Ruining career by not majoring in art? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ruining career by not majoring in art?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune View Post
    It was a joke, some of us got it. You didn't get it, it's ok, we still like you.
    I did get the joke, it's just not funny. Doesn't mean I hate anyone either.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Notophthalmus View Post
    If you are going to pursue a different degree, what will it be in? I could see a business degree being useful to an artist. You could then minor or double-major in studio art, or illustration, or what have you.
    I'm considering programming, which may somehow help if I want to be a game artist. Or it may not, but hopefully it will be interesting for it's own sake. I'm also interested in literature. A lot of posters here think college is a bad place to learn time management, but I'm not going to the sort of school that will allow me to be lazy. I have no intention of setting myself back from my goal of being an artist, although some people seem to view it that way. I'll still study it on my own time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Areglom View Post
    A lot of posters here think college is a bad place to learn time management, but I'm not going to the sort of school that will allow me to be lazy.
    Well, you're going to do whatever it is that you want to anyway, but my opinion is based on 15 years' experience at a university known for its hard science and engineering programs, both as a student and an employee who dealt directly with students. It's possible that you'll wake up on September 1st and turn over a new leaf, but what's much more probable is that you'll go to school all gung-ho about your classes and within a month you will be behind on your work. Especially if you take programming, which is a discipline where you can spend three weeks writing something which then completely fails to work. Multiply by three for each programming course you will be taking in a semester and you can expect to spend all your time in front of the computer.

I wouldn't go and take literature though. If you're going to be unemployed, you might as well just go with the thing you were hoping to do in the first place.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Areglom View Post
    I'm considering programming, which may somehow help if I want to be a game artist. I have no intention of setting myself back from my goal of being an artist, although some people seem to view it that way.
    If you take programming, you will NEVER be a video game artist. You might do life drawings or paintings on your own and sell them at art fairs (I know a programmer who does that, and he posts here) but if you work in a game company and anyone hears that you have any coding skills at all they will dump coding tasks on you. Seriously, it would start with with innocent things like a little script to automate something in 3D Max and the next thing you know you are writing sfx particles systems and shaders and your boss took your wacom away because you were not using it anyways. If you don't tell anyone about your degree, they will wonder what's that hole in your resume. It nearly happened to me and I'm not even a programmer.

And how can you choose to be an artist when you have 3 times as many choices of jobs as a programmer, often with better salary? If you want to be an artist, be an artist (but if you want to take part time business classes, I would go for it, especially stuff related to being self-employed.)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should also start a glam-rock band. And be a cowboy-explorer! And change your name to Buckaroo Banzai!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you take programming, you will NEVER be a video game artist. You might do life drawings or paintings on your own and sell them at art fairs (I know a programmer who does that, and he posts here) but if you work in a game company and anyone hears that you have any coding skills at all they will dump coding tasks on you. Seriously, it would start with with innocent things like a little script to automate something in 3D Max and the next thing you know you are writing sfx particles systems and shaders and your boss took your wacom away because you were not using it anyways. If you don't tell anyone about your degree, they will wonder what's that hole in your resume. It nearly happened to me and I'm not even a programmer.

And how can you choose to be an artist when you have 3 times as many choices of jobs as a programmer, often with better salary? If you want to be an artist, be an artist (but if you want to take part time business classes, I would go for it, especially stuff related to being self-employed.)
    Everything Qitsune said is true. I know from first hand experience. It is spot on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post

I wouldn't go and take literature though. If you're going to be unemployed, you might as well just go with the thing you were hoping to do in the first place.
    That escalated quickly!
    Are literature degrees really that useless? good to know.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Related:

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tristan, I always find that video hilarious for two reasons. 1) It's true. 2) I used to have friends who worked at XtraNormal and who made videos like this possible. Hint they didn't study literature.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you take programming, you will NEVER be a video game artist.
    My brother and I both have a Programming/IT background. In the 90's the company we worked for went bust. I moved to another IT outfit, he joined the Royal Marines. After 9 months of gruelling training, he moved to his unit and ended up writing their vehicle maintenance system (amongst other things) as well as all the soldier stuff. When he left, we got together and now run our own small IT firm. For him, there is no escape from the IT gods! :-)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to D0ming0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

THIS. I worked in a studio a few years ago as a graphic designer. As soon as they knew I could do web development I turned into their code monkey. I would get a few design jobs, mostly tweaking something in an already made design or a template but most of the jobs would be almost entirely code. Then it happened again in another company. Then I stopped taking web jobs

There are other things you can study: Photographer, 3D Artist, Graphic Designer, Architect, Industrial Designer, Motion Graphics Artist.
    All these provide job opportunities, but you'll also learn useful stuff that you can apply to art.

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Januz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the bigger question is are you going to ruin your life by TRYING to be an artist.

Do or do not.

If you're all in, then be all in. If you aren't, that's okay. Just be honest with yourself. For some of us Art will just be a hobby, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In that case, get a good solid degree in something that will provide a decent living, programming being a good option.

If not, then it's time to put some balls to the walls. You won't have time for another field.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by themegagod View Post
    That escalated quickly!
    They're all right if you want to get into law or PR. The one English grad I know works for the government in communications. They're pretty dang useless otherwise.
    Somehow I don't see this guy getting into law, though.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.