Learning Perspective from life drawing primitives vs constructing perspective

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning Perspective from life drawing primitives vs constructing perspective

The title says it all i think. Just recently I've been drawing boxes, glasses, rectangular, lathe objects from life and i feel a difference. I know traditional art training involves drawing boxes to teach perspective, but compared to the one point, two point and three or four point perspective setup techniques, this seems to work for me to be honest. I feel that it is totally different, and there is no other way to learn it but from real life drawing. What do you people think about this concept? Also if there are sculptors here, i would be really curious how exactly they learn perspective, if there is a significant difference compared to 2D artists (guess there is).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Theory and practice go hand in hand while doing a funny little dance.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you’re doing is fine, but as tobbA alluded to, understanding the general concept, rules and techniques of linear perspective drawing will only add to your awareness of what it is you’re observing, allowing you to make better decisions.

You should post some images here and start a sketchbook in the Sketchbook forum to show your progress. We can’t make any determinations about your approach unless we can see what it is you’re actually doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Again, why does everything have to be "versus"? Really, the best thing is to practice BOTH ways - observing perspective from life and constructing it from scratch. Both exercises reinforce each other, and at the end of the day, having the ability to both observe and construct is always useful.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Uh yeah...sculptors work in 3D? So perspective doesn't apply since they are not creating an illusion (yes, there are exceptions where sculptors and architects do use a sort of "reverse perspective" to account for viewing distance and angle).

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You learn from both. You observe form in real life, then the better you can see that form the easier and better you can construct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not both!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got over with my Architecture degree; during the first 1 1/2 years we were made to work on constructing perspectives. At the time I nearly got fed up with slight changes in the assignments every week (box first, box titled some degree, then tilted even more, another tilt, 2 boxes, basic sciography, cylinder, cylinder tilted a little, a little more etc; you get the idea) but now that I look back at it, it immensely helped; actually fast forwarded every practice I could get, that too with critiques from the teachers.

Now I find it so much more comfortable doing perspectives by feeling, and could care less about the technical side of construction. The foundation helped incredibly well. Or maybe I should say the scheduled-assignment-based-study-model worked better for me. Personally I would've never self studied perspective this intensely.

Edit: If you haven't already, get Loomis's Successful Drawing. There is an entire chapter (Perspective the Artist Should Know) devoted to the subject; and its very well detailed as well. We followed very much the same thing during college.

Last edited by MiladThaha; November 16th, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MiladThaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MiladThaha: Thanks for referring that book, i went through it quickly and i start to do those exercises.

I mostly worked with ZBrush, and learned 3D, and did some sculpting with super sculpey. Also did some linedrawing on the side. Just recently I got into life drawing objects, and it felt different. I guess its just that observing from life is always better than from 2D references.

I will start a sketchbook as you suggested. Thanks people!

Members who have read this thread: 9