Sketchbook: Best get at it
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Best get at it

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best get at it

Iím starting a sketchbook again. This time I have a goal. I want to do a minimum of one painting a day. I feel like my progress as an artist has been very slow due to a lack of focus. I want to speed things along. Iíd eventually like to paint cooler things than household objects, but Iím not quite there yet. My art is mediocre at best. I would welcome any critiques that anyone would care to give as I discipline myself as an artist.
    Here are three paintings Iíve done today and a sketch.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start to your sb! need to see more before i give you any crits so hope you keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks kevin_ , I plan to keep posting.

Here are some more food paintings, and a sea monster.
    Itís weird. Iíve never done this many paintings back to back, and instead of feeling tired, I just want to do more. One day at a time though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The life paintings are looking good and it’s great to see you’re really trying to stick to your goal You could attempt to do numerous objects in one picture in order to look more at how colour and light effects different materials. Keep going! Your work will pay off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks SophieW
    I took your advice to put more objects in one painting. I think the result was pretty cool.

Donít have a lot of paintings today; just two, but they were a little more time consuming than the regular fruit pieces. I was glad that I had previously spent time studying how reflections in spheres work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iíve been working on this sword painting all day. I think Iím going to spend the rest of the day doing figure/ anatomy studies. I really need to get comfortable drawing people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, Iíve been exhausted with a headache all day. Iíve done a few sketches, and this one crappy painting here (keeping with my goal). However, aside from the fact that this hasnít been that great of a day, I have learned something that I think is rather profound. Painting from life actually tricks you into being able to paint from your mind. I started this skull and finished it in about three minutes, and it was all from imagination. The cool thing was that when I went to paint it, my mind was looking for edges, planes, and values in the same way it would if I were observing on object on my desk. It was a really cool experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason I really havenít felt like painting today at all, but I do have a goal to keep. Hopefully tomorrow Iíll feel better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving all your practice still lifes, they've come along since the first post already, which is really cool to see. Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Etchpea, I noticed some improvement as well. Of course, if the last couple of days are any indication, Iím kind of in a slump. I'll get over it eventually, but it still sucks just the same.

This is the best of the work Iíve done today. I canít seem to crank out anything above the level of frustrating crap today. Usually when I get to this point I donít draw for weeks, but thatís not the case now. Iíve been frustrated with this all day, but at least Iíve been working. I suppose thatís something.

(Note that the thing in my hand is a flashlight... It's used for seeing in the dark; nothing else.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today Iíve been drawing images that I saw before falling asleep last night. It has resulted in some really weird things. The one I painted is not actually supposed to be Santa Clause. Itís just a floating head in the balcony of an old theater.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I had an idea for a painting. Iíve done a few (highly unintelligible to anyone but me)thumbnails, but I still need to do more to flesh out the idea. Basically what I want to do is comment on life and death. I want to have a skeleton lying on the ground, and a flower growing between its fingers (or near it) to symbolize how your life is transferred to new life after your death. The skeleton symbolizes your death, and the flower symbolizes how life goes on. Itís a nicer picture than having your life transferred to worms I think.

Anyway, my painting for the day is: what happens when a Jawa finds a lightsaber.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those still life look really good. They have a nice balance between hard and soft edges.
    I'd suggest applying that to the human figure now.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks BlackPelphin. Iím working on being able to draw the human form. Itís not easy.

I have to focus more of my time on my college finals this week and less on art. My drawing time has consisted mostly of human proportional studies, shadow casting, and color mixing. Anyway, I was driving down the road at night and I saw a police car that had pulled someone over. Interestingly, the red and blue lights created a very nice purple color. I tried to replicate this in photoshop, but itís weird because when I mix red and blue they do create a purple color, but itís really muddy. On a whim, I decided to add the transitional color (purple) to the mixture and then blend it. This gave me the color transition that I was looking for. I donít know what the deal is with this, and Iím not sure if Photoshop is messed up somehow or what the deal is, but Iíve done an example page for anyone who is interested in this. Of course, Iím sure Iím not the first to figure this out. Any advanced artists who want to explain why photoshop doesnít blend colors this way would be welcome to inform me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to know that as well! Cool experiment, and good job to you for making such a good observation.

You've got a great start to a SB on your hands here. Your rendering skills are already showing much promise (that sword!!!). I would just recommend to keep your nose to the grindstone on your fundamentals, and without a doubt, in a few years you'll be well on your way

Take care.

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Syle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig your paintings, specially the ones with fabric, although you should practice some edge control I notice some of your paintings are.a bit fuzzy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your texture rendering looks good, especially on the fruit skins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Denzel! I feel like I'm really week with textures, so I'm glad they're reading.

I finally got done with those college projects. I did learn all about the life cycle of stars, and picked up a lot of interesting information. So, note to those of you who paint space scenes: best avoid green stars if you want to keep the scientists happy.

In other news, I found a funky apple that was just begging to be immortalized. I need a lamp or something for my desk so I can try different lighting positions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies you have in your sketchbook just try to add some more textures to your still life also try posting a few traditional sketches I like to see them to

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback udonhead. Iíll definitely keep it in mind! Iíve actually got a few sketches compiled onto a sheet today.

My phrase for the day has been ďHoly Crap!Ē Iíve had some very productive sketchingÖ though you probably canít tell just by looking. The whole ďinventingĒ concept as applied to learning how to draw new things, clicked in my head today; very cool.

Anyway, hereís my painting for the day. I saw someone else paint a spoon, and thought it would be fun to try. Plus, my mother gave me this little wooden Santa toy, in hopes that I would paint it, so heís here too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Iíve always felt that my ability to develop interesting compositions is lacking. Today I just started coming up with a couple of compositions by laying in some values and looking for images in them.

The first one is the last image of a dying soldier on a battlefield. His soul is being taken by a reaper.

The next one is just some kind of jungle teleport pad.

The last one is an archer sneaking up on a shaman who just killed a man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last week was insanely busy for me, but things have slowed down and I'm getting back on my schedule of painting everyday now. This was an attempt to paint some kind of sunset today.

Members who have read this thread: 3