Digital and traditional art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Digital and traditional art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital and traditional art

Okay don't get me wrong i love both but i honestly go for the traditional like i have met people who are amazing at digital but can't do anything traditional while traditional i have met some who can't digital now here is the question do you have to have experience in digital only to get art jobs? or can you get one for just traditional? or can you use both of these talents? or do you have to choose one? o.o

My pencil hold a gun to my head and says "Draw bitch draw"
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-My-sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People had art jobs way before Photoshop was invented. It's not a question of digital or traditional as it is just having good image making skills. It's upto the artist how the skills are applied.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why the hell would you have to choose one? Nobody cares how you make a picture, all they care about is the end result and does it work for the job. You might need to deliver a final in a specific digital format depending on the job, but hey, that's what scanners are for.

Heck, you can mix traditional and digital in the same picture if you want. It's not an either/or thing.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to be know how to communicate clearly with images. Everything else is just tools.

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, you don't need to learn digital if you're a traditional artist, or traditional media if you're a digital artist.

BUT it always helps to know basic Photoshop skills for when you need to scan, color correct, clean up, crop, or print your work.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well it helps to learn how to draw. The most unobtrusive way so far leans towards traditional, since pencil and paper are easily accessible.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Why the hell would you have to choose one? Nobody cares how you make a picture, all they care about is the end result and does it work for the job. You might need to deliver a final in a specific digital format depending on the job, but hey, that's what scanners are for.

Heck, you can mix traditional and digital in the same picture if you want. It's not an either/or thing.
    That's all it really seems to boil down to. "Does it look nice?" and "Does it work?"

Mixing traditional and digital seems to be fairly simple these days. You can just scan your work, such as line art, and then just add color and adjustments on a separate layer in Photoshop.
    I've also seen some do all their line art digitally, print it out, and then use traditional methods like water coloring to finish.

Example: around 2:30 is when he starts to add a gray wash

Last edited by AK_Guerrero; November 15th, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Sketchbook
    (updated April 19, 2014)

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthesketcher View Post
    Okay don't get me wrong i love both but i honestly go for the traditional like i have met people who are amazing at digital but can't do anything traditional while traditional i have met some who can't digital now here is the question do you have to have experience in digital only to get art jobs? or can you get one for just traditional? or can you use both of these talents? or do you have to choose one? o.o
    Quote Originally Posted by Januz View Post
    You have to be know how to communicate clearly with images.
    And words too. Please please please for the love of jesus mary joseph all thats holy learn how to use punctuation so your sentences dont read like the ramblings of a crazy person and its possible to actually figure out what your point is without being lost in and endless run on sentence ok thanks so much bye

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.