Graduating Art Student
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Graduating Art Student

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graduating Art Student

I'll be graduating very soon. I was wondering if I could get any advice from anyone else about what to do afterwards. My plan currently, is to get a job doing something unrelated to art(7-11, mcdonalds etc) while I practice up and include more work in my portfolio. I'd like to know if this seems like a decent plan. I'd like to do Illustration or 3d modeling and texturing professionally one day.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Post some work here?

People could tell you to get a dayjob in the meantime and work on your skills. Or people could tell you to go out looking for art based work while making sure at least your bills are paid. But people can't do either because no one knows where your at skill wise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on graduating soon!!!! How EXCITING!!!!!! Sounds like a good plan, but yeah post something. Congratulations again!!!!

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If possible, it would be better to get part-time work in something at least vaguely related to your career, that way you stay attached to your field in some way and have a better chance of building up the kinds of contacts you'll need in the future. You might start with low-level grunt work, but at least you're loosely connected to the industry you want to be in and getting experience.

When I first graduated I stayed afloat for a while doing itty-bitty freelance gigs for small businesses and working a part-time low-level job assisting at a design firm (mostly I scanned and retouched stuff for them. Yeah, glamorous.) But it helped me gain experience dealing with clients and working on real jobs, and kept me in contact with people in the industry.

There's some good advice on the post-graduate life in this post from Muddy Colors: http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2011...-years-to.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why don't you try looking for an internship of some kind? Maybe one that can pay you something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm planning on making a sketchbook on this site this way I can get feedback on my work and hopefully improve. I'm finishing my portfolio and my reel this quarter but for now here are a few assorted things I've done.
    http://dominiqueparker.imgur.com/all/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.