to have to repaint them later when they fail to match the rest of the picture.

It is best to work from the broadest block-in to increasingly small detail, all over the picture - not focus on a tiny bit to the end and neglect everything else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Stout, it never even once occurred to me to think about the composition of the piece. I just thought "I'm going to paint the corner of my desk!" and went straight to it, so thanks for pointing that out. I'll be sure to keep it in mind for future pieces.

@arenhaus, oh boy, I did this last time too didn't I? I really need to get it into my head that the background's important. The off-white is more or less what my desk looks like under this light, so I thought I'd leave it like that and paint in shadows/reflections as I completed objects (like I did for the keys). Guess I still need to learn the proper process for this sort of thing.

As for the keys, I stupidly decided to start this in between classes. I needed to finish painting my keys first so I could leave my room when it was time for class Although in all honesty I probably would have done the same thing anyways (painting one thing to finish instead of painting the whole thing as I go). Thanks for the help again!

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd second what Stoat and Arenhaus said. Your still life feels really cluttered, and that may be mostly due to how some things are falling off the canvas. However, I would suggest actually removing a few objects as well as making the space around them bigger.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    While you might think that colour is close to your desk colour, I bet your desk is a lot darker.

Soft diffuse high lighting is what makes plastic look plastic in the main, which is why a lot of beginners make clothes look plastic.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to start over from scratch with a less cluttered piece. I had a really hard time pinning down exactly what colours are on my desk. Still a WIP.
    Name:  still life painting nov 23.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  58.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah, I'm horrible when it comes to working on one project without getting sidetracked. Here's an update on the painting.
    Name:  still life painting nov 23.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  59.3 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.