Concepts for my Movie (Chrysalide)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concepts for my Movie (Chrysalide)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concepts for my Movie (Chrysalide)

Hi there, I'm a student in 3d animation, I am preparing my sketches and concepts for my final movie and I would really appreciate opinions and thoughts about my different concepts so far.

Story:

The whole setting is a desolated place with dead/dying plants.

A sort of humanoid that comes out of a cocoon.

Plants are shrinking and dying even more.

The creature starts levitating and disappear through the clouds.

The vegetation starts blooming again.

The End.

Update [November 21st ] - Worked on my concepts, still have a lot of work to do, critique on how to improve those pieces would be appreciated.

Main character
    Name:  Concept_3Poses.png
Views: 123
Size:  449.3 KB

My scene
    Name:  Concept_Environnement.png
Views: 121
Size:  697.2 KB

Concepts (mostly sketches)

Attachment 1631750Attachment 1631751Attachment 1631752Attachment 1631753Attachment 1631754

Last edited by RXMT; November 21st, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have no understanding of any rules. Form, anatomy, perspective. Don't think you can just jump in, its all messy and makes no sense. Break it up, have clear understandings first before going OMG ART! It'll help in the long run.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used the wrong term, those are sketches not concept...

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RXMT View Post
    I used the wrong term, those are sketches not concept...
    Yeah but if they're sketches of concepts, then they're still concept art. Or what are you exactly meaning?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just that they are far from being my final concepts and I'm still exploring for more designs (especially environment)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're obviously far from anything, there is nothing there but a bunch of scribbles. Even my most basic if sketches has form to it. You have to stop making excuses. Either don't post here if you don't like people telling you to learn, or actually listen and go, okay, I'm going to figure it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The top image seems the most developed, but it's kind of confusing because you have a character as well as environments in the same image. I'd like to see that character developed more in a traditional "turnaround" form (show multiple views of the character). It look really interesting, but just seems out of place amidst all those trees.

I like the silhouettes of the trees, but - again - it would be nice to see more detail. Simple highlights and shading would help a LOT.

It's tough for me to critique the other images because they simply aren't far enough along yet.

Here is my Tumblr
    Here is my Twitter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flackattack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're obviously far from anything, there is nothing there but a bunch of scribbles. Even my most basic if sketches has form to it. You have to stop making excuses. Either don't post here if you don't like people telling you to learn, or actually listen and go, okay, I'm going to figure it out.
    Actually I have 2 weeks to create all the concept arts for my movie character, environment accesories. The scribles were mostly for composition study. I'm not done at all, I'm just starting my designs...
    I just can't afford to go and learn, I have to do it and learn at the same time, and that's why I went here, to get constructive criticism about my design.

The top image seems the most developed, but it's kind of confusing because you have a character as well as environments in the same image. I'd like to see that character developed more in a traditional "turnaround" form (show multiple views of the character). It look really interesting, but just seems out of place amidst all those trees.

I like the silhouettes of the trees, but - again - it would be nice to see more detail. Simple highlights and shading would help a LOT.

It's tough for me to critique the other images because they simply aren't far enough along yet.
    Thank you, I will do my character from the front and the side soon and I'll try to add highlights to my thumbnails in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're scribbles. There's no shape or form. I don't care if you have 2 weeks or 2 months. Don't post them if you want to make excuses, because every single god damn reply is "Yeah but..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've put up some new concepts! (Still WIP)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why is his face like that? What has his design got to do with the plot? Is he causing the plants to start blooming again, what is happening and who is he? I'm sorry, but I see a bunch of sketches and a plot that have nothing to do with each other. I'd try making it as simple as possible. Now it seems you're going the other way around and hoping that all the swirly stuff and the "weirdness" in the designs will cover up the fact that you don't know what's happening either. More than polishing the designs I would suggest you make them understandable.

Emiel Inkeri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole concept is that its the creature presence that prevents the plants to bloom. And by leaving, the plants start to bloom again.

I wanted to have a creepy humanoid character, a sort of mutated human.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why?
    Why and how does this creature prevent the plants from blooming? And why does it kill plants more (tho temporarily) when it hatches?

As it is, your concept in writing doesn't give a good enough premise for your creature. Maybe refining the reasons why/how this stuff happens will give you better direction in conceptualizing the creature that causes all of this.

Research parasitic creatures in our own world to give you a good idea of what that tents to look like in real life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jpep For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.