Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.

    Hi, I would like some ideas for setting up still lifes at home, in order to learn color. My problem is that I have had no formal guidance with regards to this.

    For example, what kind of light source should I use? Fluorescent? Normal? How close should the light be? What kind of light source do you guys use? How bright should the bulb be? Should I use a certain color cloth for the background? Blue? Red? beige? I just want to know the background elements to a good still life setup, other than the still-life objects themselves, although that would be great too.

    I'm planning to have my still-life setup on a small table near my computer. I was considering on constructing a small backdrop as well, so I can better focus on the object without having anything behind it distract me.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    519
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 146 Times in 97 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I wasn't aware that there were rules for these things in the first place.

    Lighting? That depends on what kind of mood you want, why would there be just one type of setup?

    Anyway, I think the key would be to do all of the above, have as much different shit as possible.

    Also, the bulb should be bright enough to see what you are drawing

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I work best with some structure, so I was asking for advice from any artists who are well-experienced with doing still lifes to provide me a path I can feel confident about stepping on. I know there are no hard and fast rules.

    and "as much different shit as possible" just gives me a lot of choices. Which, with the paradox of choice, sometimes feels like no choice at all.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    618
    Thanked 445 Times in 245 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I usually try to go for this:

    - consistent lighting that won't change, or change only minimally as you paint

    - canvas/paper and still life setup about the same height, parallel to each other

    - enough space in front of canvas and still life so you can step back 2-3 meters and compare, good for sight-size comparing if that's what you want to do

    - no cats in the room that make you trip as you walk back and forth from canvas, totally absorbed in the process.

    Now have fun and paint

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #5
    Elwell's Avatar
    Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tentativesteps View Post
    For example, what kind of light source should I use? Fluorescent? Normal? How close should the light be? What kind of light source do you guys use? How bright should the bulb be? Should I use a certain color cloth for the background? Blue? Red? beige? I just want to know the background elements to a good still life setup, other than the still-life objects themselves, although that would be great too.
    You do realize you're not going to be doing just one drawing ever, right? You could always, you know, try different stuff yourself?

    EDIT: Just saw your username. Well then. Might want to go into things with a slightly different attitude.

    EDIT 2: Checked out your sketchbook. It's good. Stop worrying and making excuses and draw more.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, US
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 260 Times in 129 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tentativesteps View Post
    Hi, I would like some ideas for setting up still lifes at home, in order to learn color. My problem is that I have had no formal guidance with regards to this.
    I always thought that creativity was a vital, or at least useful, characteristic of being an artist.

    –EXPERIMENT–

    Artists worth their salt are self-starters.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    You do realize you're not going to be doing just one drawing ever, right? You could always, you know, try different stuff yourself?

    EDIT: Just saw your username. Well then. Might want to go into things with a slightly different attitude.

    EDIT 2: Checked out your sketchbook. It's good. Stop worrying and making excuses and draw more.
    sorry. I've always liked to 'know everything' before I do something, even when that's not entirely possible. To know as much as you can before doing it? and I am not making excuses! I am most definitely drawing Thanks for looking at my sketchbook.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    I usually try to go for this:

    - consistent lighting that won't change, or change only minimally as you paint

    - canvas/paper and still life setup about the same height, parallel to each other

    - enough space in front of canvas and still life so you can step back 2-3 meters and compare, good for sight-size comparing if that's what you want to do

    - no cats in the room that make you trip as you walk back and forth from canvas, totally absorbed in the process.

    Now have fun and paint
    thank you for the advice. this is kind of what I needed. I feel like everyone else is kind of yelling at me to just DO, but I feel overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. It helps a lot when I have a semblance of an idea of what DO is, other than the drawing/color part.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #8
    Elwell's Avatar
    Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Don't worry about doing things "wrong." You're not going to break yourself. At this point, you know so little, that most of what you do is going to be wrong in some way, and that's OK.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 690 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    EDIT 2: Checked out your sketchbook. It's good. Stop worrying and making excuses and draw more.
    How on earth did you manage to find the OP's sketchbook? He seems to go to some lengths to prevent anyone from seeing it.

    ____________________________________________
    My sketchbook thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ight=blogmatix
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    How on earth did you manage to find the OP's sketchbook? He seems to go to some lengths to prevent anyone from seeing it.
    Heh, its the only other thread the OP made.

    Tentative, you should think about putting the link to your SB in your signature. Good way for it to get people to drop by and give advice.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Heh, its the only other thread the OP made.

    Tentative, you should think about putting the link to your SB in your signature. Good way for it to get people to drop by and give advice.
    okay, I think I added it to my signature now.

    Sketchbook since 2012. Hop on over!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sacramento ca,
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    i'm just randomly asking how do you get your sketch book link to say sketchbook?lol

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    i'm just randomly asking how do you get your sketch book link to say sketchbook?lol
    type sketchbook, then select it and click the URL link button thing. Then input your url. then it works

    Sketchbook since 2012. Hop on over!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Something that I like doing a lot is put half of the object on shadow, is great to learn about how colours react on shadow or light. I believe that from that you can have more ideas for setups.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #15
    dpaint's Avatar
    dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,648
    Thanks
    2,622
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    When working indoors instead of outside create a shadow box for your setup. It will give you the ability to make more interesting lighting effects. A shadow box is just a box where you remove two of the sides. I put a cloth over mine but you can see it in the photo below. I also like to setup a block for the light source I'm going to draw or paint with (this is separate from the light on your still life) and I sometimes add a fill card for bouncing some reflected light back into the scene.

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:


Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •