Which college is best for video game cinimatic computer animation? - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which college is best for video game cinimatic computer animation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh. I'm not actually angry - although I can be pretty blunt so it's possible my posts aren't being read well. There are certainly a few good points, and Themegagod, you did totally have an excellent post. (Btw, I totally misread your name as Theme ga god for the longest time

I get that you don't think being better is a good answer - but at the moment, it's the only one I have when we are talking about the whole industry. It also matters because each art director has their own preferences, which may be different than someone elses. Hence the right person looking at the right time comment.

Here's my concern about the choosing a school issue, Jaklor: When it comes down to it, 90% of you getting better depends on you and access to good mentors who have actual industry experience for more than a year. If you simply rely on others too much you are also relying on their point of view and their own desires for what they want out of that school - which may differ than yours. I know people that loved CalArts - and I know people that hated it. I also know plenty of CalArts alumni that would never pay the amount of money it costs now to go there. That cost-benefit analysis will really be up to you.

I'm actually going to disagree with OfficialLamp to be diversified - not that I think it's always bad, but it can have the downfall of being okay in a lot of fields but not really great in one. This might be more dependent upon what the entry level jobs are. It might also depend if there is any crossover - for example, knowing animation really helps storyboarding. Knowing rigging will help modeling. But not everything is closely related. My personal viewpoint is that animation is difficult enough without trying to study for a high level of competence in additional fields, so your mileage may vary.

Jaklor! You're in 8th grade!?

Oi. Okay. Yeah. *facepalm* Dude, I've been talking to you like you are over 18. First, I just want to say it's awesome that you know what you want to do. One of the corner stones of animation is understanding gesture and how people act. If you can, I would highly recommend taking an acting class at your school if they have any. Have you done any animation/had any instruction in animation at all?

Also, schools can change dramatically in 4 years if they lose or gain faculty - so it's likely you will have to repeat all this research when you hit 17.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarklor View Post
    I would definetly want to study Japanese. Do you think it would be a good idea to take classes online for that while I'm at college? Or would that be too difficult to attempt? I could study Japanese after college but I'm afraid I would forget it over time. What do you sugest I do? (This goes for everyone)

I'm currently an 8th grader. I know it is too early too decide but it is a good idea to think about this.
    Oh geeze, you're in grade 8. Okay new advice:
    1) Passing your highschool classes comes first.
    2) Draw from life as much as you can.
    3) Pick up a copy of The Animator's Survival Kit. No need to go hardcore studying it, just read it and review the principles over the next couple of years.
    4) Don't be stubborn and allow yourself to make new goals. What you want now might not be what you want next year, or the next.
    5) Keep things simple and don't get wrapped up in the details of a career that's a good decade from picking up.

*Edit* I double the acting classes suggested by Alice. I seriously wish I could have jumped on that while they were free to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    How about a language program like Rosetta Stone. I know it's dumb but you can learn the language in your house. My friend learned Korean and he travels there every summer. I don't know I'm just saying. It would make your life easier.
    By the time I finish a full 4 years of Japanese at my high school, I will be way ahead of Rosetta stone. I was thinking about taking cources online and I'm wondering if that'll be too difficult since I'm already studying computer animation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Oh geeze, you're in grade 8. Okay new advice:
    1) Passing your highschool classes comes first.
    2) Draw from life as much as you can.
    3) Pick up a copy of The Animator's Survival Kit. No need to go hardcore studying it, just read it and review the principles over the next couple of years.
    4) Don't be stubborn and allow yourself to make new goals. What you want now might not be what you want next year, or the next.
    5) Keep things simple and don't get wrapped up in the details of a career that's a good decade from picking up.

*Edit* I double the acting classes suggested by Alice. I seriously wish I could have jumped on that while they were free to me.
    Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one that went ack! need to change tactics

I had the same problem - I always thought it would be really easy to just pick up acting classes as an adult after college; it's really not. :/ I'm going to second everything OL stated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the time I finish a full 4 years of Japanese at my high school, I will be way ahead of Rosetta stone. I was thinking about taking cources online and I'm wondering if that'll be too difficult since I'm already studying computer animation.
    What type of high school do you go to that teaches computer animation AND japanese! I wish I went there.
    But as officiallamp said, don't sweat it too much yet. It's a good thing you are learning now, but in the next four years life can makes all types of specialization twist and turn on you. If you know you want to be an artist of some type, just work on observational work primarily. That's what colleges want to see in your portfolio, and if you work on that for the next four years, you will be an amazing artist. I hope I don't ever have to compete against you for a job one day! But in four years, ringling and CalArts may no longer be ranked the best in animation, and who knows what other schools may open up? The cost of tuition may soon hit a bubble, and some schools may 'pop' causing their prices to decrease.
    Id say work on japanese as it can be an invaluable skill to have, and work on animation, but keep it to a minimum. If you are more obsessed with japanese than art, maybe you should think about looking into becoming a translator or an engilsh teacher abroad.
    but if you really know you want to be an artist, focus on observational work and illustration/fine arts. draw everything you see all the time (fill at least one-two sketch books a year) and you will be much better off than anyone I met in highschool.
    how you plan to juggle school work, animation, japanese, a social life, and club/ extracaricular activites is going to be amazing to find out. and if you want to do all you say, AND get scholarships, you will have to do all of that.

8th grade... wow. Wish I had aasked the questions you asked back when I was in 8th grade...

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have started using autodesk maya. However I have not tooken any formal cources. I really want to take a lot of art classes in highschool. These are the ones: Drawing I, Drawing II, Painting I, Painting II, Comercial Art, Two-dimensional specialized art I, Two-dimensional specialized art II.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have started using autodesk maya. However I have not tooken any formal cources. I really want to take a lot of art classes in highschool. These are the ones: Drawing I, Drawing II, Painting I, Painting II, Comercial Art, Two-dimensional specialized art I, Two-dimensional specialized art II.
    You are incredibly lucky to have to many art classes in highschool. My highschool had just art, and it was basically just poster coloring class. Yeah sure, tinker around with Maya a bit, but it's a complicated machine of a program so take it slow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My bad, I didn't know you can take a Japanese class in your high school. Screw Rosetta Stone lol. While you are in high school focus on learning the language and life drawing. Make sure you are fluent in Japanese at the end of your senior year and focus on the art foundations. Get a bunch of sketch books. Make sure you always have one with you and draw everything you see. That way when you are in college all you have to focus on is in your work. Don't waste time like I did. I spent my high school years playing video games and hanging out. You don't have to be a robot. Just balance it out and you will get there! ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all of the art cources I'm taking are only a third of all the art cources you can take at my highschool. Too bad they don't have computer animation. Although they do have cartoon animation but it cheats be using the software from go animate.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ....can you take life drawing? (I wouldn't expect a highschool to have this, but now I'm curious.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Herring View Post
    ....can you take life drawing? (I wouldn't expect a highschool to have this, but now I'm curious.)
    No, you cannot take life drawing. Although I'm sure that the classes I have will teach us that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, you cannot take life drawing. Although I'm sure that the classes I have will teach us that.
    Doubtful. Can't teach how to draw from a live figure model without a live figure model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Synopsis, find a figure drawing class. if you can get to one (and in four years time I think you just may find you can) get there as often as you can and draw those naked people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My advice to you young man is to forget about it. This "japanese" phase almost always passes. Just work on your art. If you're still interested by grade 11, then look into language classes. Until now, I would lock that dream up in a bunker.

Last edited by Dunnstar; November 20th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnstar For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to note as someone who has been involved with members that have worked in the anime industry. Japan is really not interested in a foreigner trying to learn how to do anime style. They have their own people to worry about and will push that first, especially when the economy tanked. That's not to say it hasn't been done since Jan (Scott) Frazier have been one of those people, but on the writing and storytelling side.

Beginning animators were only making about 600-1200 a month is I remember correctly and the top animators in Japan are still not making much at all. That's because it's now a global market. Why go to Japan when you have Korean animators working just as hard for less? Liked, Avatar the Last Airbender, Legend of Korra and Boondocks? That's done by Koreans.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug...anime-20100819

Going to Japan is not the answer, we're in a global market for cheap labor.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 20th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes, is there a thread on the global market? reason I ask is because as Alice and saprissa began to get into (though a bit heated), it seems that it is very hard to compete against the call of cheap labor.
    how can a person compete against someone willing to work for less than a living wage?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if there's a thread on it per say but since the OP is actually asking for the gaming industry side, and not regular anime, I do know the same reasoning applies. Japan, culture wise is more into pushing its own people than taking in "gaijin" so going there isn't the answer.

They don't always hire foreigners to bring them in, but rather outsource to an overseas company.

I'm glad the person is inspired by a game, but they are young and need to make realistic goals. Draw first, keep drawing and improving. Put college in as a goal but if you're not even posting work, why would you want to work in the industry. You will be posting work to millions of customers.

But if you want some interesting reading... http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/0...e-development/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why wait till my 11th year of highschool to study Japanese? If I decide I like it then, I won't be able to take all classes. And I'm not intrested in working at an anime studio. I like to draw anime, but I don't need a career in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why wait till my 11th year of highschool to study Japanese? If I decide I like it then, I won't be able to take all classes. And I'm not intrested in working at an anime studio. I like to draw anime, but I don't need a career in it.
    Who said you couldn't study Japanese now. We said you need to be more serious about drawing. If you're not posting your art now to show you can draw, well it kinda is questionable why would you want a career in working on a career where you're going to post to millions of customers?

We get you're young, but you did ask us for advice. You never know what you want to be doing in several years from now.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; November 20th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    Arshes, is there a thread on the global market? reason I ask is because as Alice and saprissa began to get into (though a bit heated), it seems that it is very hard to compete against the call of cheap labor.
    how can a person compete against someone willing to work for less than a living wage?
    It's actually not; a major difference is that a trained, skilled artist cannot be replaced by anyone willing to draw.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Who said you couldn't study Japanese now. We said you need to be more serious about drawing. If you're not posting your art now to show you can draw, well it kinda is questionable why would you want a career in working on a career where you're going to post to millions of customers?

We get you're young, but you did ask us for advice. You never know what you want to be doing in several years from now.
    I never said I didn't want to post my work. I havn't because I don't feel like it. I'm not worried on other people seeing my work. Plus, It's even more harder when your using an I pod.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm about to say something pretty dickish. but he's in grade 8! Who cares. Tell him to work on his art and leave it at that. Any more advice is time wasted.
    Especially when he's refusing to listen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnstar View Post
    I'm about to say something pretty dickish. but he's in grade 8! Who cares. Tell him to work on his art and leave it at that. Any more advice is time wasted.
    Especially when he's refusing to listen.
    No, you got it wrong. I'm very fond of all tge advise that everyone has given. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm just really looking forward to college. I don't have any friends right now. So this is the only thing I can look forward to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, you got it wrong. I'm very fond of all tge advise that everyone has given. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm just really looking forward to college. I don't have any friends right now. So this is the only thing I can look forward to.
    Don't worry about it, try and make some friends. Alot of our life is spent anticipating the 'next stage' we tend to kind of miss the fun parts of our current stage. So my advice, keep working on your art (books, practice, art classes) and try and make some friends. Right now you're doing alot of fussing about nothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you recomend that I learn how to paint on photoshop? Right now I'm just using a standard pencil and paper. Are there any special tools that you recomend? I'm wondering because crayola pencils aren't working out for me well. One of the things I really want to learn how to draw is fantasy/video game enviorments. I also like drawing anime but I'll need to start learning how to draw more life-like things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you recomend that I learn how to paint on photoshop? Right now I'm just using a standard pencil and paper. Are there any special tools that you recomend? I'm wondering because crayola pencils aren't working out for me well. One of the things I really want to learn how to draw is fantasy/video game enviorments. I also like drawing anime but I'll need to start learning how to draw more life-like things.
    draw with a bit of everything. again, you are young and you have the benefit of time.
    I'd say use the colored pencils for awhile, learn to layer colors, and learn how the colors change by binging them closer, and so on. Eventually upgrade them from crayola to prismacolor pencils.
    practice working with paint. Photoshop works a lot like water color.

yet with all of this pencil and charcoal are great places to start since they work primarily in tone. as I said fill a sketchbook page everyday. use your sketchbook like a journal, fill it with what ever.
    use photoshop, but focus on primarily traditional work.
    in order to draw more life like, draw from observation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.