Trapped in the darkness. Feedback highly valued
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Trapped in the darkness. Feedback highly valued

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trapped in the darkness. Feedback highly valued

A4 (letter) size pencil drawing on dark paper with white gel highlights. Scanned and refined in Photoshop. (Added colors and altered light/contrast). Very much inspired by Karezoid on DeviantArt, specially his piece "The Lair update")

Still find Karezoids piece approximately 100 times more moving than mine, not sure why. I suspect its related to his extreme simplicity and beautiful textures.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pretty solid in my opinion! Any more work would likely degrade it.

Karezoid's image may seem stronger because it makes a more direct and simple statement.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And well, I personally just can't feel sorry for a guy why totally can get out of the cave pretty easily. Okay it might require him to climb a rope (one that's still sturdy rope and well attached, unlike the weak looking and scarily attached string in the other guy's image) for couple meters, but he still isn't exactly trapped in darkness, more like slightly inconvenienced in dim light.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    And well, I personally just can't feel sorry for a guy.
    i dare you to try to suspend yourself to the other side of the bridge to climb up safely on the other side which is also awaiting to fall apart hehehehe. ok j/k, and on topic, this is one hell ofa composition and subject, it gives me the chills already. and just wow for the textures.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsession View Post
    i dare you to try to suspend yourself to the other side of the bridge to climb up safely on the other side which is also awaiting to fall apart hehehehe.
    Well I still would totally prefer that to starving to death in a cave! Unless I learned to eat planks...

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pic is awesome!
    perhaps one of the key differences really is the "concept". in the other picture the character is trapped, there is a feeling of trepidation, how will he cross that?
    in yours he has a very clear and neatly built bridge to go across, there is a much stronger sense of peace, none of the trepidation. the values have a lot to do with this as well. theyre both quite different images. the difference comes from more than just the textures and simplicity.
    composition too. in his pic, on the 2d plane, the figure is quite central to the image, and is also very close to the exit, which creates the tension because we can also see it seems "almost" impossible to get there.
    sorry if i couldnt be more helpful. actually im not sure comparing the two images will be all that helpful.
    your pic is wonderful, my only suggestion would be to make the "break" in the bridge a little less uniform, perhaps have some of the planks falling away unevenly, get some distressing shapes in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much!

Not really trying to copy his image or style, though I would still like to know exactly what makes his images so awesome.
    I totally agree with the ladder, making it more "broken", a bit more randomly falling apart would probably help. However, the "concept" or theme or story isn't really central to me. I'm trying to learn more about the formal rules of composition etc. My profession (architecture) demands of me to create beautiful stuff independently of any story.
    I'm guessing that I went a bit overboard with textures, maybe they should be less detailed or pronounced in shadowy areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the narrative that makes it so evocative. We place ourselves in the predicament of the figure. Otherwise it's is just textured rock with a hole in it. Economy of language makes it stronger.

Your image is great BTW I love pencil so I'm biased. Again its the narrative in your piece, that needs tweaking. I know this is not what you were aiming for but in my opinion it is the core to the image. If I was doing this piece I would have drawn the bridge intact going up to the light, or maybe have stairs but to be broken directly in front of the figure. Have them hanging down to either side of the rock and stalagmite, which would draw a line down into the dark chasm below.

Then again because I'm a bit dark I may not have done any bridge at all! Just a figure looking up to the light, without any hope of ever reaching it!

Last edited by AvP; November 16th, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
    "If you look back on last years work and you still like it: you are slipping."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice image here. My only beef with it is that all of the rocks are the same texture and have are clumped in very similar shapes and sizes (if that makes sense)
    Go and have a look at cave systems on Google, here's an example http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...e_2315904k.jpg

There is a randomness and variety that creates interest in nature. Depending on the rock placement and or compound of the rocks you can make = a lot of cool shapes. Even smooth things off certain faces to create the sense that the system could have been underwater, could create more depth to the illustration. It helps to do some research into whatever your painting to help give it elements that you wouldn't think where particularly important. However people take notice of there environment and will be more engaged in something well researched and considered.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think another way to make this really stunning would be to add stronger overall contrast between lights and darks. While I think the pic could stand a lot more highlighting and darkening, but even as is I think it's beautiful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (year old necro)

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well I still would totally prefer that to starving to death in a cave! Unless I learned to eat planks...
    I LOLed on you guys! >_<
    The piece is good for me!!!
    One thing weirds me out though, why is that guy still heading to the exit when he can see its broken? :3

Members who have read this thread: 58