Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Sketchbook of Naj & Stu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick studies.. damn slacking

Attached Images Attached Images    
    What is the true value of a painting?, it is not it's price but the light it takes to create it

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Client enviro concept about 4-5hr damn suck at enviiros...need to do more studies. Surprisingly got it done today though alongside other work, cool to know these studies are paying off

What is the true value of a painting?, it is not it's price but the light it takes to create it

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketch for chow infected scientist. not happy with this but well see what happens

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick morning practice.. i thought i was half decent with linework.. terribly wrong lol

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another enviro done today, around 4-5 hr.. getting a little faster and more streamlined with the painting but damn still suck so much >.<

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Random sketcharoo half hr

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to upload this, not just for the sake of the drawing, nor for the sake of filling up the sketchbook.. not to gloat neither.. but it was just to illustrate a new method of draiwng im starting up.. angry and happy at the same time ive found this new style as it has sped up my process profoundly and sad that i didnt know it ages ago..

ok this is a rubbish drawing but it took me seconds to a minute still.. i know its more of a concept design style of drawing, i wonder if i can apply it to illustrative use aswell. Or paint with it.. With this i have done 11 pages of a4 on a sketchpad that took about a couple hours of linedrawing practice, that in one session has completely changed thewhole ball game of drawing for me.

On a last note, its just amazing how we can adapt ourselves and learn. Self tuition can be dread sometimes..

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these colours are done VERY well, i especially like how you have made many of these vibrant, but still npt close to any cartoony colours. keep up the good work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to idenzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Najmul, the last two paintings are showing a lot of improvement and some pretty cool design. Couple of things, one i think you could do with some specific textural studies, as i notice that a lot of your surfaces are made up of gestures that are all the same size and touch. For example in the last landscape the mountains in the background are made up of similar shapes to the mid and foreground. Also your water rendering could do with some more observation (It's a pain in the arse studying and rendering water, but when you do it'll really help your work). The golden thing is pretty cool as well, but again could do with some reference. Try imaging a dark object off screen to the right (say), then try to reflect that back into the armor, when you see shiny metal there are all kinds of dark's next to not spots giving it a shiny feel. Scott Robertson has a lot of information on reflections, hunt around on his blog and you may find some cool stuff. Keep it up!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Denzel thanks a lot bro, i reallydo need to practice the subtety of colours and use more neutrals, i have always exaggerated colour a bit too much :/

@Chris Sanders, wow thanks for the crit bro, its my first proper one here so far! Yep cant get enough of textural studies, water being definitely important, ill do some today! Yeah totally right with that shapes and surface being made up of similar shapes, i really need to switch things up, idk how to study that except through real life studies, master copies?

Ahh yeah that gold thing was a super quicky, shoulda got some ref for it your right. Might have to do a similar sketch later on with your points in mind, and i will defo look around for the blog, thamks a lot bro! Totally appreciate it!

And great sketchbook yourself, keep on rocking!

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's the new sketch process you've come up? How's it done, I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mornign hampton studies

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wai! >.< you guys are doing great! the armor with a mask on the upperarm and the dude shaped building at the desert are my personal favs, keep rocking on.

ps: i'd sell my soul to the devil for half of your linework.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jamsession For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some river studies

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrenik View Post
    What's the new sketch process you've come up? How's it done, I mean.
    Im glad you asked, i was hoping to leave it hanging so i get some more interaction on this oh so lonesome sketchbook ha

It all started awhile back when i gave up drawing with three fingers holiding the pen/stylus. More fingers on the stylus the more control you have. Also one master animator (whose name i damned forgot) said during his long 999 year career in animation where the dude draws 9999 frames for the blink of an eye lol, people would get wrist hand injuries, he avoided this with the 4 fingered grip. So i started this, and it was easy to adjust to.. about a couple weeks practice and you wont go back.

Not sure if it was before or after where i stopped wrist drawing to a degree and tried to draw solely from the shoulder, even on tiny sketchpads, i found that this also helped with speed once youve gotten used to it.

But this is where it goes hardcore. I was looking around for some linework practice right, i think it was Peter Hans line practice tutorial over at CGMA workshops. And dude would push students to do the earlier lineart practice on sketchpads right holding the pen upright, having it balanced under the forefingers knuckle rather than the cusion between the thumb n forefinger. Believe me bro, practice this daily and you will drastically change your drawing. The problem is applying it to the wacom stylus, though im gonna go for it n see how it goes, i think if you were to zoom in enough the larger span of scaled distance will make it easier for accurate lines, whereas it can be easy to just resort to wrist drawing for small distances of linestrokes which i would suggest to avoid at all costs.

One thing i have grown to appreciate more and more, is Feng Zhu, there are 999 other artists that produce much more rendered and realistic work etc, but he uses the simplist technique but done in the most skillful way.

This drawing method is for speed, im not sure how it will far with tonal drawings, though it should still work with hatching i think. Try it n gimme a shout on your progress.

Last night, i drew one spacesuit design like 2 third of the body which had significant detail right, i know before practising this, it would have took me aaages, but it literally took minutes now. This is probably all old news but man i didnt have a clue.,

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    20 min speeds inspiration from brad wright.. for some reason i thoght his name was barry white and that stuck ion my head.. lol whose barry white?

Totallying over 3 hours, but have been on and off with them though i did generally stick to constraints per thumb.. also had another revelation whilst working on em and changed a lot of stuff.. big movements yippeekaayaay!

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these quick setting pictures are really pretty, i especially like the lively colours. your good, haha

21. The Following User Says Thank You to idenzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some wips of current work, crits woudl be aawesome.. i know my i need to work on establishing forms in enviros, and use larger brushstrokes >.<

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Najmul View Post
    @Denzel thanks a lot bro, i reallydo need to practice the subtety of colours and use more neutrals, i have always exaggerated colour a bit too much :/

@Chris Sanders, wow thanks for the crit bro, its my first proper one here so far! Yep cant get enough of textural studies, water being definitely important, ill do some today! Yeah totally right with that shapes and surface being made up of similar shapes, i really need to switch things up, idk how to study that except through real life studies, master copies?

Ahh yeah that gold thing was a super quicky, shoulda got some ref for it your right. Might have to do a similar sketch later on with your points in mind, and i will defo look around for the blog, thamks a lot bro! Totally appreciate it!

And great sketchbook yourself, keep on rocking!
    Hey man,

Yeah for water - obviously going out and studying is great, but if you don't have time just try and work out whats going on when walking past. I heard an invaluable bit of advice from a tutorial (can't remember where) but it was about when you can't draw you should be looking and observing light and form and colour and all that stuff, because essentially all that your doing when you study is looking and trying to replicate it, so if you can observe when your out and about your kind of still half studying studying. I find myself daydreaming and trying to build stuff in sections, and working out how to plot reflections and cast shadows for what i'm seeing when I'm away from my desk. What i'm trying to get at is if you see an interesting texture or lighting set up, try and record it and remember it anyway you can, even if it's just keeping it in the back of your mind, then pull from it when your painting form your head. I think thats the key to imaginative painting without reference. If that makes sense.
    master copies are also great from time to time, also get yourself a good perspective book, a lot of rules of setting up reflections will give your good insight into how reflections work in perspective, invaluable for rendering just about anything, but especially water! Hope that made some vague sense!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This new dfrawiong m,ethod dfefinitely creepin up on me.. thought still not finding it comfortable on the wacom.. its all about mileage i guess..

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help man, yeah i think i do find myself thinking like that.. the problem is i thiunk more like that than imaginitve in the sense of creative ideas and design these days, which i hope wont last as its the ideas that are the unique selling point. conceptually anyhow.

Ah i really to study perspective in depth, its the only area where ive just kinda half jumbled up from doing the rest of the studies with it in mind without solely focusing on it for the sake of it.

If you have any useful links or tips hit me up on that one!

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays thumbnail grind

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I've just posted something similar, will probably help you as well. "I've looked at Perspective made easy and basic perspective drawing: a visual guide, also checked out anything with Scott Robertson on it, and the Gary Meyer videos on Gnomon, and the Carl Dobsky videos on TAD."

Honestly perspective is probably the most important thing you'll ever learn, a lot of artists think they don't need it, but it really separates pro's from hobbyists. Keep working hard man!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did it up till rougholy this point and lostthe save file and had to redo it again.. bah think ill leave this as is n move on

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a good idea but I suggest the art in post 54 could use some more work I see a lot of potential in it dont give up so easily

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

32. The Following User Says Thank You to GDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more hampton

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enviro grind day 3

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naj, these are great studies dude!
    Sorry I've been away for a bit everyone! Between Thanksgiving and Finals week I've been swamped.
    Along with that I am entering the student gallery showing at my school and also that TAD/DeviantArt contest. So, I'll comment on the work and stuff after tomorrow is over. But for now, a quick upload of a WIP enviro

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Stu working that landscape yh, get on some studies for it bro get a stronger push between for middle n background. Push atmospheric perspective or pressure more damn forgot what it was called lol.

..wheres the rest of the work though?! Come on man get busy no excuses!! Christmas coming up, u can slidewith the thanksgiving one, but no xmas dinner excuses lol! ..not unless ur sending me some

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great style and studies. I'm inspired by your themes!

"The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1