C.O.W. #280. Game Critter: Spitter - WIPs Thread - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: C.O.W. #280. Game Critter: Spitter - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, little wip up.

Great things going on here. It's really motivating, thx all you guyz for this.

Name:  cow28004.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  82.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tirwa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirwa View Post
    @Daniel Hurd: Hey, thx, glad you like my stuff. As Alexa said don't try to get rid of that lines of yours. It's part of your style and it could be great with more volume information. And to my mind, you're not that far from de brief. I hardly imagine your creatures running like hell haha. And you still think they are too mobile, i'm sure you can't slighty modify them.

Well, back to the line thing. If you really wanna try to get a rendering without line, (and it's a good thing to explore other techniques sometimes) I think you should go into it as soon as you can during your workflow. Cause when you have a tight line art, it's sometime hard to destroy it. So keeping the line work quite rough may be easier, in my opinion. Futhermore, mass painting, makes the concept part easier, as you can easily make modification on it, as your ideas may also evolved while painting.

Well that's just my opinions by the way. :p
    @Tirwa
    Your creatures are awesome! Loving the colors too. Thank you for the c&c, I really appreciate it. I am glad so many people enjoy my line art, it's really what I do best artistically. You are right about how difficult it is to get rid of the line art when it's really tight, However to grow and learn I definitely want to experiment like you said. Next COW I will probably try to paint the rough sketch and see how it turns out.

Thanks again Tirwa!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Daniel Hurd - Wonderful linework and designs. They have a strong feeling of 'you'. I like that. As for you wanting to get rid of your linework.. I don't think you should. It works well together with what you have.

When I sketch I usualy take two directions. I either go into line, and build a painting as I did in the tutorial, or a similar process. Or I paint with planes. It's kinda an abstract 3-dimensional way of treating what you paint. I treat my brushstrokes like lumps of clay almost, either adding or subtracting from the form. It's really hard to explain in words, and I'm too tired to do a visual example right now. But I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Anyhow, if you want to start painting and rendering without lines you need to shift your thinking into 3 dimensions as if you were sculpting with paint.

Something that helped me develop this way of thinking was learning how to render in pencil. There's a saying that if you can't render values in pencil you won't be able to paint with them either. I'm not sure how much there is to it though. One thing's for sure, drawing really helped me develope my ability to paint.
    As for painting over a tight line-sketch.. just do it

Giby - Interesting designs. They make me think of huge mechanical creatures though. As for the actual design, by just looking at them I don't really feal any of them being shooters. Only one that makes me feel that way would be bottom right with the tentacle cannons.
    The two at the top don't have the shooting feeling at all, and I can get that bottom-right shoots from the serpent on its back. But at the same time it doesn't feel like part of its anatomy. It feels like a seperate creature on another creature, and not one single creature. There's still time to go over your designs so keep at it!

Scorge - you crazy son of a.. wonderful designs! I love each one of them! if I'd have to pick one though I'd go for the pink snail. It's so awesomely cute, both the body as well as the shell. Very nice design.

Tirwa - Lovely bugs! really liking the designs. I don't have much to add. You could keep rendering them, but I think they're great as they are now. Something to consider would be markings or patterns to distinguish them even more from each other and also break up the color symmetry a bit (Some purple/violet lines or spots would look great in the blue bug for instance, kinda what you've got going on in its forelimbs). The two top one's are still my favourites!

lkjhgfdsa - I remember thinking I'd never be able to spell your name, until I found out about the trick ... *cough* Really awesome designs! Just pure win. I'd love to see these in a game.

Been working on my concepts most of the evening. Things are turning out the way I want them to and it feels great. Here's a sneak-peak of one of my creatures!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wip wpi ipw piw
    Name:  digi_0076.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  226.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, the wip's just keep comin', looking really cool guys.

first colour pass tonight, probably change a lot by the time the deadline rolls around, especially the ceiling critter...

Name:  j.zhang-cow-colour-pass-001.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  218.4 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j.zhang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DefiledVisions - I can't thank you enough for the advice! I love the 'clay' analogy, it really helps me visualize how to do it. I will have to spend some time experimenting. I think next week's COW I will try doing a really rough sketch with some values- then like you said paint right over it and imagine it more 3D and use the paint like clay to mold it.
    BTW, great work so far this week, can't wait to see your finished designs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not able to enter this event this time but thought I'd share with everyone something that I had tossed together on my take. Please any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Name:  Spitter 2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  472.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tirwa: Awesome concepts man thats a professional work, GJ.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ricardops For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    trying out a new approach to creature design, starting off of a closely cropped extreme close up bug shot. i think this was once a mantas' head...

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didnt notice a creature design thread till just now! thought there was only CHOWS, damn gona jump i on this, done some quick lines, damn need to do some research... so basic >.<

Awesome entries so far gonna whip up a few more designs and then hopefully do the 4 variation of the chosen specimen.

Catch yall soon! Gonna go eat, all these tasty lookin creature making me hungry lol

What is the true value of a painting?, it is not it's price but the light it takes to create it

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Najmul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx all for your comments and advice.

Name:  cow28006.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  108.2 KB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tirwa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres the next one.. thinking more siege ballistae/catapult variation for this design

What is the true value of a painting?, it is not it's price but the light it takes to create it

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Najmul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MUHAHAHAHAHA photoshop trid to crash on me after i finsiehd the drawing.. my heart plummeted.. but jut about managed to Printscreen it before i lost it all.. hit adjustment levels and bamm got my work back! Naj 1, Photoshop NIL!

Ok so this is the third design, apologize for the loss of clarity spent a bit more time on this, better lineweight though the PS crash to prinstscreen kinda knocked down the quality. Quick sktch anyhow.

This is the Parasite mutant spitter, it ejaculates on its victim and then grows within it. Variations would depend on the size and type of the animal infected

Crits welcome and please let me know which one youd like to see taken to a final stage.. if i have time that is

just realised i was supposed to call them all COWS.. -____-

Last edited by Najmul; November 26th, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: im a dumbass

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Najmul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, NajMul, dunno wth you came from, but wow, great sketches there! I look forward to seeing your progress.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, well... been busy with the holiday and work, and I'm finally getting around the last three spitters.

Here is the WIP for number two... it's a sorta inflated "balloon" creature that is anchored to the ground via hollow tube-like appendages. It siphons combustible gas from within and then uses it to launch a toxic chemical at the player. I envision that in order to kill the creature, you have to first take out all of its limbs, which would then cause it to float around out of control as it deflates, at which point the player can approach the body/head and finish it off.

More to come... luckily I've got tomorrow off so I can work on this and my other two creatures.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow cool Prometheus, u know waht it reminds me of, the brinstar first area boss form Super metroid, always loved n got creepede out by that boss .. And thanks bro! Yh kinda new here

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:(( Well, didn't finish in time, BUT here's what I did get done...

Hey folks... okay, here is my final WIP for the COW this week. I started losing steam and lost my pacing with my workflow on the floating green jelly spitter, and so now final submission for me. Anyhow, I'm happy to have produced *something*... my first COW entries were garbage compared to this, and yet, I know I've still got a long way to go. I try to think of these as learning experiences, even if it didn't "finish" the challenge... I finished something.

Good luck to everyone who got theirs done! I can't wait for voting and to see what everyone produces!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The new topic will be going up tomorrow morning. I apologize for the delay.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got called out of town; couldn't finish anything this time around. It's been too long since I've had the time to finish an entry! Good stuff in here guys!

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 2