Guess I'm calling this one finished, but critique wanted! -contains fanart-
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Guess I'm calling this one finished, but critique wanted! -contains fanart-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guess I'm calling this one finished, but critique wanted! -contains fanart-

Oh my, this is my first time submitting anything here! So, let's start with a simple one.
    Lately I've been reading 'Journey into Mystery' and had a huge urge to draw some Loki fanart.

I did this with a bit different style than I'm used to. It leaves me in a situation where I can't decide what I really think of this. You tell me?
    I also want to ask for constructive criticism. If someone is kind enough to sit down, really check this out and comment, your effort will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for viewing!

Loki, Thori and Ikol Marvel

Name:  The Gang of Mischief by Janna-Riina 2012.png
Views: 329
Size:  848.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I just don't really understand what's going on here. Why is he doing jazz hands while about to step on a demon dog? None of the characters really seem grounded in a three dimensional space, which is why it looks like he's going step on that dog - the background isn't really helping with that at all, I'd ditch it.

Also this is a bit of a pet peeve, but characters are trademarked not copyrighted. Copyright applies to individual works, while trademark applies to concepts (or at least that's my understanding, I'm no lawyer).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to humboldt squid For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I too question the pose. And even if you want that pose, I'd get more refs to use or make it more fluid and exaggerated, right now it just looks stiff and awkward because seriously that's a pose that no one in real life would really do naturally so to me it comes off also bit... "forced".
    And on top of that, the angle the lifted leg is on makes the silhouette of the character jumbled and hard to figure out. Like try blocking all the characters with pure black and see how they look then.
    Also get refs for the lighting, now it's just coming kinda everywhere (thus making it hard to see the form and placement of the limbs in relation to others) and there's loads of useless rim lights that wouldn't even exist in a situation like that (like the light on Loki's sleeve that's facing his blue vest, at best there might be some bounced blue there but not a light like that, the lighting and material that clothes are generally made of just don't lend themselves to that) and just cause needless detail that just bogs the pic down. Pay more attention on getting clear light and shadow that's consistent (on all characters) rather than details like that.

Also I think you could use more refs for the face too, at the moment it looks kinda elongated and vaguely "Anime Long Mid-Face-ish" http://whitetrashpalace.deviantart.c...LE-2-169660702

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That was a fun read over coffee, TinyBird.

Don't despair, Creepynurse. You've got a lot going for you here, not least a professional approach and a high degree of finish. But underlying awkwardnesses in the pose and the anatomy are letting you down. Next time, let us be rude to you in the planning stages

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Urban Loki and as a kid? What? My daughter is a huge Loki fan so I got updated on the Loki as a kid story She was happy to see some Loki art! Besides what other folks have said, I'll just point a couple areas that seem odd. If you keep his current pose, the folds on his right leg coming up from his rear end, hamstrings and up over the knee seem wrong. I would think that the pants would be stretching with less folds and the folds around the knee look like the end of the pants are gathered and don't match his other leg. I wear cargo short pants myself most of the time and when I lift one of my legs like Loki (holy cow that's hard for me to do... I need to stretch more!) there are some creases along the side of the pants near the groin and hip area, but very little along the direct underside. Also the bird's (magpie?) wings could use some adjusting. It looks like it's taking flight but the left wing is almost slammed into it's face where it should extend more into space to the left. the right wing also seems too short when I quickly looked up some pics of magpies. Getting some more reference pics may help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Father Tiny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your encouraging words! ^^
    I don't find anything said here rude, but quite the opposite! I'm so used lurking in galleries where no-one is willing to give any criticism, no matter how nicely you ask them.
    I'm really glad here people are different. Plus getting pointers from people who really know what they're doing is great!

Next time I post I will throw here a w.i.p. I just had to give this one a shot because this picture was really bugging me
    Till then, I'll keep up practicing~

Take care!

-Janna

Members who have read this thread: 2