Stop apologizing already! - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stop apologizing already!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Of course not. This is just venting. Because there is no CA pub.

Personally I kinda like the way SomethingAwful does things -- the rules are arbitrary and possibly different for every thread and if you can't read then you go on forum vacation awfully quickly.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t128981-...efore_posting/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i fail to see how this would substantially change anything. just a lot more administrative effort.

seriously get over it. if people think youre trying to chicken out only wanting the answers without investing the effort, you gonna get called out for it. and thats how it should be imo.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    i dont think telling someone to go back studying the basics, objects to having mutual respect for him/her. exposing yourself through your art is tough... noone forced you to. do you want to grow as an artist? youre welcome here. are some replies hurting your feelings? pretty likely. are they therefore invalid? youd better reconsider that, if getting better is your goal.

theres the saying of... if you want to go for it, leave your ego at the door... and i strongly believe in that, and think it goes for every profession that goes beyond the ordinary.
    I don't disagree with this. My comment was directed to the lamb among wolves statement. I actually don't really like the wolf analogy because I have great respect for wolves having raised a few (I'd prefer the term hyena, but that's beside the point).

As for the scavenger thing... I don't really understand the analogy, because the issue is about the stupid little threads that offer no value, that most of the members here tend to ignore. Yeah we don't usually help... we know better... that's what google is for. What morsels?... general advice that most of us already know? Actually, I applaud those who do care enough to answer those questions and help new members with their trivial issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say wolves and beasts in response to an earlier statement where someone proudly compared himself and others as wolves who tear apart the nooby lambs who visit the site. I agree that both the world and the internet can be a harsh and tough place, but I don't agree with contributing to making sure its that way. Why must we make it even harder on people when we already know its so hard? Yes people may not act as bad as people on Xchan site or what have you but does that really justify it? I say this place makes me sorry because Ive seen people ask questions, which I assume were asked before, and in response the first about 6 response posts were jokes and memes/gif poking fun and then finally someone came by and dropped a link that could help the person out (but sometimes none as all).
    Some people have mentioned that the people reposting questions maybe new to the internet land, well if thats true, wouldn't it be more helpful in their learning to link the search page or a LMGTFY link, If it annoys you too much to tackle the question? There is a saying that ive heard ‘if you give a man a fish they eat for a day but if you teach them how to fish then they eat for life’. So why not teach them how to fish rather knocking them down into the river and hoping they drown so they dont ever ask you for help again! I d I doubt the lack of doing that is about not having the time or energy, as searching and linking the perfect meme/gif to make fun of the guy would take just as much time if not more.

I doubt that having the FAQ or what not would stop it from happening completely but it doesn't hurt to try, no?

Not totally related: Ive been online for probably the majority of my life now and was once that ‘lamb’ (and in many ways probably still am) but Ive adjusted and dealt with rude people but I haven't been transformed into a wolf and I dont believe we need to be a wolf to survive online without getting your souls crushed. I also dont believe the wolves touching me up have helped me adjust to the internet, rather the kind and cool people (you know people, who act like they are talking to other HUMAN beings when online) I have met online have kept me going to certain places inspite of wolves. Knowing that not everyone feels the need to act like that is better fuel for me personally, being the type of person I am. The impact of those few people ive met throughout my internet journeys, greatly outweighs any ‘help’ ive recieved from rude wolves nipping at my heels.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    I don't disagree with this. My comment was directed to the lamb among wolves statement. I actually don't really like the wolf analogy because I have great respect for wolves having raised a few (I'd prefer the term hyena, but that's beside the point).

As for the scavenger thing... I don't really understand the analogy, because the issue is about the stupid little threads that offer no value, that most of the members here tend to ignore. Yeah we don't usually help... we know better... that's what google is for. What morsels?... general advice that most of us already know? Actually, I applaud those who do care enough to answer those questions and help new members with their trivial issues.
    The reference is people who come in to complain about the "complaining" I referred it to scavengers because it seems stupid to point out the problem and not offer help either. So what are you doing then, scavenging? I find it ironic and hypocritical. You just add on to the bs one complains about. You're not addressing a problem, you're just contributing to it as well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, we have fallen far from the original premise of this thread.

This place will never remain as it always has been. A no-nonsense refuge for those that want to learn and experience
    the uphill battle that is the reality of becoming a "good" artist. Abuse of no members has never been and will not be tolerated,
    however, the wealth of knowledge that is freely available here comes at the price of taking incentive. I'd like to think we pay
    the compliment of frankness over the fear of bruising the feelings of a special snowflake.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The snark and anger is the frustration and woes of the wolves directed at the lambs as a catharsis factor. Try it, its fun.
    I dont really care either way. Sometimes its kinda funny, most of the time its tacky. Its the internet after all. Hell even competitive pokemon forums go berserk if asked certain questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Re the wolf pack syndrome. I get that this is the internet so I don't really take that too seriously - real life is just as tough and learning to deal with shitty attitudes from others and growing a thick skin from that is all just part of becoming an adult in an adult world rather than a protected kid in a cushioned environment. Thats not to say that I agree with it - I'll always approach people with respect and hope they return it and try to only get argumentative when someone acts like an arsehole towards me. Respect earns respect in my book. It's just that I get it and the why of it so it's not a big deal. Maybe if I was a sensitive young snowflake it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    At that point, all I can really give is personal anecdotes of how *I* overcame obstacles...which may not even help the person at hand.
    On a side note. I love hearing people's anecdotal stories about how they dealt with something or overcame a difficulty because it gives me a personal touch and an insight into how others figure their own art problems out, especially if they add examples of their work to go with it.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you think that kind of help isn't useful, because it would be to people like me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The reference is people who come in to complain about the "complaining" I referred it to scavengers because it seems stupid to point out the problem and not offer help either. So what are you doing then, scavenging? I find it ironic and hypocritical. You just add on to the bs one complains about. You're not addressing a problem, you're just contributing to it as well.
    I'm addressing what I feel the real problem is. I actually started my posting in this thread by explaining why people are apologetic. Later comments were in direct reference to other statements that were made in the course of the conversation. So I really don't think the complaining about complainers fits here... Now ironic and hypocritical (to continue the logic of that statement) would have to include people complaining about people complaining about complainers.

However, if my general call for civility offends anyone, I'm sorry.
    I've said my peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just for people to know google and books don't have all the answers all the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that both the world and the internet can be a harsh and tough place, but I don't agree with contributing to making sure its that way.
    I just think we may have different definitions of what is "harsh and tough".
    I think I am as helpful as I can be for my schedule. I think people like Dpaint and JeffX99 (among COUNTLESS others) offer more than you are giving them credit for. I mean, are you basing your opinion on the lounge or other areas of the site? The lounge tends to get a lot more "simple answers to complex questions" because often times the people asking don't know what they actually want. Go to other areas of the site where people are more specific and I see some incredibly specific answers.

I do agree that there is a certain degree of expectation on this site, though.
    For a site that has a large amount of industry professionals, people expect a certain amount of work to be done by the artist themselves. Even if that is just showing a LITTLE evidence of research or care in their craft. I think people around here have a good handle on figuring out if someone needs help or if they are just lazy and don't want to do anything expect get the quick fix. For that reason, I am sure you do see some things occasionally that seem "mean".

But in my opinion there are PLENTY of forums out there for beginning artists that haven't figured out what it means to even be an artist yet. By that statement I am not saying that beginners shouldn't be welcome here, they are, but they also shouldn't expect the hand-holding and ass-patting that happens on beginner forums.

And that's how I see it.
    I don't see any rudeness around here that is anything more severe than "tough love". If that is something you find "rude and harsh", then I think this just might not be the forum for you.

I'd like to think we pay the compliment of frankness over the fear of bruising the feelings of a special snowflake.
    This.

Last edited by Dusty; November 18th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    just for people to know google and books don't have all the answers all the time.
    Not the point. We don't tell people who come here with every question to GTFO and read a book or a sticky or go to google.
    Only when its obvious that the answer can be achieved by a slight effort on their part.

All of this contributes to the process of being able to draw effectively independently.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    That's absolutely true. The answers are only found by doing. You can read about art all you want and watch a lot of tutorials, not to mention ask tons of questions...and never, ever learn how to draw...if you don't do it. Just so people know.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 2