plesiosaur WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: plesiosaur WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

plesiosaur WIP

Hi,

Here is my current WIP. Please crit / offer suggestions. Due to various commitments I've not been able to start a new picture for months...

I want to hold off adding detail and textures too soon (I always manage to focus on a small part of the picture before I have the overall form down well enough), and the water is very undefined at the moment. I intend to add more splash to indicate the plesiosaur bursting out of the water, and to use the ripples to bring the eye back to the focus of the picture. I still need to add more atmospheric perspective to make the head jump out of the picture in the way I hope it will.

Name:  draft1.png
Views: 790
Size:  338.5 KB]

As always, thank you for looking,

Chris.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The angle of the small fish seems odd to me. Also, I’m not up to date on fish-jump-height records or anything, but it does seem pretty high for a fish to jump. For the dino, I think I’d mess with some more extreme perspective. If it weren’t for the boat, I wouldn’t think it was actually reaching too far out of the water.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you David! I was meaning for the fish to be thrown up by the plesiosaur rather than to appear to be jumping. I'll have to play around with it a bit :o) I agree about the perspective. The difficulty I was having when thumbnailing was that having the head too "face on" meant it was not clear what was happening. I have a few ideas about how to tackle that so hopefully the next update will appear to be more cohesive :o)

Members who have read this thread: 1