Thanks

How'd you get to be what you are today?

You people have too much talent. I'm going in 11th, taking AP Studio Art, but can never imagine myself being able to produce such great pieces of art, even after college, beyond that, and past 50. By the way, if yall dont mind me asking... when and where did you learn to do what you do best? What age were you? That way I'll know if there's still hope or if I should give up now and find another path in life.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    At your age you still have all the time in the world to improve, especially if you are passionate and dedicated. I'm 24 and made the decision to become an artist about a year ago (with nothing really indicating that I have any talent for art). But I know I'll be able to do it, because I want it badly enough, and I have confidence in my ability to grow and evolve as an artist. Don't let great pieces of art discourage you. Let them inspire you, and drive you to work harder to match and exceed what you are seeing. Good luck.

Thanks
    I seriously started sketching when I was in the 9th grade. I had always doodled and took on and off art classes before then, but upon entering High School, I really got a liking for it. It's all I did during class and at home. They were just typical pencil (#2) drawings on notebook paper or printer paper, and some as big as your little finger, but they helped pass time and in the end I enjoyed them very much.

I knew what I wanted to do, and doing best at it, during a game art class of mine. Character sheets were required for modeling purposes for a character we were to create, and I was the only one wanting to create mine in Adobe Illustrator. Crazy at it may sound, I completed all the views using the pen tool, without even knowing much of Illustrator, and eventually came to wanting to switch out of Game Art into Graphic Design. I'm happier then ever now and continue to work with Illustrator each and every day. Wouldn't change anything in the world.

Now for reading your post, I think in order to improve as an artist, you need to have a better attitude then the one you are showing us within this post. Finding your niche' or style won't happen over night and may require hundreds of drawings before you even come close to finding it. Which is why we all continue to draw as much as we do. Things are always changing, and so are ideas. Keep doing what you love, and you'll never be dissapointed.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Ive been drawing since I could hold a pencil. lol. Im still a novice though. But its all in practice. I have to say though, within the past year and a half, my work has improved tremendously. Thats when I really really took art seriously. I was pretty lazy before,but now, im not. lol. Besides, I started really improving when I got tips from other artists and studied different styles and anatomy and stuff.

Thanks
    my biggest problem when i was younger was constantly drawing with the goal of being the greatest or whatever. You need to keep setting tangible goals. You'll gradually get better without you even noticing it. For example, get better at proportions, anatomy, rendering etc. Concentrate on what you're doing and master it.

Thanks
    Yea, I see what you guys mean. I mean, I'm not saying "I'll never be able to do stuff like that", its just I don't know where to start. Now that I think about it, I am always comparing my artwork to pros. If all goes well in my life, I'll be a concept artist / 3D character modeler, for any gaming company. I would also like to know if anyone knows of any good 3D modeling programs that have a good tutorial included and is easy to use. Thanks for replying,
    Greg

Thanks
    What?! AP art class?! I envy you sooo bad!!!

Thanks
    bleh, in my school "AP artists" were nothing more but huge snobs, screw em all.

I am just speaking on behalf of my school when saying that.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    oh yeah, well my teacher said that Bob Ross wasn't an artist and proceeded to encourage us to do all kinds of crazy abstract stuff. My highschool art was a joke.....had to relearn to draw after highschool, lol.

So far as 3D software that's great for modellers, I reccommend trying Softimage|XSI 3.5
    Valve has a promotion going on that'll let you download XSI 3.5(with a few disabled things, but nothing you'll miss terribly) on their site.
    There are tutorials all over the net, and you could probably get a beginner's guide type book for cheap at a used book store or something.

Maya has some features that are nice too, but I find XSI so intuitive when it comes to modelling...like it's just drawing in 3D.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    I don't know much about 3d stuff, but I know you can get Maya Personal Learning edition for free, GMAX for free (basically a stripped down version of 3DSMax), and Blender is free as well (but has advantage of no watermarks (?) like Maya PLE, and with more usability than GMAX. Disadvantage: Learning curve, lotsa tutorials online though). For gaming I believe 3D Studio Max is used more often than Maya, and I know a lot of mods have been made in GMAX, so you might wanna look at that. Another note on Blender, though, they just released another update which brings back the real-time (game) engine. So you can even create your own 3D games in it, and it's open source so it's always free. Only real disadvantage, like I said, is learning it, but whenever you switch between 3D progs you're gonna have to relearn a lot of stuff.

Thanks
    Sounds Dumb but,whats in AP Art Class? And AP artists?

Thanks
    AP stands for advanced placement... it's basically just a more "elite" class in high school. AP english, AP calculus, AP whatever.

I personally didn't start drawing till after high school.. when I was like 19... I'm 21 now and still haven't had any art schooling, but I'm determined to become great anyway. (just need to draw more often -_-)

Thanks
    I got seriously into drawing at the end of eighth grade when flipping through my "Art of Warcraft" book. Then, I got encouraged by strych9ine's digital painting challenges in Photoshoptechniques.com(/forum). I just graduated 9th grade and I've regularly been doing studies and reference drawings.

I'm not very good yet, but if you compare my old works with my new ones, you'll see a dramatic improvement. :yummy:

EDIT : High school art classes are a JOKE. Our teacher asked us to make some crappy abstract stuff too. She just gave us some large poster paper and yelled, "DRAW!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ihateyou
    how'd i get to be what i am today?
    i killed my family.
    yeah.
    i'm in prison.
    looks like you killed the thread too.

Thanks
    You're never to old to start or to improve. You must be able to forget what you think you know about how things look and "really" look at things. That's most people's problem. They draw something based on what they think it looks like without really looking at their subject matter. Once you are able to break down anything into shapes and lines, drawing is really easy.

In terms of education, art school is great if you can afford it. If you can't, which most people can't, then any art classes are helpful. The best advice is to just do it as much as possible. Practice really does make perfect.

good luck.
    www.sumoshop.com