digital painting- start in grayscale or color?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: digital painting- start in grayscale or color?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

digital painting- start in grayscale or color?

Hi, this is probably a really basic question but I'm new to painting in any media and it's been confusing me. So I've been looking at tutorials and it seems that some people paint everything in grayscale first to get a better idea of the values, then add colors later. Which method would people recommend more, starting in grayscale or in color?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I'm going to start learning myself, so I have no hands on knowledge, but I'm assuming this is one of those areas where your probably best experimenting in both methods, until you find your way.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on how comfortable you are with colors, starting with black and white helps because you have to think only about value instead of going directly with color and having to think about hue value and saturation all at once. For beginners, starting with black and white is usually the best way, since when you have good values you can slap on it any colors on a color layer, and it will look good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually start with at least some level of black and white and than I use the multiply setting, among other things, in Gimp or Photoshop to add the first couple of layers of color. I really like David Revoy's Tutorials on this, he has a bunch but the one that helped me was http://www.davidrevoy.com/?article21/spider-harp.

Of course I have seen people lay down color and darken it, but for me the challenge was that I either was afraid to build the contrast or I grayed out the colors too much but that's a matter of style

There is a moment, when your feet touch a chilly wooden floor, your hands brush against a wooden rail. The sunlight streams through a window so you can see the dust dancing. It's a moment when everything is perfect, a moment you cannot describe no matter how hard you try. It is in these moments that you have connected to something ancient, something magical.
    I now seek out this moment through my art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    like Gam said, try both and see what suits you
    but i read that starting color give more life to your painting and it has its own charm

while black and white is more structured (and less lively ?) of course this is not always true
    it depends on you

you should be able to make the two

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I recommend taking a look at color theory, I have found it extremely helpful. It is very feasible to sketch in color once you understand the theory. This is a great website

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/wcolor.html

It's true that grayscale value contrast is the most important thing to get right in a painting, but there is so much information contained within color (mood, temperature, atmosphere) that it is well worth the effort to learn to paint straight to color (it's also really fun!!).
    An important idea to grasp with color is that hue contrast (e.g blue vs orange) is not as powerful as saturation contrast (grey vs saturated) so I recommend practicing with saturation and brightness on a single hue to start with. You'll notice when you pair neutral greys with saturated blue the greys look like orange brown, but when you pair grey with orange it looks blue. Our eyes are very good at seeing color where there isn't any!

Hope that helps

Members who have read this thread: 8