Thread: 'Khaleesi' WIP thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

'Khaleesi' WIP thread

Name:  dany progress large2.png
Views: 1014
Size:  897.3 KB

Starting a new painting of Daenerys Targaryen from the series A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm calling this an underpainting just because so far I'm mostly just concerned with establishing value and overall structure; I anticipate changing up the colors as I go along...also, I haven't even painted over the lines yet, haha. Letting this rest for a bit and get some crit before I move on to painting.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks OK to me.

My only thought is that unless your intent was to paint a portrait of the horse with some other figures around the edges, you might want to crop it a bit tighter to the girl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there love ur sketch .... u were askin abt basic value ...atm the bald guy behind the girl looks lik a drawf riding with the girl ( I am not sure if thtts the case :p) and all of ur chracters hav similar value structure usually characters in the foreground hav darker value and more saturation and the moving horses are gonna kick up some dust ... which can be used to seperate the horses effectively and a top left sun is gonna make the sky more brighter there so i did a PO Hope it helps ..disregard it if it doesnt help ...Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't say I know much about composition but I'd agree with Giacomo and Giby about the horse and the guy behind her. I think I spot a tangent with the white horse's lip and the brown horse's rump, too.

On the subject of the white horse (Silver, innit?): I think the borders of the image are throwing me off, but something seems a bit odd about the shoulders. Neck, blade and muscles don't seem to be lining up or shadows aren't falling in the right places, and it's difficult to tell where the horse's shoulders actually are, and how thick the neck is.
    And to nitpick a few other things: the brow/eyeline seems a little too horizontal, laterally; the eyes not lateral enough - too forward-facing, with a bit of a human impression about them; the back of the skull may be a few hairs too wide (or the ears may be a little too spaced); and the face too sloped and wedge-shaped (IMO the snout needs to be a little straighter, and it needs more chin and cheek).

I like where you're going with this, though. I'm looking forward to see what you do with it.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it... espcially the colors.

but you got a lot of tangents happening there...
    Name:  Sapphirelullaby-khaleesi-01.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  104.8 KB

im also bothered by the elongated horse backs, and the riders position. also the saddles dont make a lot of sense.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, I think you should put in some research for saddle positions and also horse/rider proportions. The man on the left looks all right although he seems to be riding into the frame - but either Dany is extremely tiny or the silver extremely large. As a rule of thumb, a horse's head is about twice as big as the rider's. Definitely enlarge Daenerys. The horse's face structure needs some work too. The far eye wouldn't be showing, and the nose looks slightly stunted in yours.

Look - even a Frisian (reaaaally large breed) doesn't dwarf his rider like that.

The saddles in your image are too close to the withers - in the photo of the Frisian above, it looks a bit like in yours, but the withers of a Frisian are actually massive, so I'd move yours back a bit.

Horses are a beast. Literally. I struggle with them too.

Just found a cool thread on horse/rider proportions: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=421813

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoldSeven For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is it me or does the muzzle on the white horse look too small in length?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start!
    Where's your focal point? Where should the viewer look at? Remember that not only objects, color and shapes lead the viewer but also people that point or intensivley look at places.
    Right now I first look at the horse, then the red saddle, to the girl and then I follow her dramatic gaze and read your join date and your post number and then I contemplate about a weird scratch on the edge of my monitor.

(also the horse anatomy, the horses head is really strange. But the animal is not so important when it's hard to stay focused on the picture because everything points that I should look at the corner there).

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just seconding GoldSeven's comments about the horse proportions. Get some good ref. In addition to the size issues, there are some serious problems with the head: too much forehead, small ears, eyes too forward facing, muzzle all wrong, etc. Dani and the dragon look really good, but nobody's going to notice them with that giant mutant horse creature taking up most of the picture.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to add a thanks to Goldseven for that link. I'm reading it now and have it bookmarked. Nice one. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.