Art: Drawing with easel
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Drawing with easel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawing with easel

I set up a shadow box with a singular light source on a cast to draw and am sitting about 3 feet in front with an easel almost vertical. First a started drawing with an overhand pencil position and everything was okay. When I switched to a regular writing position to shade and get details my arm, shoulder, neck and shoulder blades starting hurting due to the awkward position of my body in the this drawing position. If I were to get an easel that can tilt forward more, will that affect my drawings at all? (i.e. distortions due to not drawing on the same plane?)

Thanks!

Here's a look at my setup...Name:  cast drawing.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  74.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An H-Frame easel would stand vertical and may be easier to keep the planes straight because of that. Beyond that I'm not sure, it's all I have experience with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolbenito View Post
    An H-Frame easel would stand vertical and may be easier to keep the planes straight because of that. Beyond that I'm not sure, it's all I have experience with.
    Thanks for the reply... my main concern was not if I could keep it vertical but if I could tilt it downward almost like a drafting table and look up at the cast as I am drawing to keep the aches and pains in my should arm and back to a minimum. I was thinking that that drawing position might cause distortion in my work but now that I think about it it really shouldn't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi brimacx.

You´re not working Sight Size - right?
    I think this shouldn´t be a problem. When you lower your head to draw, your head will - hopefully be - parallel to the drawing board. When you lift your head to look at the cast, your head will be parallel to the cast axis. I don´t see a problem here. Especially since you´ve already made the measurements.

A different thing would be if you tried to draw it standing and the drawing board would not be parallel to the cast and you would not incline the head. But this is not the case here.

Unfortunately your picture is very blurry - it´s enough to give us an impression related to your question but may I ask to show a better picture of the cast and your setup? Just for personal interest.

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Bjoern, No I'm not doing sight-size...although I plan on starting the Bargue course when I get the book in a few days.

What you say makes perfect sense - I've heard the same thing from a few different sources so I will be getting a convertible easel and will start working at a more comfortable angle.

I took a picture with my iphone and turned off the light source on the cast so it wouldn't get blown out again...

Name:  IMG_0717.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  213.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the new shot.

If you´re on a budget, take a look at this DIY easel

EDIT: sorry - forgot the link
    http://bengrosser.com/easel/

Last edited by bjoern3000; November 20th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Members who have read this thread: 1