nvm

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: nvm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow nvm

Last edited by ippi; February 17th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could perhaps go political (and thus perhaps controversial) and try to design for some political viewpoint. I wonder if there is a relationship between the type of font used and political ideas? Perhaps some fonts work better to convince people of a political idea than others? There may be a lot of research in that. And you do not necessarily have to personally believe in whatever political thing you design for - I think a designer should be able to design according to whatever his client wants, whether he believes in it himself or not, so choosing some political idea you happen not to support may be good practice. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Er... I hate to ask, but are you planning to have a career in graphic design when you graduate? Because if you are, avoiding branding and UI/web design is going to severely limit your job options.

If you're terrible at it, it might be a better idea to do more of it until you're competent at it, rather than avoid it altogether. (And once you become competent at it, you may hate it less.)

On the other hand, if you're planning to do illustration after you graduate, there's plenty of real life applications for that, depending on what kind of illustration you want to do... You could illustrate a book, or write and illustrate a children's book, or do a series of editorial illustrations on a current issue, or go to an event and do a set of journalistic illustrations, or make a comic book, or storyboard a screenplay or script, or make an animated short...

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; November 17th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The political topics have been covered to death, I've worked on several in the last three years. The political campaigns here are terrible anyway, they look like they're done in MS Paint. I have no problem working on things I don't agree with, hell I designed some posters for a mock Muslim Brotherhood campaign haha. I think the most difficult thing in my opinion is that I can't do something new and original/genuinely interesting.

I was also thinking about Egyptian newspaper social & political caricatures and the visual representation of issues and various segments of people. But I can't see a design problem here nor a practical application for this topic. Which is too bad, because it would make for a fun paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't plan on working in graphic design after graduation. I think it was a mistake that the 16 year old me made, it's just not for me.

As a project that I will be working on for a couple of months, I'm picking the thing that I am good at to generally make life easier for now.

The issue for me is choosing a topic that covers some sort of design problem (which is something I am required to cover), and that's where the challenge is. Applying illustration as some sort of solution to an existing problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't the whole point of a thesis to show that you 've actually learned something in school and you can now apply it? Whats the point if you can't come up with something on your own? Are you not embarrassed by that? Do your own damn homework .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dpaint

Embarrassed by what? Asking for different opinions about topics and what people's experiences in their projects were? The answer is no. If you have nothing useful to add, I suggest you search for other interesting threads for you to show your charming personality in instead of wasting my time and yours

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ippi View Post
    The political topics have been covered to death,
    Oh well, I had no idea. Looks like you are not really interested in the subject you studied anyway.

Thus I see two options:

1. Simply walk away from it - there is no law requiring you to graduate.

2. Stick it out for a few more months in order to graduate. And if you are merely sticking it out, it doesn't matter at all which topic you choose for a project. As we used to say when I was in college (and if you think your degree is useless, you should see what I studied for): 50% is a pass, 51% is a distinction, anything more is overkill.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When you talk about the not for profit sector, do not focus on the big charities as they can afford to get their branding right. Have a look at your local small charities, see what they have come up with, does it explain what they do and can you improve on it? I deal with a ton of small charities and their logo's, websites etc are not exactly great. Go and talk to them and find out what they do and what they want people to notice about them. You can always offer any designs you come with to them for free (remember they also helped you) and if they're happy, you have something to stick in your CV.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Isn't the whole point of a thesis to show that you 've actually learned something in school and you can now apply it? Whats the point if you can't come up with something on your own? Are you not embarrassed by that? Do your own damn homework .
    In the 21st Century, "Everybody Gets A Trophy" just for showin' up. . .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.