Time management and Workflow Question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Time management and Workflow Question

Probably wrong section wasn't sure so please move if incorrect...

Just wondering how many freelance concept artists are Stay at home dads and how they manage their time between work family and personal projects...
    Including how much and when to sleep lol, I'm finding it difficult to get in practice time without waking the next morning like I was hit by a bus. I have 2 school age and a toddler and recently a newborn, so morning till after dinner is basically full of distractions and if I take away my nights for personal stuff I run out of steam quickly.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xopher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i assume you're married right? whenever it's time for your wife to take the responsibility to watch the kids thats wan you shoud draw.. stop watching tv playing video games and hanging out with friends replace all that with drawing time i think when all your kids start school i think it should get you good amount of time to draw.

Last edited by creeptool; November 20th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Probably wrong section wasn't sure so please move if incorrect...

Just wondering how many freelance concept artists are Stay at home dads and how they manage their time between work family and personal projects...
    Including how much and when to sleep lol, I'm finding it difficult to get in practice time without waking the next morning like I was hit by a bus. I have 2 school age and a toddler and recently a newborn, so morning till after dinner is basically full of distractions and if I take away my nights for personal stuff I run out of steam quickly.
    Most of the professional artists I know started their families after they had established themselves in the market. I don't know of any who had four kids while trying to learn art and start an art career. You will most likely need to postpone any serious progress until your kids grow up and go to college. Think of it as an incentive to get them to leave at 18. All of the pro's I know make the money and their spouses take care of the kids and household. Their studios are either offsite or off limits while they work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In Brad Rigney's interview with Crimson Daggers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEU03Q5H5sU) he basically says he works from around 5PM when his wife gets home from work until Midnight or sometimes later. He watches his kids during the day. Pretty much no time for anything but being a Dad and his art. It's a long interview, but a good one to listen too for that pep talk we all need to hear sometimes about working hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies, guess ill be doing it the harder way....I make enough money during day doing IT (general computer crap) at home, but if I want to change career I have to make the money and fit in practice till I'm confident I can market myself, without my family missing out too much.

My wife does most the school part and of course newborn, I just help out because I believe she has the harder job lol.

That was great interview been on crimson Daggers few times they got some good shit. And I have taken that tip before from watching Feng Zhu's design lab, I hold off on the tv and video games so as not to become too influenced by them at design time. (Unless I want to be influenced, lighting color palette etc).

Thanks again all, ConceptArt.org always has some quick reply opinions its the google of concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I hold off on the tv and video games so as not to become too influenced by them at design time.
    noooo! you dont do it because these things waste time. feng zhu mentioned it in his videos... hes looking at gameplay videos and trailers, i do so too and listening (more than watching) to shows, movies, whatever on my second screen. i think its crucial to be influenced and inspired (it somehow also helps me to have some kind of background noise going to really focus). good sampling is the way to go imo, hard to come up with something pristine these days.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like listening to crimson conversations or cgmw q/a when drawing. If i try and have background music or video I end up switching songs or watching the movie lol even if i seen it b4....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot who it was but in Wizard Magazine years back someone said he has listened to Jaws at least 50 times while he's drawing..when I read that I was like wow I've done that before listen to Jaws like 50 times lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.