How to become an environment artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How to become an environment artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to become an environment artist

hello,
    i've always wanted to get into art but never got any proper instruction or path to follow, and i know my passion lies within environment art, more specifically landscapes and buildings.
    Does anyone have any tips on how i could get started doing this sort of art, having no art experience at all?
    Thank you very much for your help and time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pick up a pencil,buy a sketchbook and start drawing landscapes from life...

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Go outside and paint. Get yourself a french easel and some paints and give it a try. Try copying some photos you like. Post them here in the Work in Progress section and get feedback. Look at online tutorials by people like Noah Bradley on Youtube. If you want to see an approach to landscape painting I have a link in my signature to some Alla Prima demos.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Go outside and paint. Get yourself a french easel and some paints and give it a try. Try copying some photos you like. Post them here in the Work in Progress section and get feedback. Look at online tutorials by people like Noah Bradley on Youtube. If you want to see an approach to landscape painting I have a link in my signature to some Alla Prima demos.
    Do all of the above, except for copying photos. It's much more useful to set up a simple still life with consistent lighting.

Also, be aware that the base of painting lies in drawing and values, not color.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Copying from photos tracing them actually, was a teaching method used by the famous artists school established by Norman Rockwell and other golden age illustrators so the practice is valid as a learning tool.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Do all of the above, except for copying photos. It's much more useful to set up a simple still life with consistent lighting.

Also, be aware that the base of painting lies in drawing and values, not color.
    Disagree. It is ok to copy from photos. It is however, bad to only copy from photos. The big mistake that people make is that they think all their learning is to be done from Google. Go. Outside. And. Draw.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: Didn't read carefully enough. Not relevant.
    Sorry.

EDIT again: I didn't know Rockwell traced photos when he was learning. Interesting. Schmid seemed quite opposed to the idea... then again he didn't seem able to articulate why.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Photos aren't a replacement for good judgment and I agree with Arenhaus, setting up a still life would be better, I just don't think you'll get most people to do it in the beginning. When I first started teaching workshops I refused to allow people to work from photos because I believed in working from life but some people have trouble working from life in the beginning and photos can be a good set of training wheels for them. I'd rather people use them as a stepping stone than be overwhelmed trying to draw and paint from life and just give up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, by enviroment artist do you mean landscape painter, or do you mean it as the game industry does, i.e. someone who models and textures environments? In either case, you'll benefit greatly from drawing and painting in nature, but if it's the latter, learning 3d software is rather important too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got into environments mostly by drawing traditionally (pencil) some simple structures in perspective and sometimes putting characters in there. Most of this stuff was crap though. Then I started playing with digital and watching tutorials (I think Ryan Church videos helped a lot) and developed some basic techniques. It took long time though to get some decent grasp on values and colours. During all that learning time I did some life drawing and painting not as much as I would like to.

I would also recommend life drawing/painting but also freehand perspective drawing and playing with different mediums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 1