Sketchbook: Jyskal's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jyskal's Sketchbook

Hey all! OwO New member here, I figure since I've seen a lot of first posts with an introduction, I'll put mine here too.

I started seriously drawing in 06. And by serious, back then it just meant ALL THE TIME. I started posting on deviantart, and would post 2-3 drawings every day. I improved a lot in the very very VERY limited subjects I would do. (Wolves, and anime people.) And I've basically stuck to that kind of thing for years, using a cartoon style as a serious crutch.

Very recently I was fighting with myself, because the cartoon style that I've used as a crutch to avoid learning true proportions, and to just make my art seem better than it was has officially run me down. I've started looking at what I was drawing, and feeling this lack of pride and accomplishment. So I've made it my goal to desperately try to change my style, study anatomy more closely, and put the extra effort into every drawing I do, instead of just shrugging off the lighting, background, perspective, and compositional rules that make up the groundwork for most of the great art I've seen, and wished I could stand up to.
    Soon after I mentioned this, a friend told me about your forum, and how amazing it is, and how every member tries to help out, and give constructive criticism, to help the next member grow and succeed as an artist. I told myself this can't be true; coming from a community on dA where most people don't even know how to give criticism, let alone receive it. But I searched through different parts of this forum, read comments, and was astonished at how as a whole, you guys really DO try to help out the artist who's posting.

As such, I'm going to do my best to keep this updated here!

(Also: I apologize if my art doesn't have the real resemblance to concept work that a lot of the wonderful artists here do. I've just barely started to learn how to branch out and do the kinds of sketches, and paintings that I normally stare in awe at for concept work.) x.x;

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My DeviantART
    My Sketchbook

"I've learned in recent years, that even the most negative, and hateful of statements should be welcomed with open arms. After all, if someone is allowed to praise and compliment my work, and tell me how much they love the way I did ___, or ___ then why should I ever deny someone else the right to tell me that my work is awful, that I need to grasp the basics of anatomy/composition/originality/etc, and that I have FAR more to improve on?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here are my two most recent pictures, after the huge style changeup. I've found google images has been my best friend for figuring out proportions and such. owo

(ALSO: I'd like to mention that any critiques about where I'm still over stylizing the anatomy would be GREAT! >w< Aaaand these two aren't my characters. They're requests from my watchers on deviantART. I find I really enjoy drawing other people's characters when practicing! It's great having a change in pace from knowing every detail about what your character looks like. )

My DeviantART
    My Sketchbook

"I've learned in recent years, that even the most negative, and hateful of statements should be welcomed with open arms. After all, if someone is allowed to praise and compliment my work, and tell me how much they love the way I did ___, or ___ then why should I ever deny someone else the right to tell me that my work is awful, that I need to grasp the basics of anatomy/composition/originality/etc, and that I have FAR more to improve on?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok! Here's what I've been working on for the vast majority of today. (From like...3 PM till now, 12. X.x; ) A belated owed piece of a friend's character.

It's still not finished, but it's getting late, and I figure starting on practice sketches for things will help me come back later with fresh eyes to this piece, and fix any issues I see.

And if you're wondering what the weird random colors were for in the middle piece, it's something I've been trying out with plotting where primary light sources will be, deep shadows, and atmospheric, and environmental light. :3 That way I can better plot out the shading.

My DeviantART
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Jyskal ,

thanks so much for visiting my sb and welcome to ca.org from my part You got some very interesting stuff going on here. I am by far not a good advisor but I try to give you some feedback about your first posts because as you write abobe feedback was one of the reasons to come to ca.

So I find it very good how you try to reach to a certain stroke econymy which tries to describe form and movement with as many strokes as necessary leaving out all unnessary things. What you could try though is to work on your shading skills. All forms in nature are described by light and shadow, using only line to define forms tends to look a bit flat. If your goal is to draw animals and figures besides of studying anatomy and gesture drawing it is also good to draw boxes, spheres, cylinders and cubes as as a concept artist or designer it is important to draw to human body and animals from any angle in every lighting condition. Feng zhu has a great vid about that on youtube. I never posted that kind of stuff here on ca but I did many many pages full of that stuff...

Another great resource is matt kohr on ctrlpaint.com. He knows way more than me about that stuff. What I really like is your use of color. I think you have a good hand of choosing colors. However I would suggest you to work in black in white before because one tends to think too much about color and doesn´t concentrate on other basic things such as values. Using not the right values for for-mid-background tends to flatten the image as well. Hope you find my comment helpful and I will check back to see you growing as an artist... cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for this post, have to get confortable with the new forum system

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! Dont worry about your drawings not being conceptart paintings, We all have the same things to study at the core, whether you go into concept art or traditional painting or comics. We all have to learn and improve our drawing skills! You decide where you want to go with it, dont be intimated by others. That being said I hope you continue to post. You should pick up your starters manual http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Android
    Wow, thank you so much for checking out my thread! owo I really appreciate it. And I apologize for waiting to respond, I just wanted to make sure I had more art to post before I updated my thread. >w<
    Thank you very very much for pinpointing some of the stuff I need to work on. owo I've been looking up the stuff you told me, and I must say, they're a HUGE help! I learned a lot by watching them.
    I've also been doing more anatomy practice drawings, when I get my scanner hooked up, I'll probably upload them here too. ^-^ Your post was very helpful, so thank you again.

@Wingal

owo Thanks for clearing that up a bit. I wasn't sure if there was some underlying rule that the art posted here has to be concept art. Hehe.
    I'll gladly check out the books listed, thank you for taking the time to link me to them!

Onward to posting: I finished the WIP I was doing before, oh good god is it hard to try and add fur detail. D: That's something I REALLY need to practice with, not to mention I should probably do some more landscape and background studies. I'll try to make my next post some studies I've been doing. :3

My DeviantART
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping by my sb...anyway, nice start. I'm not sure how to advise you...studying basics like anatomy, color theory, composition etc is a must. I'd suggest using bigger brushstrokes and instead of painting every individual grass blade or hair you could use some textured brush. The net is full of amazing tutorials, just keep your eyes peeled. Work hard, I'm looking forward to see you progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! Thanks again for the comments, I've been working more and more on anatomy and such, as you guys have suggested! Here's some of my practice sketches, and a couple finished work.

The characters in these drawings are copyrighted to their respective owners of course, and a couple of them are mine. owo Then some of the practice sketches are just...sketches. xD

I also tried to take a suggestion, and use softer shading, with less crazy line value.
    But in the meantime, my lineart is still pretty crazy sketchy. XD

My DeviantART
    My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.