C.O.W. #280. Game Critter: Spitter - VOTING!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite set of spitters.

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Artka

11 21.57%
  • scorge

3 5.88%
  • lkjhgfdsa

13 25.49%
  • Klaustrophil

0 0%
  • Whiskey Sour

3 5.88%
  • fireframe

0 0%
  • Daniel Hurd

1 1.96%
  • j.zhang

4 7.84%
  • marcoferrigno

0 0%
  • Epicraft

0 0%
  • Tirwa

8 15.69%
  • ricardops

0 0%
  • DefiledVisions

8 15.69%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #280. Game Critter: Spitter - VOTING!

Round #280 - Voting!

Topic: Game Critter: Spitter

Deadline for voting: December 4th, 2012

Round Requirements:

- The creatures must be capable of firing long-range projectiles via its own anatomy
    - The creatures must be stationary or only capable of the most minimal of movements (think snail speed)
    - The creatures should feel like they could belong in an action game
    - There must be little to no background present in the design sheet
    - There should be 4 variations on similar concepts for the design sheet

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; November 27th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artka Spitters

Artist: Artka

Concept: Spitters

Basically they all attack spitting acid through their mouths, I tried to keep that consistent since I changed their appearance quite a bit.
    They were also supposed to be stationary or almost stationary, in my case all of them are able to move (slowly), I tried to give them a lot of weight to convey this slow movement.
    The scale was very important in this case, they are a special group among their own species, growing larger, sacrificing their mobility while developing vesicles where they can storage "extra" gastric acid, which serves them as a very deadly and ranged weapon.

Name:  spitting2res.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  166.4 KB

Last edited by Artka; November 25th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Artka For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Acid, saliva laden with boogers, hot lava and straight up nasty slime are a few of the options available with this set of Spitters. Use them against your hero to incite mayhem and utter frustration, leading to serious loss of hit points and downright demoralizing feelings of being insulted. Available for all those who want to add a little more bodily-fluid flinging action to their platform.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: Creymaster Chrysalis Critters - Spitters
    Creymaster critters have invaded earth. They are parasitic and feed from whatever their creymaster attaches itself to and grow into whatever form their hivemind demands of them. These 4 are spitter variants.

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: klaustrophil

So here`s my very first entry. My 4 variations attack by spitting poison or acid. They are sea shell like creatures that can`t really move. Except the snail-like creature.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klaustrophil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Whiskey Sour

This is an Animal/Plant hybrid able to spit a short distance with their flower stigma, a secondary mouth able to defend head on against melee predators, a small tree on their backs to get energy from the sun, and large feet to turn, re-position, and provide stability for this creature. 1) African savanna 2) desert 3) reptile 4) aquatic
    Name:  CoW#280_WhiskeySour.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  518.1 KB

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey Sour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: fireframe

Concept: Living catapult (spitters)

Produces some sort of toxic goo or jelly on the end of a spoon- or shovel-like arm and throws it like a catapult.

Name:  livingcatapult-finals.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  174.1 KB

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fireframe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Daniel Hurd

Concept: Spitters from Earth 2178
    Wow for this COW I almost gave up after seeing all the talent in the WIP thread. I felt I didn't stand a chance against such skilled artists. However I remembered the real reason I am here- to learn and develop as an artist and hopefully to eventually do concept art professionally. I really have to thank everyone in the WIP thread for the kind words and amazing critiques. There is so many awesome talented folks on this site! I look forward to seeing everyone's designs! Good luck!

The year 2178 on planet Earth. It's a very different world. Humans had to abandon it because toxicity levels became far too high to sustain human life. The animals had no option though and were forced into evolving. These creatures are all very different but employ a similar tactic- spitting.
    *The top left corner is a spitting reptile that clings to cave walls and waits for prey to haplessly crawl past.
    *The top right is a large burrowing creature that lives in the great lava fields that were once the American midwest. It too uses a specialized tongue capable of delivering a paralyzing toxin on it's prey.
    *The bottom left corner is a alien critter- it crashed to earth in a meteorite and has adapted to life on earth. It has a specialized organ that erupts from above it's large single eye. This organ spit's out toxic gas and spores that infect and melt prey- this way the creature can easily consume it's meal without chewing.
    *The bottom right corner is a large mammal related to seals and walruses of the past. It lives on the acidic sea shore of the new arctic. It is extremely slow moving and spits foul smelling vomit to scare away predators.

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  final280Hurd2.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  489.2 KB

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Hurd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: j.Zhang

All of these creatures burrow themselves and remain in one place, they spend most of their lives sleeping, and waiting patiently for unsuspecting prey to wander along.

From left to right:
    -shoots poisonous saliva at target (eats poisonous fruits and flowers), lives in forests, commonly found in batches of gargantuan wild flowers.
    -shoots large wads of saliva at target, saliva freezes upon ejecting since it lives in arctic climates. Suppliments its projectiles by warming its body to melt the surrounding snow/ice, absorbing it and spitting it out.
    -shoots teeth-like projectiles, lives in marsh-lands
    -shoots corrosive saliva a target, lives in ancient caves with volatile conditions, the environment it lives in makes it radioactive

@Daniel_Hurd glad you finished the c.o.w =] if you keep that attitude up, you've already won half the battle.

Name:  j.zhang-spitters-1920px.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  354.9 KB

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to j.zhang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Marco Ferrigno

Concept: Critter Spitter - Belcher
    In every game theres an enemy creature that can be a bit deceptive when it comes to taking it down, quite often you'l spend a round of ammo blasting away at a large armored area thats very visible and draws your attention when theres actually a smaller weak point somewhere else on the body. My idea with this creature was to go with a fat acid belching mess of a beast that draws your attention to the distended body rather than the weak joints in the legs that are struggling to hold the creature's obese frame up.

Name:  REVISED_LAYOUT.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  507.9 KB

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marcoferrigno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Epicraft

Concept: Spitter Worm
    Here is my Spitter Final. These worms wait under the surface until the player gets with in range. They then emerge from the ground, walls or ceiling and begin firing their projectiles. I'm thinking the projectiles could be either some kind of acidic venom, or explosive plasma. Hope you all like it, and I want to give a special thanks to DefiledVision, for his very helpful advice. Without it I may never have gotten this far along with the painting. On a side note my image is a little fuzzy compared to my original, I'm using a jpg format which I think your supposed to use. However I can't seem to figure out how to keep it sharp. If any one knows how to fix this please let me know.

Name:  Spitter fiinal 2.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  154.5 KB

Last edited by Epicraft; November 28th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Epicraft For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Tirwa

Concept: Spitting Bug Critters
    The main ideas, is some bugs that've evolved to be spitting creatures. Their bellies contains some corrosive substance that they can spit. Being to heavy to move, they're well armored but have to protect their soft parts. They can protect themselves using their huge forearms while not firing.

Name:  cow28007.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  202.2 KB

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tirwa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, first of all, i must give thanks to all for that incredible artwork, gj gj gj, thats a awesome cow

Artist: Ricardops

Concept: Spitter concept art variations
    The siege engines called spitter are prepared to destroy worlds, they are part of an army created to obliterate planets, these machines use the planets resources against them, they devour all living matter, they digest it, and then expel excrement through the holes prepared for that.
    Throughout my studies, I found that some of them wear armor attached to their bodies, and through some canyons that connect with their digestive systems,they shoot their hellish shots...
    No planet that looks ever attacked by them will survive, none have succeeded yet, we can only pray that we do not have the same fate ...
    Archmage Samal.

Name:  final cow 280.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  418.4 KB

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ricardops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: DefiledVisions

Concept: Spitters and shooters

I wanted to design 4 different creatures I'd enjoy fighting/killing in an action game. Even though they have the same elongated body as a base, I tried to keep their designs unique and interesting.

Top left creature spits or shoots lava. I imagine it being an annoying creature in an action rpg such as Diablo II or Torchlight II, found in volcanic or fiery regions.

Top creature spits acid. I'm not sure if it can be seen through its design, but I wanted this to be a really risky creature to face. When you kill it will explode and all the acid inside its body will flow out. This also fits in a action-rpg.

Top spits sticky webs. I wanted this to be an enemy encountered in a horror game or darker fantasy game. I was inspired by some of the uncomfortable creatures in Zelda: Ocarina of Time such as the Like-Like that swallows you and spits you out. Imagine walking around in a dark dungeon and suddenly from nowhere get stunned by sticky webprojectiles and hear creepy noises from the darkness.

Bottom creature fires spikes from its tail. I imagine it being a very slow-moving tanky kind of creature with a nasty defense. .. Flip it over and hit the weak spot for massive damage.

Last edited by DefiledVisions; November 28th, 2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: updated the description. Was too tired to write one yesterday

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is now up!

Okay, so there's been a really nice strong showing this round. I have not eliminated anyone this round, but there were a few people who had entries that were close.

The following is a list of creatures that I felt did not adequately follow the brief, but I allowed in based on the other 3. In almost every case, the problem was that the creatures seemed to have too strong a means of locomotion. That is to say, they seem like they would be capable and competent at locomotion. Obviously my judgements of your creatures are speculative, which is the best I have to go on, so bear with me. I feel you all well deserved being in the poll.

Artka - Creatures c and d seem too capable of locomotion.
    lkjhgfdsa - Artillery creature would seem to have locomotive limbs, but I understand the concept and understand that it may not be the case.
    Daniel Hurd - Bottom right seems too capable of locomotion.
    j.zhang - Furthest seems too capable of locomotion.

Close to rejection from poll:

marcoferrigno - reason - Not enough variance in designs. I did not specify the degree of variance required, so I felt it unfair to eliminate you on that count.
    Epicraft - reason - Though the rest of the creature could be extrapolated, I felt that not enough of the creature was shown. In the future be aware that at least 75% of the creature must always be visible. It is unclear, in your image, just how much of the creature is.

Last edited by Si_Swe; November 27th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, it's been way too long since I did a run of critiques for this. Seeing as that's (as I see it) part of my job, I apologize for that. Here's a set for this round.

Artka – Nice lighting, and your designs have a very “cool” flavor to them. They feel like they could easily fit into a modern action sci-fi game. I'm not sure how I feel about worm designs with relation to the brief. The concept of the worm/maw creature has always been a mobile concept, to me. Less of a sarlac and more of a sand worm. Your third creature in this batch is anomalous in design, it's an interesting departure, but given the conceptual cohesion of the other three, it would have been better suited to a larger sample size, with greater variance in overall design. As it stands, the creature feels both a little too capable of movement (at least with the size and positioning of it's limbs) in addition to feeling out of place design-wise. As rendering goes, you have a nice sense of light and form, but you use brushes that are way to small for the surfaces you're covering and as a result what at first looks like texture becomes visual business and muddies and textures you might have wished too appear smoother.

scorge – One of my favourites this week. The designs are really original, and I feel follow the brief perfectly. I can totally picture these guys in a more cartoon-styled game (Skylanders or Rare's properties, for example). There's a really nice variance in design and colour-palette. I feel like some sparing specular highlighting could really wonders on the texture of some of the creatures, particularly the green skin of the third creature, and parts of the snail-shell on the second which currently feels a little bit visually dead in comparison to the rest of the creature. As a nitpick, the spitting effect on the final creature really feels like you confined it into the frame instead of letting the canvas expand a bit, it's a little bit squished in and awkward, for something which should feel dynamic and open. In the end I felt this set was the best interpretation of the brief and scored my vote.

lkjhgfdsa – Really nice to see your work return to Creature of the Week. This set has a really nice sense of cohesion, variance and originality. I do feel like the colours look a bit washed out. Darkening the creatures overall and adding specular highlights in white I feel could really make the creatures pop more, they feel a little bit too overall matte at the moment, which is a shame considering the myriad of texture you have in each creature. I love the design of the final creature, but much like with my crit of Artka, I feel like it lacks the same level of cohesion as the other 3. Perhaps if it's limb structure more closely mimicked the rooted approach you've taken with the others I wouldn't take issue. All it would take is for the limbs to come together a little further down, I think. Very strong work and one of my favourites this week, overall.

Klaustrophil – What I really appreciate about this set is the intense level of variance and originality of design. There is a level of focus given to the important elements of the creatures that really allows the details to shine. There are several major issues with the rendering, though, that prevent the set from being truly great. Firstly and most importantly is the lack of attention paid to value. At the moment almost everything is sitting right in the midtone range, with smatterings of darks to provide form. There are almost no highlights, and what there are reach barely out of the midrange. A more balanced attention to value will help establish a better sense of form and will ultimately allow you to control composition and focus in a much more comprehensive way. As it stands, because of the overpowering use of midtones alongside a mid-tone background, everything becomes muted and less interesting to the eyes. One thing I mentioned as a positive is that you have different levels of attention paid to the creature's anatomy to highlight the creature's important elements, but it causes parts of the creature to look overly sloppy. Finding a balance of when to render and when to hint at form is important to making great paintings, but you shouldn't ever let that make parts of your image look sloppy. Just look at the juxtaposition of the rendering of the top and bottom of the bottom left creature. Because the top is so detailed, it makes the bottom look unfinished instead of out of focus.

Whiskey Sour – This set is a little more inline with the environment-based variance that was the focus of the last “game critter” variants round rather than variance in overall design (which is, technically, what I was asking for this round). There's a nice sense of the whimsical in these pieces and the way you've melded heterogenous elements is very interesting. Your rendering here needs a larger brush, the overuse of small brushes is really mudding up your rendering. Intensifying the contrast in these pieces would also work wonders, as they feel a little flat as a result of the current level of tonal variance.

fireframe – I'm surprised to see that you have one of the only (if not the only) use of a catapult-type of projectile mechanism. I would be sparing in the use of phototexture overlays, as (especially when they aren't painted into) become obvious and can make a work look tacky or disjointed. A stronger sense of light and shadow would benefit your work. At the moment you appear to be using white and black to establish light and shadow, which ends up looking unnatural (black muddies your colours, while white washes them out). Light and shadow are much better conveyed by a combination of value and hue. Use warm and cold to determine light and shadow, rather than black and white. You are currently using too small a brush, which makes your rendering look busy and messes with your edge control. Using a larger brush with confident strokes will really help smooth your edges and decrease the business of the textures.

Daniel Hurd – Here's another instance of extreme variance in the designs. Your ideas are clear and well-communicated. The main promblem then comes from the rendering. While I have no qualm with line, at the moment you are relying to heavily on line to establish form. A stronger focus on light and shadow to establish form will help, particularly when it comes to creatures like the bottom left and the top right, whose ambiguous lighting flattens the creatures almost entirely. In cases like the top right creature, the dynamism in the pose doesn't really come across and the piece may have been stronger if it were a more stationary posing. Keep improving, tighten up that rendering and you'll have some really strong work.

j.zhang – Your rendering is really nice and smooth. Good sense of light and variant textures. With the degree of variance you've managed to maintain across the board, the fact that the middle two designs are so similar anatomically bothers me a bit, in the same way that the unity of Artka and lkjhgfdsa's designs make one of theirs seem anomalous. As I mentioned, despite it's being covered in your description, the left-most creature feels more like one would find it skittering around, rather than buried in place. A reduction on the number of limbs would help with this issue. I think the piece would be much stronger without the figure for scale. Without the figure, the creature's designs allow us to fill in the blanks on size. The creatures in the middle, for example, feel much larger than the creatures on the outside, which feel like they would be better suited to a more human-sized proportion. The figure placed dead in the center also creates this awkward null zone in the center of the image, drawing far more attention than it needs.

marcoferrigno – As I mentioned, I almost eliminated your entry based on the degree of variance for your entry being so small. I suppose I did not mention in the brief that greater variance was expected, but given the 2-week deadline I feel that more than simply the lower limb structures could have been altered. At the moment there is a disparity in the rendering of your creature. The phototexture in particular creates an awkward separation between the smooth rendering on the main body, versus the much more rough rendering on the limbs. The phototextures uniformity is also working to flatten the bulbous forms of the creature's body, which would otherwise have a greater degree of volume, given the shading and highlights you've done. Phototextures are a tricky thing, they really have to be worked back into to work properly, otherwise they can really work against your own ability to paint. They're tempting to use because we're working digitally, but you should allow your own (not unsubstantial) ability to paint speak for itself.

Epicraft – You're using colour boldly, and there's a nice variance in the worm-like design despite sticking to a consistent singular concept. While you appear to grasp shading to establish form, your work is significantly lacking a light source, so the shading does less to establish form than it otherwise might. Don't be afraid of contrast, it's your greatest ally in creating form. In the future, I'd like to see more of the creatures themselves. Don't hide half of them underground.

Tirwa – Very strong work, in my list of favourites this round.. Easily the most conceptually unified set of creatures, as I see it. Nice variance in design and the colour palette you've chosen for each creature really highlights that. I will mention that some of your shading comes across as a little bit stiff, if you know what I mean. Take, for example, the red creature: the grey you've used for shadows is so abrupt and blunt that it flattens the forms where they should be tapering off. A combination of your painterly qualities with some subtle use of softer brushwork might help to counteract some of this bluntness. I acknowledge that this may be the result of doing 4 creatures in a rougher state, rather than actually polishing a single creature, so feel free to ignore that bit if you feel that this is the case.

ricardops – Stylistically this piece really stands out from the rest of the entries. You've taken a style that's reminiscent of intaglio printing which is something I can definitely get behind. One thing I should mention is that in Creature of the Week, clothing and accessories are forbidden, and it appears as though several of these creatures possess such inorganic elements. I understand that this fits within the demonic aesthetic that you were striving for, but it's something to keep in mind. Despite a strong attention to form, I do feel that heavier levels of contrast within the washes you have filling in the creatures would have helped establish forms in a much stronger way. I also feel that these creatures are relatively arbitrary in their designation as “spitters” given that their spitting organs/method are not emphasized in any meaningful way. Because of your line density, there are parts of the creature that become to busy and become difficult to read.

DefiledVisions – Glad to see your work back in Creature of the Week, it's always a pleasure. Very nice interpretation of the brief all around. You have a really luscious way of paint-handling that really brings out nice textures and forms. As with much of your work, you really focus in on the important elements of the creature insofar as rendering goes, and rough out the rest of the creature. In many cases I think this works very nicely, as in the top left creature, where the back end need only really be hinted at. With the case of the right-most creature however the same technique comes into play but works against you. The spinal structure is so interesting that it's much rougher rendering does not do the creature justice. Because that spinal column is the primary compositional tool to draw the eye along the creature, it becomes all the more evident that it looks unfinished. It slowly leads us from the polished mouth of the creature, to the rougher leg structures, which look unfinished when juxtaposed like that. Were the spinal structure to mimic this transition from polished to rough it might solve this problem. Obviously this is only one example of such an issue, but I hope it's clear what I mean with relation to your greater body of work. That aside, this is a really beautiful and original set of creatures. Another of my favourites this round.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the crit Si_Swe! really appreciate it!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feed back Si_Swe, i'll probably end up taking out the figure/adjusting it later on =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great round, guys! I voted for DefiledVisions' beautiful entry, but I wanted to tell Ricardops that his entry was extremely strong for having (at this time) no votes...really imaginative, unconventional designs.

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted to Tirwa because i love that strokes , and well things happens and maybe i was too unconventional this time next time will be better, gj all and lets work!!!

Members who have read this thread: 3