Sketchbook: Tyler's sketchbook and concepts.. keep on learning!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tyler's sketchbook and concepts.. keep on learning!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tyler's sketchbook and concepts.. keep on learning!

WARNING: There is a small amount of NSFW (nudity) drawings and paintings in this thread.

Ok, so I've been a longtime lurker on these forums, but I've only just recently felt good enough about my work to start posting here. I know that's not the right mentality.. so it's time to break that! I want to keep improving, keep learning, keep chugging along! I would really appreciate any comments, criticisms (please be harsh if you have some good criticism), praise, anything. I'll do my best to update often, so please stop by again! Thanks!

A little about me: My name is Tyler and I just turned 26. Just prior to getting really into art and design, I worked professionally as an engineer in California for 4 years. I actually went to UC Berkeley and graduated as an engineer, so art was not even on my radar. Suddenly, it hit me. I don't want to look at spread sheets and math all day! I want to draw... design... paint... and I want to do it in the entertainment field. I got obsessed and just devoured all the online tutorials I could find. I also found some really great schools in my area, so I completely quit my job (a pretty good one too), and started taking up classes full time. I'm currently about 6 months into learning about art, design and how the entertainment industry works and I absolutely love it.

Anyways... I've delayed long enough. Here's some of my recent stuff!

Some studies from photos...

Name:  Study2.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  459.2 KBName:  Study3.2.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  223.9 KBName:  Study4.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  306.6 KB

These are paintings I'm doing for a game concept I'm working on, involving an insane asylum. Going for creepy, moody, cold stuff. The studies from earlier were to help me pull these off.

Name:  Asylum_Extsnow.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  402.9 KBName:  Asylum_Ext2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  471.1 KB

Here are some pages from my animal drawings sketchbook:

Name:  tn_IMG_7924.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  234.9 KBName:  tn_IMG_7923.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  250.9 KBName:  tn_IMG_7921.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  245.4 KBName:  tn_IMG_7920.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  258.1 KBName:  tn_IMG_7919.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  268.6 KBName:  tn_IMG_7918.JPG
Size:  236.3 KBName:  tn_IMG_7925.JPG
Size:  236.8 KB

I do a lot of on-site sketching... these are some tone paper sketches from an aquarium I visited:

Name:  001 (6).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  458.4 KBName:  001 (5).jpg
Views: 257
Size:  407.8 KBName:  001 (4).jpg
Size:  401.2 KBName:  001 (3).jpg
Views: 263
Size:  472.3 KBName:  CarnKrill 001.jpg
Size:  407.5 KB

And last, but not least, some fan art

Name:  snowspeeder 001.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  401.8 KBName:  tn_Godzilla.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  276.9 KB

Whew! Ok, sorry about the huge dump of stuff... I actually have a LOT more but I think this is enough for an introductory post! I'll be updating often... I hope to gain more motivation through this thread! Please drop a comment if you like (or don't like) what you see.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by tclore.art; November 15th, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice start man, love the on site sketches, one thing though, I think you should have a little look over the perspective in the asylum piece as parts of it seem a little off, mainly
    the clock tower. Also the shadows you've used on the side of the main building and clock tower in the second version seem a little too dark for me, they would probably still be catching some reflected light from the rocks and stuff. Anyways, great work so far, and just keep on posting .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice animal drawings. Did you take classes at CDA for Vis Comm? I can see the influence there I think pretty much every art student in South Cali has drawn those crabs too , haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by will123will View Post
    Hey nice start man, love the on site sketches, one thing though, I think you should have a little look over the perspective in the asylum piece as parts of it seem a little off, mainly
    the clock tower. Also the shadows you've used on the side of the main building and clock tower in the second version seem a little too dark for me, they would probably still be catching some reflected light from the rocks and stuff. Anyways, great work so far, and just keep on posting .
    I think you're absolutely right. I'll check those things out. Perspective has always been a constant battle for me... I know the rules, I know the tricks, but for some reason, while I'm painting of drawing, I'm too lazy to use it! I end up just eyeballing everything. Thanks!

Medelo
    Nice animal drawings. Did you take classes at CDA for Vis Comm? I can see the influence there I think pretty much every art student in South Cali has drawn those crabs too , haha.
    Yup, I took that class! It was the Vis Comm class at CDA with Peter Han. A great class.. have you taken it too?

Here's some more stuff:

More on-site sketches of crabs... marker work done at home

Name:  001 (5).jpg
Views: 139
Size:  475.5 KB

These are some character roughs I'm doing for the Asylum Project I mentioned earlier. At this stage, I'm just trying to discover her personality and attitude... is she confident? scared? vulnerable? sad? I used this 'dramatic lighting' method of sketching them after Anthony Jones showed me how. I also felt like it was a good method as it fit the overall "creepiness" mood that is related to the project. I was purposely trying not to get into the interior details... just work on the overall appearance and silhouette.

Name:  Pheo_Thumbs.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  376.4 KB

Studies of scary stuff from some of my favorite artists:

Name:  AJStudies (2).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  330.8 KBName:  AJStudies (3).jpg
Views: 139
Size:  456.0 KBName:  JChanStudy copy.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  194.5 KBName:  Khangcreepystudy copy.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  214.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Study study study...

Name:  Study1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  455.5 KBName:  AJStudies (4).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  362.5 KBName:  AJStudies.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  403.6 KB

Personal concept

Name:  FatGoth.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  309.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow your preface about switching careers is really inspiring and reassuring to me thanks and holy crap you learned all this in 6 months? BOOKMARKED! you mentioned that you've learned at classes and specific instructors but were there any other sources for learning how to draw/paint those imaginary and real animals as well as your technological concept? for your asylum environment, will you ever add a statue perhaps looming over and giving an unnerving feel to the viewer? sorry for so many questions last one! would you say any of your engineering study and knowledge helps you with your art development? thanks, sorry for lacking any criticism i do not feel in place as i am not at your skill level

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UniversalDDBB View Post
    wow your preface about switching careers is really inspiring and reassuring to me thanks and holy crap you learned all this in 6 months? BOOKMARKED! you mentioned that you've learned at classes and specific instructors but were there any other sources for learning how to draw/paint those imaginary and real animals as well as your technological concept? for your asylum environment, will you ever add a statue perhaps looming over and giving an unnerving feel to the viewer? sorry for so many questions last one! would you say any of your engineering study and knowledge helps you with your art development? thanks, sorry for lacking any criticism i do not feel in place as i am not at your skill level
    Thanks so much for the compliments but I still have a long way to go!

- Besides classes, I think the thing that has helped me improve is to just do a lot LOT of studies. Keep drawing and painting! I also watch youtube and gnomon tutorial videos, so those are pretty good.

- As far the creative concepts go... I think I've always been fairly creative. When I was younger, I liked to invent my own pokemon and monsters and stuff. I gave them stats and moves and everything.

- Thanks for the statue idea! That sounds great. I'll try to do something like that.

- I don't think my engineering background has really benefited my actual drawing and painting much.. but it has helped me gain maturity and I think it also helped me really figure out how things really work. Functional design is the best, and my engineering background helps with that (I hope...).

I fixed the portrait from earlier.. and here's another:

Name:  Study1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  289.1 KBName:  Study2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  281.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update:

Trying to figure out if I like doing line drawings first or just paint... Line drawings are hard for me

Name:  PheoPortrait.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  357.0 KBName:  Study3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  328.6 KBName:  Study4.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  356.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update!

Reworked some of the art for my project... and other random doodles:

Name:  Asylum_Extsnow.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  408.7 KBName:  PheoHeads.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  206.4 KBName:  PheoPortrait2.1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  302.0 KBName:  Quicksketch.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  361.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update:

I've been working really hard on these character designs, each one takes me a really long time. I hope I can get faster over time!

Name:  PheoCostumes.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  390.9 KB

A painting using acrylic that I did in Gary Meyer's painting class:

Name:  IMG_7931-2tn.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  443.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update! Some studies from photos, frontal drawings of my character costumes, and a forest doodle with a giant guinea pig!

Name:  Study6.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  340.4 KBName:  Study51.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  296.0 KBName:  PheoCostumes3tn.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  300.8 KBName:  woodsVitn.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  337.7 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it going man, you can do it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew! Finally, the culmination of a lot of hard work I've been putting into my Intro to Entertainment design Class.

Name:  tn_0Coversheet.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  405.4 KBName:  tn_1TemplateEnvExt.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  427.9 KBName:  tn_2TemplateEnv.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  521.5 KBName:  tn_3TemplateChaar.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  429.0 KBName:  tn_3TTemplateChaar.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  478.6 KBName:  tn_4TemplateChar.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  512.6 KBName:  tn_6TemplateChar.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  423.4 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tclore.art For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.