Mermaid creature set
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mermaid creature set

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mermaid creature set

I'm working on something that could be my first series of portfolio pictures right now (athough I'll probably decide that it's not good enough in the end, ekhm). I'd love to get some critique, and suggestions concerning the changes I should make. It's still a WIP, and hence it's not fully rendered, and rough in many places.

Name:  RaymaidHR3.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  422.4 KB

Here is a close-up on the face which is already fairly rendered:
    Name:  Raymaidheadcloseup.png
Views: 311
Size:  787.4 KB

And here sketches of the remaining characters from this set:
    Name:  Meremaids.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  168.2 KB

Thanks for viewing!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey xxFuria! Till now the pice is really flat and not very interesting to look at. You really got to think about the forms of your creature when you try to set light and to render the forms. Actually the pice is missing much of basic knowledge that you need to catch up with. Understandment of shapes, colour affected by warm and cold light, anatomy,.. Search for some photoref and compare and analyze it. Furthermore the whole design is a bit boring till now, because the creature does not really have any texture or very interessting details. If u make a concept of this kind you could think about how this creature lives. Is it cultivated or just an animal like creature. If so how does it for example hunt or defend itself? Does it may have some special mimikry pattern on its skin? Stuff like that. Make research and check out resources to make your concept more interesting and believable. The basic idea is interesting but you didnt go to far with it. So work on your basics and you ll improve. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthias Kinnigkeit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also your first image is too big..please resize

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Artimatum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing I noticed was her pose, it's very static and uninteresting to look at, but it also doesn't really make sense; why is she awkwardly holding up her arm like that? The way her face is turned with her back to us, isn't a very natural pose, normally when looking to the side like that we twist our torso much more, and what is she looking at anyway? Is she admiring her own hand? Her other arm is just dangling there oddly.
    There also seem to be some issues with the anatomy, I'm hardly an expert, but her arms in particular don't look like very convincing arms to me, more like a piece of carton roughly shaped in the form of an arm. And is that lump growing under her armpits supposed to be a breast? I don't think we should be able to see it with the way you've drawn the back and shoulders.
    Did you use a reference? I would also suggest to use a much more fluid pose, especially for a water creature.
    I actually quite like the design myself, although it is indeed pretty simple, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing (:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 730 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That view from the back with the head turned...very, very hard pose. I wouldn't like to try it with a human, let alone a made-up creation.

Number three looks kinda interesting (jellyfish?) and may be more doable. Part of wisdom is knowing what you can pull off at any stage of your development.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the idea of melding human and ray form.

Forget about textures and colours for the time being. I'd like to see a dozen thumbnails of this creature at different angles before you commit to detail. This will give you a chance to explore more interesting compositions.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.