Acceptable color scheme?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question Acceptable color scheme?

This piece has an enormous amount of mistakes, but no matter. I've spent too much time on it to let it go completely to waste. So, last night I devised a color scheme. Is it acceptable, or does it need tweaking? I'm not so sure about the center figure, but the schemes of the other two are nice, in my mind.

Placement of figures is HORRIBLE. But oh, well. I was just working with character design, so whatever.

Also, if anyone would like to critique the lineart, I'd be happy to 'listen'.

I'd like to get the colors down before I actually start coloring the piece with markers. Because once I start, there's no turning back.

Thanks so much for your time, it's really appreciated.

Last edited by mahriai; July 20th, 2004 at 12:49 AM.
    I'm not a shut-in, honest. I just don't have a car.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looks fine, those are just your base colours yes? Meaning, do you plan to shade it and such. The figures look tilted but the colours look nice to me.

Thanks
    Hey - neat designs - I like the consistency of design and linework.
    Color-wise, I would humbly suggest:
    Character #1:
    Adjust the green to a warmer shade. Without changing the value or saturation, add some yellow to it to get a more olive-green. It will match the earthry tones in the rest of the character a little more.

Character #2:
    If this character is intended to be primarily dark, then I suggest the following: Make the hair and shawl white-ish blue. Desaturate the blue underdress. Desaturate the corset so it matches the rest of the character and/or, find another color for it - its not right as it is - go for another shade of purple, but the maroon doesn't jive. Make her gear silver instead of gold...

Character #3:
    Add some blue to your gray so it works better with the cool colors in this character. Lighten or darken the hair significantly - you don't have enough value variation going on in this one.

When you star coloring, try flood-filling the whole character with one dominant color, then going in and adding the other colors bit by bit - you'll get more consistency that way!
    Hope this helps!
    Spartan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMech
    Looks fine, those are just your base colours yes? Meaning, do you plan to shade it and such. The figures look tilted but the colours look nice to me.
    Yeah, it was just to get the colors defined. once I do that, I'll be buying markers to color it. But thanks for your opinion!

Thanks
    Spartan - Thanks for all your comments/critiques, they help a lot. I'll be going back to it soon and playing around with what you suggested.

Though, what exactly do you mean by 'flood filling'? I'm not familiar with the term/technique. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Flood filling? Just dumping one color over the whoel character - in Photoshop or some other digital medium...

Thanks
    Ah. I see. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Thanks
    for the lines try and vary the line weight. you seem to have used the same line thickness throughout pretty much. try to make lines bolder on the shadow side of things. it will make them seem more three dimensional.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.