Art: College Project - Rebranding existing product
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

College Project - Rebranding existing product

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE FINAL ARTWORK

Hi guys, for one of my College projects. We have to take an existing product and make a full advertising campaign, we also need to re brand the product with the clients approval, so I thought of choosing a band and & make art work for it for a new album release. I have recreated the current logo they have & also a rough mockup of the album art I thought to push forward. "Identity" is one of their singles. So the idea of theater masks seems to be a good idea to bring out the meaning of the song, but I need to polish this out more.
    If I say something of the band Salvage is an alternative rock band, the logo should evoke that feeling. I would greatly appreciate your feedback & any fresh Ideas you have which will help me to push this project forward.
    Thank you

The Logo I created
    Name:  logo.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  107.0 KB

The rough mockup of the album art, (I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this.)
    Name:  album-art.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  72.9 KB

Last edited by Devinda87; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why is the logo underlined?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, no specific reason, thought it will help to bring out the look more. Is there a reason I should avoid it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there should be a clear reason for everything, every element in graphic design. Usually, placing text between two lines, top and bottom, boxes it up, and that should be avoided unless that is your clear intention; in this case it would pop out more without the bottom line, or if you would place it significantly lower, as to suggest a magnetic crane picking up some "salvage" from a junkpile. I always avoid underlining text, from a simple compositional point of view - what does that line do to help my text since it's already anchored to a baseline? And that baseline comes in to view automatically in the viewer's eye (think negative space).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHuffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you were right, last week I gave it a thought & removed the underline, feels a lot better now, now that I'm reading your feedback I'm sure I made the right decision. will upload the final artwork soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Submitted the project, did a whole bunch of designs. I'm quite satisfied with the overall feel. any advice I can get to improve these further will be much appreciated.

Album Art
    Name:  album art3.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  345.9 KB

CD cover design, front spread & back
    Name:  album-art_front-cover-spread.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  293.2 KB

Business card
    Name:  business-card.png
Views: 604
Size:  81.2 KB

Facebook cover pics
    Name:  FB1.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  180.2 KBName:  fb2.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  175.7 KBName:  fb3.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  190.5 KB

Facebook event page pic
    Name:  facebook-promotions_pic-&-event-page-pic.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  85.1 KB

Leaflets
    Name:  leftlets copy.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  349.7 KB

Gig ticket
    Name:  show-ticket.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  75.6 KB

T- shirts
    Name:  tshirt.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  302.3 KB

Teaser poster
    Name:  teaser-poster.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  342.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but it appears to me the kerning on the logo is slightly off on either side of the "V". A little too much space compared to the kerning on the rest of the letters.

Also, the distressed text could be pushed a little further to enhance the desired effect. Right now, it seems too subtle, especially when the logo is small. it doesn't need much, just enough to be recognized at small scale.

The illustration is interesting for a comp, but a little too soft in places for my money. Harder, bolder edges would enhance the image, I think.

Finally, unless they are making JelloŽ molds and not music, the word is "Performing", not "Preforming".

That's my two cents. Hope you got a good grade for all your hard work.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!!
    But the text at the first image looks quiet small...you could enhance that!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with sigmadog's comments.

Adjust the kerning slightly in the V and bolder brush edges for the painting will certainly take your work to a slightly higher level.

Having said that, I think you did an excellent job with the rebranding. Much better than the previous.

I worked in print for several years, particularly in CD Printing and Duplication, and I can see that your disk has quite a professional look to it.

Even though its a school project, I recommend you print it on a thermal disc printer, if you can find somewhere that does short runs that is. It would make an excellent addition to your portfolio.

Overall, good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thanx for the feedback, and yes, the illustration looks too loose, actually I kind of a rushed it, wasn't able to mange the time on that closing the deadline. It would have been a real deal if I would have spent more time on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I agree with the comment regarding the kerning on the “V” sometimes when you introduce design elements into the typography it can distort the space between each character.
    I like the image you have chosen to use, but I would consider taking specific elements from the image, and then using them throughout the promotional material to create more of a consistent, yet varied brand.
    For me the image works better when it is just the two birds, but overall some pretty nice work, I hope you got the grade you wanted.

Members who have read this thread: 2