Sketchbook: Sketching book, please critique!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Sketching book, please critique!

Hi, I haven't been on here in a long time but have been making an effort to keep painting. To help that along, I'm starting a new sketchbook and will try my best to work at it regularly. I would like constructive criticism if you don't mind and will do my best to give good criticism back. Thanks for stopping by!

D

- this post - the two on brown were freehand with no ref, pushing myself to work more conceptually, around 3 hours for both. The girl feels stiff to me and i can't figure out what the hell is wrong with the pants. fabric is hard, this was a good challenge for me. the black and white one is from ref and is a work in progress im stuck on, about 5 hours in maybe?

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond_king View Post
    The girl feels stiff to me and i can't figure out what the hell is wrong with the pants.
    She feels stiff because pose is so stiff. For example, the arms are stuck right at her sides, perhaps you should've given a little air between the arms and the body: that way you would've been able to show her figure better as well. Right now it just seems a tad... monotone. The chest, stomach, hips, thighs, they all feel like they're about the same thickness. Also, I notice you kind of rushed the hands, so they're kind of off in terms of anathomy (pinkie being the longest finger for example). Perhaps you should do some hand studies next?

Regarding the black and white study... that's a good one. You've done the lighting-value-form stuff very well in that one, in my humble opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wuggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    that last one i really liked man, my suggestion to work on fabrics is really to just reference lots of different styles of clothes from fahion sites or the sort, little by little you start to understand the anatomy of folds and eventually they do help you emphasize something in the drawing, i use www.thesartorialist.com but there are alot of places you can get fashion ref photos, good luck and keep on practicing your values are really good

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog
    My website
    #Bestyear

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

UPDATED 2014

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartGFX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  girl_study1b.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  280.1 KB

Heres another one Ive been working on. I kinda let it drop so maybe posting it will help motivate me to finish it. Hair needs a lot of work still. ~ 6-7 hours so far. I have a hard time focusing longer then this and a harder time finishing stuff.

Thanks
    Name:  gesturesNov17_12.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  66.0 KBName:  vest_under_coat.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  54.6 KB
    some 1 minute gestures and a WIP sourced from The Sartorialist http://images.thesartorialist.com/th..._9708Web11.jpg

I started doing some clothing studies and got carried away. Hopefully if I post on here it'll help motivate me to finish it. Its a good challenge with multiple types of cloth, each with a different texture and form.

Thanks
    Looking good, I really like the bottom left woman in the 1 minute sketches; you managed to give her action and a little personality with minimal line work. As for the clothing study, don't get too caught up in showing every little line and fold. Especially around the crotch area of pants, less is better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowbot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Nov18_12gestures.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  94.1 KBName:  vest_under_coat02.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  78.2 KB
    todays gestures and an update on the last guy. coming along still a long way to go. thanks for feedback everyone its helpful and motivating. On a fabric kick now, fashion blogs turn out to be good for gestures as the clothes have such specific and aggressive lines.

Thanks
    Name:  thumbsheet.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  70.8 KBName:  girl2.jpg
Size:  212.0 KBName:  orphin.jpg
Size:  94.0 KBName:  yellowlake.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  366.7 KB

been busy last month, haven't gotten much done. Did a landscape and some early concepts for an idea im working on. am happy to get feedback and criticism, thanks.

d

Thanks
    Hi, I think your Yellow Lake sketch has a nice mood to it. The girl in post #4 needs her eye made much, much larger. To avoid stiff poses, why not draw people in motion and save the static poses for after you've figured out how to breathe some life into some more lively poses?

It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

My sketchbook (it'll get good near the end)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.