Sketchbook: I really want to learn to do concept art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I really want to learn to do concept art

First of let me begin by saying to me drawing is like flying. if you've ever tried to fly as a kid you know what i feel like trying to draw.

With that said, i would still like to learn and i want to get past all that. I got myself photoshop, I got myself a bamboo tablet, I got myself some pencils, and i got myself some paper. What i don't have is anything to begin with. I've tried dozens if not hundreds of times to just sit down and begin to draw with no luck.

I'm hoping someone can suggest a good beginner book that worked for me them, or a nice tutorial or a website that will get you started. I can't take any classes for learning to draw(at least not anytime soon) so my only chance is a book or a video tutorial or something in between the two or whatever. I've begun to look at some tutorial websites like ctrlpaint. but i just get discouraged by seeing that guy make it look so easy! even in a beginner tutorial he's drawing stuff. I just need something very the very basics something that will teach me from the ground up and at least give me the building blocks for me to then go on and learn on my own by just drawing everyday.

any help is greatly appreciated. I know it will be a lot of work and a lot of drawing everyday but i want to make it happen. sick of sitting around saying i wish i could draw.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you looked in the tutorial section of this forum?

The Andrew Loomis books are pretty popular.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! i'll check him out.

I looked but i couldn't really find anything for a day one beginner. I may have missed something though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    basically? everything. I honestly don't even know where to begin. it probably wouldn't hurt to learn the verb basics of drawing in general

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if you've had a look at "fun with a pencil" yet, but that's probably the best one of the Loomis books for an absolute beginner who's a bit scared to start And don't worry too much about "doing it wrong", just have fun, the rest will come with practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!! I'll take a look at the book

Members who have read this thread: 4