Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Home set-ups for still lifes? Newbie here.

Hi, I would like some ideas for setting up still lifes at home, in order to learn color. My problem is that I have had no formal guidance with regards to this.

For example, what kind of light source should I use? Fluorescent? Normal? How close should the light be? What kind of light source do you guys use? How bright should the bulb be? Should I use a certain color cloth for the background? Blue? Red? beige? I just want to know the background elements to a good still life setup, other than the still-life objects themselves, although that would be great too.

I'm planning to have my still-life setup on a small table near my computer. I was considering on constructing a small backdrop as well, so I can better focus on the object without having anything behind it distract me.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't aware that there were rules for these things in the first place.

Lighting? That depends on what kind of mood you want, why would there be just one type of setup?

Anyway, I think the key would be to do all of the above, have as much different shit as possible.

Also, the bulb should be bright enough to see what you are drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work best with some structure, so I was asking for advice from any artists who are well-experienced with doing still lifes to provide me a path I can feel confident about stepping on. I know there are no hard and fast rules.

and "as much different shit as possible" just gives me a lot of choices. Which, with the paradox of choice, sometimes feels like no choice at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually try to go for this:

- consistent lighting that won't change, or change only minimally as you paint

- canvas/paper and still life setup about the same height, parallel to each other

- enough space in front of canvas and still life so you can step back 2-3 meters and compare, good for sight-size comparing if that's what you want to do

- no cats in the room that make you trip as you walk back and forth from canvas, totally absorbed in the process.

Now have fun and paint

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tentativesteps View Post
    For example, what kind of light source should I use? Fluorescent? Normal? How close should the light be? What kind of light source do you guys use? How bright should the bulb be? Should I use a certain color cloth for the background? Blue? Red? beige? I just want to know the background elements to a good still life setup, other than the still-life objects themselves, although that would be great too.
    You do realize you're not going to be doing just one drawing ever, right? You could always, you know, try different stuff yourself?

EDIT: Just saw your username. Well then. Might want to go into things with a slightly different attitude.

EDIT 2: Checked out your sketchbook. It's good. Stop worrying and making excuses and draw more.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tentativesteps View Post
    Hi, I would like some ideas for setting up still lifes at home, in order to learn color. My problem is that I have had no formal guidance with regards to this.
    I always thought that creativity was a vital, or at least useful, characteristic of being an artist.

–EXPERIMENT–

Artists worth their salt are self-starters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    You do realize you're not going to be doing just one drawing ever, right? You could always, you know, try different stuff yourself?

EDIT: Just saw your username. Well then. Might want to go into things with a slightly different attitude.

EDIT 2: Checked out your sketchbook. It's good. Stop worrying and making excuses and draw more.
    sorry. I've always liked to 'know everything' before I do something, even when that's not entirely possible. To know as much as you can before doing it? and I am not making excuses! I am most definitely drawing Thanks for looking at my sketchbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Maidith View Post
    I usually try to go for this:

- consistent lighting that won't change, or change only minimally as you paint

- canvas/paper and still life setup about the same height, parallel to each other

- enough space in front of canvas and still life so you can step back 2-3 meters and compare, good for sight-size comparing if that's what you want to do

- no cats in the room that make you trip as you walk back and forth from canvas, totally absorbed in the process.

Now have fun and paint
    thank you for the advice. this is kind of what I needed. I feel like everyone else is kind of yelling at me to just DO, but I feel overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. It helps a lot when I have a semblance of an idea of what DO is, other than the drawing/color part.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about doing things "wrong." You're not going to break yourself. At this point, you know so little, that most of what you do is going to be wrong in some way, and that's OK.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    How on earth did you manage to find the OP's sketchbook? He seems to go to some lengths to prevent anyone from seeing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    How on earth did you manage to find the OP's sketchbook? He seems to go to some lengths to prevent anyone from seeing it.
    Heh, its the only other thread the OP made.

Tentative, you should think about putting the link to your SB in your signature. Good way for it to get people to drop by and give advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Heh, its the only other thread the OP made.

Tentative, you should think about putting the link to your SB in your signature. Good way for it to get people to drop by and give advice.
    okay, I think I added it to my signature now.

Sketchbook since 2012. Hop on over!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm just randomly asking how do you get your sketch book link to say sketchbook?lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    i'm just randomly asking how do you get your sketch book link to say sketchbook?lol
    type sketchbook, then select it and click the URL link button thing. Then input your url. then it works

Sketchbook since 2012. Hop on over!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something that I like doing a lot is put half of the object on shadow, is great to learn about how colours react on shadow or light. I believe that from that you can have more ideas for setups.

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When working indoors instead of outside create a shadow box for your setup. It will give you the ability to make more interesting lighting effects. A shadow box is just a box where you remove two of the sides. I put a cloth over mine but you can see it in the photo below. I also like to setup a block for the light source I'm going to draw or paint with (this is separate from the light on your still life) and I sometimes add a fill card for bouncing some reflected light back into the scene.

Attached Images Attached Images  

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.